xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mythtv Frontend  (Read 232 times)

bonevichio

• Archived User
Mythtv Frontend
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

I finally will have a way to make a cheap mythtv frontend system that is capable of playing back hd.

bone135

• Archived User
Mythtv Frontend
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

Let us know how this works out.  I haven't really been following the PS3, but I remember seeing it will support linux.  So it should be trivial to setup a frontend.  I have seen in another post that someone installed fedora, so from there you are basically done.

NME

• Archived User
Mythtv Frontend
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »

I don't know much about linux. Been wanting to get into it for a while now =).
was using stumble plug in for firefox and found this "Step-by-step guide to building a MythTV System on Fedora Core 6 w/ATrpms"
which is the same linux u use for ps3 the only diff will be hardware so hope that helps some1 out there as it would be cool to see xbmc/ linux style!

luther349

• Archived User
Mythtv Frontend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »

as long as the mythtv has a ppc frontend no problem.

bonevichio

• Archived User
Mythtv Frontend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »

it's going to run like crap since linux is crippled on ps3...sux

coedshowers

• Archived User
Mythtv Frontend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »

it should work shouldnt be too bad use a all in wonder usb tv capture & a external usb 250-400gig for storage. just need someone to write the code for fedora which shouldnt be too outragious just a few people with the hardware & resources should be able to do it

spindley

• Archived User
Mythtv Frontend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »

I just spent the weekend setting up MythTV on my ps3 in Gentoo Linux.  So far, it's working quite well.  It will only run in framebuffer however.  I haven't emerged lirc yet, because I don't have a remote; just using the keyboard.  Anyway, using samba, I was able to setup my network shares from my Debian server, and added the paths to all my xvid movies and music to the MythTV frontend.  I set MythTV to use mplayer as the default, and it plays all my xvids just fine.  I had to tweak the mplayer settings to get the best performance I could, and streaming the videos over my network is *slightly* choppy, but quite good.  I guess this is due to the fact that we don't have access to the ps3 GPU yet.  I'm still playing with settings, but all in all, it runs very well.
I decided to install fluxbox instead of KDE or Gnome, because of how lightweight it is.  Still, when streaming videos over the network, mplayer and X use about 70% of the CPU.
I have everything setup so that once Gentoo boots, it logs in to fluxbox, and the MythTV frontend is automatically started.