xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ps3 Out Of Box What We Want Modded Xbox360 To Do?  (Read 1456 times)

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
Ps3 Out Of Box What We Want Modded Xbox360 To Do?
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »

From my observations everyone wants a XBMC or Linux on their xbox360, loads of memory, speed and potential. They want to be able to download movies on their computer and play them through the network on their hdtv w/ xbox360 processing it all. Others want to perform massive calculations on the fly in a command prompt. Now is it just me or is PS3 going to do all that.

Its going to be able to run linux out of the box, and it will be able to play a variety of formats  , mpeg4 and other variations like divx. Its so convenient it is almost like a plea from sony for us not to hack their system.

Anyway, someone just clarify if they are thinking what I'm thinking or their interpretation of this matter. In any case it'd make hacking the xbox360 "for something useful like homebrew" a moot issue, because everyone will say 'dude just get a ps3'   kind of like in other forums where people want emulators on their handhelds of older consoles and people just say "dude, mod an xbox"

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »

well when you're able to get one on the 17th why don't you confirm or deny from your own experience.

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:17:00 PM »

actually I was hoping for 50 pages of speculation like everything else on this site.

I read ps3 scene for my main news, you should too, I know there is a ps3 off topic forum here, but I want xbox360 people attention so some other ppl in my position could see it how i'm looking at it, and then show me where i've read an article wrong and vice versa

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

i just want a game system to game on.  

as for the hacking, regardless of what features out of the box, i can see the ps3 being hacked regardless.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »

256MB of available ram for linux is paltry, and no where near the 'loads' you think it is.  I don't give a shit about linux, and not until it is truly hacked will you be able to use a console to its full potential.

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »

for KDE 256mb is enough, it won't be the web browser crawl that linux is on xbox1 w/ its 64mb ram

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »

Just because it is able to run linux does not mean it can do half the things i want a modded system for.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »

divx  laugh.gif  the PS3 will have about as much media support as the PSP, meaning you'll probably have to convert your stuff to the MP4 format (similarly to how you'd have to convert it to WMV on the Xbox 360)...

with the latest 360 update you can now stream videos from a PC, USB device, or off of a burnt disc.

Linux development doesn't mean jack Sh*t until we see how bogged down it is, just because it's linux doesn't mean it's open for easy development. The Xbox 1 was built on windows, you can write lots of apps for windows but it doesn't mean that you can run any windows apps on it. Just becaus the PS3 is built on Linux doesn't mean you can run or develop any linux apps for it.

you're adding 2 + 2 and getting 5 here.

Becides homebrew is completely useless unless you have a strong comunity that wants to put in the development effort. the PS2 had just as many capabilities as the Xbox 1, and the PS2 also had Linux availble, but no one built any worthwhile homebrew apps because the Playstation development comunity is fairly self centered and doesn't bother with ventures that wont make them any money.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 03:21:00 AM »

Staats say dreams come true

http://www.coloradoa...INESS/610180339

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 04:39:00 AM »

Just wait it out...person ally this has no appeal to me, I mean I already have an xbox and it does what I want it too. Don't need to spend $600 for that. The linux thing could be great but only time will tell. Do yourself a favor and dont blow $600 on a possibility!

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 05:04:00 AM »

Kage360 so when/if the 360 will be modable to run anything you want you won't do it since that breaks the "I only want a games system to game on" ?

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »

That article makes me wonder why sony even bothered with a web browser. They make it sound like everyone is going to buy it at the games store when it's sitting in PS3 games rack. Wonder if you going to be able to run torrents off it, Sony will love that.  biggrin.gif Can we expect monthly firmware updates that take away features of the OS that conflict with sony's business interests. And lawsuits against developers that interfere with sony's bank balance. So far sony has made news of the Linux distro pretty low key, but it seems that have sure talked it up with Terra Soft.

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 4 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

Kage360 so when/if the 360 will be modable to run anything you want you won't do it since that breaks the "I only want a games system to game on" ?

I'll personally admit: I have a fully modded Xbox. I don't (currently) do anything illegal with it (er, technically modifying the console is probably in the gray area, but you know what I mean). I just run a lot of cool little apps. Streaming music and weather, file management, etc.

I modded it, frankly, for Halo. I didn't want to take my Halo disc to LAN games all the time so for a while I had Halo downloaded just so I could save my disc from getting scratched up, and I wound up installing tons of modded content specifically for in-house LAN sessions among friends. I never took the box online. I never distributed the disc, I never shared the files, etc. Just cool little personal uses.

Xbox 360 and the new Xbox Live basically deliver or may eventually deliver all of that. The music features are enhanced so I can play my music anytime. The file management is better. And download content is always expanding- maybe someday, a homebrew mod pack will make Marketplace as an official download. Like how Counterstrike: Condition Zero actually BECAME the Counterstrike that Valve now distributes.

There's not much reason to mod 360 IMHO. Not to mention the difficulty- the hard drive is on a proprietary connector, the disc drives just got anti-hack upgrades, the hardware is infinitely upgradable via the flexible firmware.... etc. Combine lack of need with the uphill battle, and it's not a good modding environment.

PS3 on the other hand is very desirable for modding... and it'll probably be easy. Sony promised the hard drive and BD drive should be fully swappable like PC hardware- which means there could be an instant market in ripping and customizing or selling off that hardware (rip out the $500 BD drive and sell it as a $1,000 player, install a cheap 100GB drive on a PS3 and resell it for a higher price, etc). Sony makes a huge deal of HDMI's anti-piracy power... but if you could hack the PS3 to download a disc straight to the hard drive, outputting the movie in full 1080p via Component cables can't be too far away.

Here's a big one: PS3's current online plans don't allow for messaging people, invites, etc, across games. How long until there's a homebrew pack to allow for Xbox Live -esque functionality? Instant messaging and fiesharing, at the very least, will be instently huge. Hacking is basically demanded here. PS3 lacks functionality that Linux devs could probably implement. Et voila! An out-of-the-box reason for lots of users to get modding.

Combine potential ease of hacking (at least on the drive side for starters) with a real NEED to get things hacked out-of-the-box, and you've got a climate for massive mods.

IMHO.

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 4 2006, 06:43 AM) View Post

Becides homebrew is completely useless unless you have a strong comunity that wants to put in the development effort. the PS2 had just as many capabilities as the Xbox 1, and the PS2 also had Linux availble, but no one built any worthwhile homebrew apps because the Playstation development comunity is fairly self centered and doesn't bother with ventures that wont make them any money.

ps2 dev didn't have as UNIFIED a community as xbox1 nor did it have just as many capabilities.

-ps2's little video memory made everything homebrew slow.

-Loading things off its harddrive did not have any advantage to loading off a cd/dvd because of other bottlenecks.

-HD Loader has so many glitches with so many games. Not like xbox at all.

-Its ethernet adapter is capped at 10mbps, almost useless for trying to stream anything. its a pain sending anything to it.

-its memory cards only read at about 100 kilobytes/sec and using the ethernet adapter thats the only thing you would be sending anything to.

-Couldn't really use the hdd as storage unless you were sending disc images to it

- using Toxic OS on the hdd to watch divx movies was also extremely limited.

- Toxic OS >ONLY< worked with the DMS4 modchip and it didn't have rescaling features like XBMC so you get your divx movies only to have them overscan on screen which often times meants u cant read subtitles and stuff.

- needed a separate PARTITION for toxic OS and ps2 games

- its 300mhz processor limited it for video rendering.  xbox1's 700mhz processor has issues with hdtv and +aac/.h264 codec combinations.... just imagine how well ps2 won't play those files

But at the same time there are PLENTY of homebrew applications on the ps2, but they all have to go on the memory card and its a pain. Not as many capabilities as xbox1 at all. the voice of experience is leaving now.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 4 2006, 07:11 AM) View Post

im a gamer, not a modder.  it interests me and i like to read what has been made possible but in all my years i have never done it.  my xbox1 isnt modded and neither will my 360.  

technology is what grabs my attention not hacking or modding.  

i buy systems to game on, never said i did anything else with them

besides i see the ps3 being hacked LONG before the 360
Pages: [1] 2 3