xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Comes To The Ps3  (Read 1101 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Comes To The Ps3
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »

The Terra Soft Solutions site has been updated to announce that the Yellow Dog Linux distribution will be available for the Sony PlayStation 3 at console launch:

YDL v5.0 is slated for release mid-November with support for the Sony PS3 first, and support for the former Apple PowerPC product line to follow. Any updates required to support the Apple PowerPC systems following the release for PS3 will be made available via a free download.

http://www.linuxgame...action=flatview
This is interesting, and it suggests that perhaps the Native PS3 OS is not Linux (or at least not open), considering this distro must be downloaded. At least it will be available at launch.

I'm curious if they're going to allow the download through the console itself of if you'll have to download it on your PC and install it. Either way it looks like Linux development will be cheaper to get into then it was with the PS2.

Also the above link has some links to PS3 development resources (if you're curious as to what's available for that stuff).

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »

Do you think Sony is doing this to keep people from legally modding their PS3 under the umbrella of "so I can put Linux on it?" This is a pretty smart move on their part to keep piracy from happening.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Oct 16 2006, 01:21 PM) View Post

Do you think Sony is doing this to keep people from legally modding their PS3 under the umbrella of "so I can put Linux on it?" This is a pretty smart move on their part to keep piracy from happening.

I believe that's EXACTLY the reason.

The Linux Development Kit didn't appear until they were approached by a Linux group stating that they wanted an official Linux distro, and if they didn't provide a distro they would hack the console to put Linux on it which would in-inadvertently open the door to piracy. Sony obliged and they got the PS2 Linux developers kit.

The same offer was brought to MS's attention and they pretty much told them to screw off. And IIRC that's where we got exploits and TSOP mods from (as well as some other innovations) laugh.gif  Bunnie would have hacked the console regardless though.

I believe Sony recognizes this as a peace offering keeping Linux fanboys from tearing their security to shreds, which is why they're preemptively allowing a Linux distro... MS on the other hand is just too damn proud to allow their biggest competitor's software to run on their hardware.

Personally I don't think any corporation cares about the EXCUSE of using Linux on their hardware as a reason to crack it, or any excuse for that matter. There are Linux fanatics who DO actually care about running Linux on whatever hardware they can find regardless of the obstacles.

Basically if you look at the security as a wall with a locked door. the Linux fanatics are asking for a key to get in, and if you don't give them a key then they're just going to bust down a wall and let everyone else in with them (namely Pirates)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »

I would imagine you could run anything that would normally run on a linux machine.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »

With fully functional Linux Distro capabilities out of the box. I wonder, as such, how susceptible it is to viruses and trojans.

I would say it is definitely a PC more than it is a game console. This thing will absolutely be better than an Xbox360/HTPC for media. It won't have any restrictions. It will be better than Xbox Media Center for that matter. There will be no media it cannot play. Hell, you could use it as a front end for a HD-PVR.

If all of this is true, this is pretty enticing. XBMC is the main reason I turn on my Xbox anymore.

http://www.mythtv.org/index.php
Check out some screen shots:
http://www.mythtv.or...me=MythFeatures

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

If you acctually get to use and access anything on the ps3 with the linux distro... Oboy

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »

if anyone wants a list of linux applications, then go here http://www.linux.org/apps/index.html. I dont know if there are any more apps available because i never got into linux (it will most likely stay that way) I just looked on that one site.

But basically the PS3 will be able to do things that a modded PS2/PSP will do? That sounds pretty cool. If this is officially going to be on the console without download (or download for a nominal fee), then i think thats what Sony should include in their advertising for buying a PS3, since it seems to be doing poorly in everything else.

henmill

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »

this is the first time i've thought positively about ps3, a nice change of pace for sure.  cell processor + 60gb hdd + blu-ray player + killer graphics(and hi-def) + Linux capabilities = a darn cheap yet powerful LINUX machine (home server/media center).  however it is still a ridiculously expensive GAMING machine.  Also, I thought half the fun of running linux on something is hacking it to figure out exactly how to do it.  I now straddle the fence.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

I think people forget that they had linux on the PS2 as well...

I guess I just don't understand why no one gave a shit about PS2 Linux but suddendly it's a ZOMG! Features on the PS3  uhh.gif

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 16 2006, 07:56 PM) View Post

I guess I just don't understand why no one gave a shit about PS2 Linux but suddendly it's a ZOMG! Features on the PS3  uhh.gif

I thought the Linux for the PS2 was just a web browser uhh.gif

If the PS3 can be a home server, would it halt the gaming capabilites as long as the server was up? what about the media center?

And why is it so hard for Sony to come up with software for themselves? Why do they have to have so many different companies supporting them (xfire, gamespy, and now linux)?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »

PS2 Linux is a full fledged Linux distro, it can do pretty much anything a Linux PC can do, I've even seen a Beowulf cluster of them setup for calculating Pi  laugh.gif

henmill

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »

don't get me wrong, I still would not want to buy a ps3 for linux.  it just kinda took me by suprise.  The point of my previous post was to point out that it would be a rational alternative for people to get a powerful pc to run virus-free linux and still game well for $600.  this might be appealing to the average computer end user.

and I guess you could say that I did forget about PS2 linux because i've never modded or looked into modding a PS2.  but PS3 linux apparently will require no hacking/exploits, which is appealing to the less tech-savvy or anti-warranty voiders out there.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 10:52:00 PM »

The ps2 linux didn't require any modding either

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

well linux sounds cool, but I dont think its the right way to go. Yes sony is trying to appeal to us modders, but they arent looking at the average gamer (who makes up most of the gaming community). m$ is more appealing to the average gamer, most my friends have never even heard of linux and are most interested in a Gaming machine rather than a multimedia box

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 01:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 16 2006, 08:56 PM) View Post

lol that is a good question.  How was the PS2 linux community, any media center type front ends?  Might be interesting to play around with.

QUOTE(buttface96 @ Oct 17 2006, 01:23 AM) View Post

well linux sounds cool, but I dont think its the right way to go. Yes sony is trying to appeal to us modders, but they arent looking at the average gamer (who makes up most of the gaming community). m$ is more appealing to the average gamer, most my friends have never even heard of linux and are most interested in a Gaming machine rather than a multimedia box

Who says you can't have both?  Anyway, Sony keeps touting the PS3 as the multimedia center of your living room so if running a Linux distro makes it that much closer, great.  Nobody is forcing the "gamers" to run Linux and it is a nice value added feature for those of us who would like to take advantage of it.

You will also have media center type capabilites via the stock XMB GUI just like on the PSP if you don't want to mess with a Linux UI.  I'm hopeful somebody will make a front end ala XBMC.
Pages: [1] 2