xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 120gb Slim 8002f14e Error Code  (Read 418 times)

OCF

• Archived User
120gb Slim 8002f14e Error Code
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:05:00 AM »

Recently got a second hand PS3 slim, AFAIK it was working fine other than a BD wouldn't eject or accept discs. Finally got around to buying a controller and now this update loop problem.

Ive tried 3 seperate HD's, The original 120gb, 80gb and a 320gb all toshiba all fully working, one was even brand new out of the antistatic. Problem occurs with all three.

It gets to the final stage of installing the actual update post formating and gives error code at around 40%, then theres the 60 sec countdown and the PS3 restarts and attempts the install over again, failing at the same point.

Pulling the HD allows the update to continue past 40%, If I reinsert the HD after 40% it then freezes again at around 70%. If I pull the HD and leave it out, the update gets to 99% then freezes.

One question I have is, if the update gets to 99% with the HDD pulled, then it must be not needed to complete the actual update. But if I leave the HD in during the update, the activity light is quite busy throughout. What is being passed between the HD and console during this process?

Ive tried all the fixes. HD format, pulling the HD, alternative firmware files, removing the battery, recovery menu, reseating BD cable.

Nothing seems to work. I can get out of the update loop by formatting the HD, but then I'm back at step one with the PS3 requesting firmware update all over again.

I can access the recovery menu normally (2 beeps when holding power) but when its stuck in the update loop I cant access the recovery menu. I was hoping I could use one of the recovery menu options to fix the HD as the firmware/os is obviously being partially installed and then failing at some point.

One thing I am now suspecting is the Bluray drive itself. I tampered about with it trying to fix the eject problem that was before I got the controller. Not only does the drive not eject, but there is no sound from the drive at all when I hit eject, and the Blue led in the corner of the P/E board never even flickers.

I'm going to try pulling the blu ray drive and seeing how far the update gets for comparison

thanks any suggestions at all appreciated, Console was free and warranty is void

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »

continuity check with a multimeter on the Bluray data cable checks out ok and I also tried installing 3.55, still no luck.

Can anyone tell me whether I should be getting something from the drive even if its somehow not being recognized by the PS3, its definitely getting power e.g. does it normally make some noise upon bootup or when does the activity light usually come on.

thanks

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »

nice to get a reply smile.gif

Do you know of any way to determine whether its the laser or the control board?

seems like you have some experience with drive problems, when the laser is dead or faulty does the drive give any signs of life. I've had this drive apart and checked everything, it all seems good.

thanks

peanwean

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »

SUCCESS!!!!!

http://community.eu....F0/td-p/9465304

read through this and see if any of the fixes work for you. im not sure why mine finally took because ive tried all of these before except shorting the battery posts (which im not sure had any effect on mine). i left the battery out and through a series of pulling the hdd and letting it time out it finally went through an extremely fast update and acted like nothing was ever wrong.

this is nothing more than a jailbreak system for me so no more updates ever for this bad boy!  

next stop ebay for the ribbon cable so i can test out the disk drive.

good luck man!!

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »

wow congratz man, can you give me any details about how and when you pulled the hd.

the thread you linked to is a little confusing, I have read it before with no luck, but it seems to work for you so I'll try it again.

What exactly was the steps that worked for you?

edit-

Whenever I have pulled the HDD out I never get a countdown. Countdown only occurs at the magic percentages 40 and 70 and this only happens when the HDD is in.

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »

I get the countdown along with various error codes if I pull the HDD before 5% countdown occurs at around 20%

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »

I was finally able to get the PS3 slim booting normally.

I repeatedly pulled the HD at beginning of update. It then would fail at 9-11% and give a 60 second countdown.

99% of the time after the countdown runs out he PS3 just hangs untill you put the HD back in, it then restarts back to the update but only once the HD is put back in.

But 1% of the time the PS3 reboots after the countdown WITHOUT THE HD, this is the key. Once this happens when it restarts it says press the PS button to continue, and then says the PS3 HD needs to be formatted.

It then does a very fast update (takes 30 secs or less), after this is the license agreement screen. You have to select cancel here, not "I accept" or "I do not accept". After hitting cancel the PS3 loaded dashboard fine.

Now I'm back to square one after trying to update to 3.55 the update loop is back. Been trying for the past hour to get the above fix to work again. Gotta be patient the first time it took me about 15 tries to get it.

hope this can help out anyone else stuck in the update loop.

Question - would having a jailbreak key give me more control over his problem, e.g. can it force boot the PS3 past the update screen?

thanks

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »

have you made any progress with your bd drive? im facing almost the same situation right now. when i try to put a disk in the eject light just flashes with no sound or movement of any kind.

no luck yet, I'm pretty sure its my laser. By eject light do you mean blue led in corner of p/e control board. I don't get any Blu ray activity, no sound or LED activity.

At least you can rule out the BD control board being bad if you can still run demos.

I've given up for tonight, will try to recreate the fix tomorrow. PS3 still seems a dam mystery. I've had 3 differing error codes pop up at the exact same %.

If I pull the HD at -

0-1% I get 8002F165 at 9-11%
2-3% I get 8002F072/8002F042 at 9-11%
5%+  Update runs all the way to 99%

let me know if you get lucky with the drive

thanks

also if your feeling brave and you don't plan on jailbreaking try updating to 3.55 and see if the loops comes back.

pull the power cord and put it back in then the countdown will start

but that would cut power and the loop would start over when you powered up again?

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »

its a slim your talking about with the blue led next to the eject right?

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »

Decided to try my luck and contact Sony. The slim is still in warranty.

They've arranged a courier to come tomorrow for doorstep exchange.

They said they would swap for a refurbished 120gb system with 3 month warranty.

The customer support guy I spoke to said that the courier would simply check the serial # on my slim before he took it, to make sure I'm not pulling a fast one.

My worry is that I'm going to have shit of them for breaking the warranty, which I didn't tell them over the phone. It seems a bit far fetched to me but would they have any right to demand the refurb back if my slim isn't in warranty.

The dude on the phone didn't even ask if it had been opened, didn't even require a proof of purchase. Just a phone number and address.

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »

also called back and asked about my fat ps3 missing a BD. The guy first said that it would be £134 fora refurb then after talking to a supervisor said they wouldn't accept the console for any return without the BD.

Maybe sony are having problems getting controller boards married to systems tongue.gif lolll

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »

youre fat unit missing the bd drive is also missing the board?

Yeah I have a history of getting free consoles, found the fat PS3 cechg03 about 4 years ago, someone had thrown it out. Looked like a bad liquid spill, strangley the whole console was intact other than the BD drive and it booted fine after a good cleaning no YLOD yet, but I dont use it that often, I plan to put it in a custom case and run it as a media centre/server.

If I wait long enough the scene will get to grips with the BD to motherboard marriage system, hopefully wont be too long before I can stick a replacement drive in there and have it remarry to the board.

i would think and i dont know at all so dont hold me to it but, probably what they would do is try to charge you the flat rate for service work once they see the broken seal. last i heard that was $150 could be more now. you said the broken system was free to you so $150 for a refurb slim is still a good deal.

Sounds similar to something a friend said, he had a doorstep replacement for an ipod, he was told prior to receiving the courier pickup that if he didn't give the courier the defective unit, he would be charged the full price for a new one, Although they had his CC details beforehand.

I'm not too worried, they have my address and phone number, if they want to slap me with a £150 bill by post then go ahead lol, bailiff costs to reclaim the money would be more than the original sum. I don't think they would leave it to chance for a seal break, I was told the courier will match the serial number on the back, to ensure the correct console is returned, if anything he would do a warranty seal check then. Seems a bit far fetched to leave it to the UPS guy though tongue.gif

btw do you have any idea where the warranty seal/s are on the slim console originally?

thanks

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »

received the console today. I haven't been home yet, but its waiting for me biggrin.gif.

will post back when it successfully boots tongue.gif

Just need something to play now.

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »

Been running the console for a day now, All seems good. Downloaded a few demos.

God of war 3 is awesome smile.gif

Is it just me or does xbox live offer a lot more free downloadable content?

seems there's only a handful of demos available compared to hundreds I remember seeing on a friends xbox live

Sony are awesome though smile.gif

Just waiting for a stable CFW to be released for 3.55 now

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »

3.50 came preinstalled