xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Speculation On Ps3's Os  (Read 605 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« on: April 14, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »

PS3Portal.com has posted an article called "Inside the PS3" that takes a look at how the competing consoles utilize resources while running the OS in the background of games:

...Everything that one wants to do involving software on a Game Console, specifically while the user is playing games, comes at a cost. In the case of the Xbox360, this cost is approximately 2% of total CPU time and 6.25% of the Xbox360's total available RAM. Balancing these out, one could argue that MS has removed a total of 4% of the Xbox360's total available system power in order to provide these features and more which were not mentioned.

...In the case of the PS3 this equates to 25% of the available Cores on the CPU and 18.75% of the available RAM in the system. Balancing these out, one could argue that Sony has removed a total of 23% of the available system power in the PS3 for these features

Of course, this is all based on anonymous sources. The author even admits he doesn't quite know what he's talking about. But then, we are Xbox fanboys and this could be blood in the bathtub. Is MS simply better at coding than Sony (as some PS3 fans seem to fear), or is Kutaragi's time-bending 4D OS simply doing more, i.e. multi-video chat? Does hogging nearly a quarter of system resources mean the PS3's bells and whistles are coming at the expense of its games?

www.xbox360fanboy.com

PS3 portal has some juicy information that has come to them by way of some anonymous, yet informative sources. You know what that means: it must be true! be cautious about what you read. Even they go as far to say that all this could change before the end. But either way, the information sounds pretty insightful.

At any rate, these guys have some in-depth facts about the upcoming next-gen console. The details start out like any good diagnosis would: with a comparison! Giving you a rundown of the Xbox 360 system sets the reader up for what to expect when talking about the PS3. Some of the information regarding the behind-the-scenes processing is laid out below:

- 32MB of the 256MB of available GDDR3 memory off the RSX chip
- 64MB of the 256MB of available XDR memory off the Cell CPU
- 1 SPE of 7 constantly reserved
- 1 SPE of 7 able to be "taken" by the OS at a moments notice (games have to give it up if requested)

This is about 23% of the total system power for the PS3, which is a far cry from the 4% set aside for the Xbox 360's OS. Of course we still don't know what kind of applications Sony has in mind for this nearly-quarter allotment, or if that's even going to be the final specification! Even so, we'd like to believe they have a lot in store for gamers when it comes to the operating system's functionality.

www.ps3fanboy.com

just some food for thought  pop.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »

well isn't that interesting....

throwingks

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »

Its all on paper and not real world applications. I have a feeling that they will be about equal in power. Graphics and games will all be dependant on the programmers skills.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Apr 14 2006, 02:58 PM) View Post

Its all on paper and not real world applications. I have a feeling that they will be about equal in power. Graphics and games will all be dependant on the programmers skills.

oh i totally agree.  i have always said from the beginning even before last years E3, that the systems will be about equal in power.  its not like the last generation where there is a generation gap between hardware or one system has more memory then the other.  it will all come down to the developers and games.

i think the main reason why news or rumors like these make such headlines is because of the promises and claims that sony has made over the last year.  i dont think there are as many people out there who will be so ignorant to sony's BS.  its all more of a reality thinking IMO.  if sony kept it low key, this kind of news would have little impact

Deftech

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Apr 14 2006, 02:31 PM) View Post

i think the main reason why news or rumors like these make such headlines is because of the promises and claims that sony has made over the last year.  i dont think there are as many people out there who will be so ignorant to sony's BS.  its all more of a reality thinking IMO.  if sony kept it low key, this kind of news would have little impact

precisely

when their leader Mr Kenny K spews the crap he does, hes just asking for trouble.

the ignorance will always be there. They could release another prerendered video of killzone and millions would believe it was real time in game, theyd think "sony would never try to pull a fast one after last years debacle"

and thats precisely why theyd try again  laugh.gif

throwingks

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

Its marketing man. When main stream media catches on, Sony will up their game, and vice versa. At least more people understand that it is a game now.

Kind of like steroid testing or computer viruses. It is an everlong battle.

Deftech

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Apr 14 2006, 08:50 PM) View Post

Its marketing man. When main stream media catches on, Sony will up their game, and vice versa. At least more people understand that it is a game now.

Kind of like steroid testing or computer viruses. It is an everlong battle.

Indeed, and sony knows how to capitalize on that. Its the zombies that throw their loyalty blindly into the sony corner, that need to be dealt with. Sony is just doing what they are supposed 2 do, convince consumers and make $$. Theyd be foolish not to take advantage of the sheep they've had following them for 10 years.

The hype machine is a couple weeks away, how many dumbass comments do you think Kenny K will make @ this years E3???

Hahahaha

Neilinator99

• Archived User
Speculation On Ps3's Os
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »

this linux os is gonna be just like the 360 dash you gonna have a pretty nice setup and maybe theyl throw in a limited web browser like the one on the PSP but just because they say linux dont automaticly think of your computer