xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Format Question (partitions)  (Read 202 times)

puppydg68

• Archived User
Format Question (partitions)
« on: November 22, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(ColSandoz @ Nov 20 2006, 08:55 PM) View Post

When I go to the "other OS" option, it says I first have to go to the "format" option to create another OS partition. Will this wipe all the data on the entire drive including the PS3 partition, or will it just create an additional partition and leave the PS3 stuff in tact?

When I go to the format portion, Im afraid to go further into the menus, because I dont want to lose my game saves.

it will format the drive during repartiioning.  you get 3 options

1) Use all for PS3
2) Use 10 Gig for PS3 the rest for Other Os
3) Use 10 Gig for Other OS the rest for PS3

If you think you're going to play with linux at some point, see if you can move your save games to memory card, then re-partion now, sooner than later, before you get too many more game saves.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

Wouldn't it be possible to just connect the drive to your PC and format it with Partition Magic or something without erasing any data?

bonevichio

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Nov 26 2006, 09:54 PM) View Post

Wouldn't it be possible to just connect the drive to your PC and format it with Partition Magic or something without erasing any data?

can you please try and verify?

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »

Windows wants to convert the disk before it reads it. This means that in order for windows to read the disk you will need to lose all the data on it. That kind of nullifies the point in trying to backup what is on there.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »

go ahead and format.  you don't lose a thing.  No i'm not lying.  At least I didn't lose any profiles, or settings I had before.  I didn't have any game saves so not sure if they would go but it doesn't look that way.

tonloc79

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(mrRobinson @ Nov 30 2006, 08:27 PM) View Post

go ahead and format.  you don't lose a thing.  No i'm not lying.  At least I didn't lose any profiles, or settings I had before.  I didn't have any game saves so not sure if they would go but it doesn't look that way.

It deleted my gamesave. I backed it up with a USB flash drive before, luckily.