xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Constant Blue Light + Don't Hear/see Motor Moving  (Read 807 times)

acps

• Archived User
Ps3 Constant Blue Light + Don't Hear/see Motor Moving
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

Was playing Killzone 3 co-op with my cousin and then my PS3 notified me that it was starting to overheat. Figured it was a good time to replace the thermal compound. After applying and rebuilding, ran into a problem with the ribbon cable (forgot to take it off the motherboard) and it was pinned down by the metal sheet above it. Problem was that there was a stripped screw and it was a pain to remove. Eventually I removed it with a screw extractor bit, but not without some tugging and pulling on the ribbon cable beforehand. Not sure if that's the reason why I'm getting this problem, I just mentioned it just in case.

Now back to the main problem, the blue LED will always stay on, even if there is no disc inside. At first I thought it was the gears or whatnot and I reset them to their original position, no luck. In addition, I never hear or even see the motor moving at all. Now I think it possibly could be the ribbon cable, there are no rips in the cable, but it did get abused before I bought the screw extractor(about 2 days prior). The other solution could be a new circuit board on the blu ray drive, heard it was married to the motherboard so not sure how to deal with that.

Here's a youtube clip I made of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7dSCSx9BQc

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:56:00 AM »

I think the problem is that ribbon. Can I see the ribbon in question? can you post a photo?

dasjones

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »

Usually the problem is with or around the disc sensor (the one on the top cover that goes to bottom with red and black wire.