xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Linux petitioners want Sony to open up PS3's graphical innards  (Read 186 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User

Linux petitioners want Sony to open up PS3's graphical innards
Posted by XanTium | 23-4-2007 20:33 EST

From theinquirer.net:

While the linux community is pretty chuffed that Sony lets them stick their fave operating system on the PS3 there's one hitch that is giving them the heebie-jeebies.

The Penguinistas have run into the problem that all versions running on the PS3 have no access to RSX, the Nvidia-sourced GPU.
Access is blocked by the Hypervisor chip so there is no chance of getting around it without Sony's approval. And, naturally, Sony doesn't want geeks producing 3D games under Linux and undermining its investment.

So now there's a a petition online asking Sony to open up the RSX. It's here.

Full Story: theinquirer.net

dmb062082

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »

I doubt this will make a difference but I signed it none the less. Beryl alone would be pretty bad ass on my 42 inch 1080p lcd.  I have tried every distro possible on my ps3 and Gentoo does work the best, with that said it performs about as well as when I ran debian on an older box  with 64 megs of ram.  RSX access would be a great thing.

I could just picture a advertisement of a ps3 running a custom distro branded by Sony  on superbowl Sunday  (YDL AHAH!) displaying the best that gnome+beryl has to offer. Most have not seen this amazing combo in action and it would make a lot of jaws drop. More so with Vistas shit  knock-off off on the move. The return on investment would be very high for Sony if this was the case. Linux can be a great system seller if only they ever had the balls to gather a smart team and properly advertise it the way it should be.

They wont really do this, because the god damn system is CRIPPLED with lack of RSX access. Even with it, its not going to be anything AMAZING, just so you know but it will help a lot.  I don't understand why they do not fully utilize the power that Linux has to offer the ps3, or the power that the ps3 has to offer a said linux distro and force it down peoples throats like they did with blu-ray.

If little Timmy and Uncle Johnny saw the visual power alone that beryl+gnome can offer, through a PS3 2 million more people would want to buy one PS3 that Sunday. There is nothing gimmikish about Linux, but with Sony throttling A LOT of its power  what the fuck was the point of even putting it on there. I cant even call it a shitty computer if it cant compare with a Compaq Persario stock from 1999.

Sony hates Microsoft right? O.K. so they Implemented Linux, cool. Open it up  and put out or close your legs and bend over for Microsoft. Teasing them is just asking for anal raping. So fight back. I think Sony might be afraid of some basement coder porting over (windows) or coding from scratch a powerful  near perfected ps2 emulator in a few years when development in that department improves, as Sony could lose a lot of money that way down the road. I am sure classic ps2 titles will be out for download via ps3 in a year or so. What else are they worried about? They turn down thousands of basement coders each month trying to make games for the ps2/3. Linux wont steal anything from Sony in the gaming department, you know this right... um.. Sony.. lol.

As for a a hacking loophole. Well, as long as you keep online play in high demand, such as XBOX LIVE, well then you have nothing to worry about with firmware upgrades. Put out or get out.

Edit: Some one send a bomb threat to Sony H.Q.! (joking) But it would work better than a petition. Those Japo's are pretty thick headed about Pwaystashon!

This post has been edited by dmb062082: Apr 24 2007, 03:12 AM

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »

Why they don't offer full GPU support with a proprietary driver baffles me.

I have an empty 10GB partition on my PS3's HDD, in hopes that SOMEDAY they'll give us GPU support, so I can actually have some reason to run linux on it.

I suppose they're so twisted into knots making sure there's absolutely no piracy going on that they actually withhold features that would be beneficial to the console.  Typical Sony.

Oh, and dmb062082 - Beryl does look awesome in 1080p on a 42" monitor, that's what I use (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Ser848

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »

from the signatures list:

1574.   DiGiTaL_SiN    Egypt   I want my pirated games! help geeks hack your system and give me them!

biggrin.gif funny guy

halfelite

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »

Even without RSX access we could have lots of good linux apps if they were programmed to thread to each SPE. instead running on the SPU. I think most poeple dont want to put the time into SPE's if they think they could work with the RSX in time.