xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Drive On Phat Ps3 Won't Spin!  (Read 374 times)

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
Dvd Drive On Phat Ps3 Won't Spin!
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »

I changed the laser recently on the drive of a phat PS3, but after testing, I assempled it all together and it didn't recognize any dvd. I re-open it and this time will not spin the discs at all. I changed laser (whole mechanism) with a working one and still no spinning. After some observation around I figured out that something is missing on the dvd controller board. That could cause the issue? Just bridging it would work or I have to replace it with the same value component? Anyone knows what is this?

IPB Image

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »

OK... So I changed with another laser, changed the motor mechanism, checked all the gears inside, replaced the sensor on top, checked the bumerang shaped metal under the drive and.... still same result!

The drive gets the Blue-Ray,DVD,Cd disc inside, I hear the laser len move once (like click noise) and the disc won't spin a bit!

I read that upgrading or re-installing the firmware (currently v.3.21) might fix teh issue, because there reported many such kind of failures just after people updated to this version. Is it possible???  My guess is that my customer did such thing

I will give it a try tonight and post results.

P.S. I bridged the spot on the photo, without any change on the drive's behavior. So I put it back to original status.

This post has been edited by MadMaxGR: Feb 10 2011, 04:47 PM

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:04:00 AM »

OK... I updated to 3.42, I even formatted the HDD and still the same thing. I am expecting new lasers next week. I will replace it again, just in case to see if that is the cause, but I doubt it, since I see the laser moving and beeing blue as supposed to.

I will post results as soon as I get the spare parts on hand.

This post has been edited by MadMaxGR: Feb 11 2011, 11:05 AM

Mr Spoon87

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:48:00 AM »

Have you tried reintalling the drivers using the restore menu?

BKster

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »

Check that tray alignment?..Then again it could be another PS3 secret.Could be a little of nothing.Did you wear rubber gloves and grounded your self while installing?...Next time try wearing gloves when you get the new one again and see if you get better results(prevent anti static..you will never know)...but first I would check the tray alignment inspect the entire drive.i lot of problems can be found by being very observant.

No anti-static ball to take off anywhere on the new laser?....better yet ..was the laser ever really actually new????...I dont know so Im asking....Does the PS3 laser have Pot tweaks also???

But you did say you see the blue beam...try cleaning the laser with a q-tip with a little alcohol...shouldnt hurt nothing...your finger may blurred the laser eye while installing....Could be just a focus problem...

I bet that's... that 400a laser with all the laser emitters stack on top of each other that they dont make anymore...They started the 410a after CECHGO1...so that mean that laser that you installed could be a reman...because they stop making them.I have read a lot of other members getting bad lasers that was suppose to be new.They replace the diode then call them new..

After some observation around I figured out that something is missing on the dvd controller board. That could cause the issue?

Never overlook the obvious...if you know its suppose to be a component there...find out the value and what type of component and replace it...that may just solve all your probs...bridging them missing component pads may not be enough...???...replace it before anything..

B.K. The Tech'

This post has been edited by BKster: Mar 13 2011, 05:06 PM

MorboTron

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »

Sounds to me like one of two things.
  1. Bad laser unit.
  2. Bad BD Rom Driver chip

A lot of times, if you change the laser in an older PS3, the BD Rom driver chip (The one that controls the worm gear and drive spindle motors, not the BGA chip that holds the encryption key.) can blow out.

The Number on the IC is BD7956FS

(IMG:http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t45/DarthMorbius1977/Muncie%20Game%20Armory/159003_F.jpg)

This causes a lot of problems in older PS3 models, and leads to a lot of people giving up on their repairs thinking something is catastrophically wrong with their system.  Normally, replacing this chip and then doing a firmware update takes care of the problem.

Another area to check is the tracking worm gear motor.  If this is not bringing the laser to "home" position it could be causing your spindle motor to not spin.  

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29:00 AM »

OK Guys, here is the deal.....

I was expecting new laser from trusted supplier, but he reported back, no stock. So I ordered another one from ebay (I Know, but no choice) and I expect it to come.
Therefore I got yesterday another old YLOD PS3 and maybe has good laser. So, I will get it on the tricky PS3 and try again. The user told me it had working laser, just YLOD on him.
If this fail again, then I will get BD7956FS and install on the board.

P.S. I always use anti-static gloves when I work smile.gif

wildwild

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(MorboTron @ Mar 13 2011, 05:25 PM) *

Sounds to me like one of two things.
  1. Bad laser unit.
  2. Bad BD Rom Driver chip
A lot of times, if you change the laser in an older PS3, the BD Rom driver chip (The one that controls the worm gear and drive spindle motors, not the BGA chip that holds the encryption key.) can blow out.

The Number on the IC is BD7956FS

(IMG:http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t45/DarthMorbius1977/Muncie%20Game%20Armory/159003_F.jpg)

This causes a lot of problems in older PS3 models, and leads to a lot of people giving up on their repairs thinking something is catastrophically wrong with their system.  Normally, replacing this chip and then doing a firmware update takes care of the problem.

Another area to check is the tracking worm gear motor.  If this is not bringing the laser to "home" position it could be causing your spindle motor to not spin.

I had the same problem and I replaced the laser and this IC but it did not help.  The spindle motor would not spin up.  I ended up buying another BD board and transfer the IC with the key over. Not a very fun job but I managed to do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »

Ok. my proble, solved by installing whole new laser mechanish + lens. So the board is fine smile.gif

jiadongpeng

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »

Thank you for sharing the post.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »

you can't just add another controller board. The controller board contains a matching key with the mainboard. So, if you put another board, it will not match with your mainboard. First I would say that your laser is faulty, not the controller. Maybe you should claim a replacement for the faulty one, you bought.