xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Dreaded Blink Red 3-beep, Out Of The Blue  (Read 112 times)

Boobers

• Archived User
The Dreaded Blink Red 3-beep, Out Of The Blue
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »

Well, it seems I was a little premature in celebrating the fix of the PS3 that had the cracked cellophane problem.. sad.gif

I had pulled the BluRay drive out of this working unit to fix a customer's PS3.  He had left me his old drive so I figured I would play around with it to see if I could get working.  I had the PS3 on, but the BluRay drive was not connected.  

I had turned away for a minute to research something and suddenly I heard a Beep-Beep-Beep.  I turned in horror and saw that the PS3 was now just blinking the red LED.

So, my question is..  Did having the PS3 on w/o the BR Drive attached cause this??    Second, is there any new fixes out for the 3Beep Red LED Blinking (3BRLB???  biggrin.gif)  problem??  

I have completely disassembled the unit, cleaned the CPU and GPU and re-Thermalized them.  No luck...

Any hints or tips would be most appreciated.  

B

Boobers

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »

Hijack away..  The more input on this problem, the better.  biggrin.gif

OK, so the 3 Beeps Blinking Red LED is officially known as the YLOD..   Good to know..

I have some good luck with reflowing 360 MBs...  Hopefully my luck will hold.

Thanx

B

Boobers

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(TeKNyNe @ Jul 28 2009, 02:16 PM) View Post

It works wonderdfully without using the wireless connection, but as soon as I go to connect or configure the wireless, it instantly YLoD's, which is the 3 beeps and flashing red light as you described. Any ideas as to what would cause this?

As to this, that does sound really weird...  I have never come across anything like that.  Is a wired connection and option for you??

B

Boobers

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(TeKNyNe @ Jul 29 2009, 12:22 PM) View Post

I've heard the oven trick works, but I would take caution to that method since there are a lot of tiny plastic ribbon connectors everywhere. I use an embossing gun (or heat gun), and basically followed this guide: http://forums.maxcon...ad.php?t=137655

As for the wired thing, I'm actually trying that option right now. If I figure anything out, I'll let the community know biggrin.gif

Thanx for the info on that PDF..  I'll check it out tomorrow and report back.

Good luck with yours..

B

Boobers

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »

TekNyne, yer my new hero!!  biggrin.gif  You and Sydmour!!  biggrin.gif

That PDF did the trick for me!  My PS3 booted up just fine...  Hopefully, it's a permenant fix..  

But at least now I don't have to worry about the YLOD problem anymore.  biggrin.gif

Thanx again...

Now, if I can only figure out how to hit the PS button without a controller..  biggrin.gif  Then all would be good and right with the world...

B

Boobers

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(TeKNyNe @ Jul 30 2009, 01:16 PM) View Post

Hey man, no problem. I like to point people in the right direction if I can smile.gif

After another reflow, I was able to connect, and was playing CoD for abour 5 minutes before it finally did it again. Then again, the guy that had brought this PS3 in to me didn't take care of it at all. It was completely caked in dust.

Anyway, I hope your fix works alright for you! I've heard some last a few days, while some still haven't failed after reflowing. Glad I could help though!

I have heard that there are problems with PS3s that can't connect to the NET.  Error Codes 8002101 or some such like that.  Another symptom of this problem is the wireless controllers won't connect except by the hardwire USB charger cable.

I have two PS3s that are exhibiting this problem.  I know my NET connection is valid because I have a 3rd PS3 that connects fine...

One unrelated question.

Can you replace a KES-400A Single Laser unit with a KES-410A Dual Laser unit??  The ribbon connection looks the same, but I am not sure about the mechanics...

Thanx

B

Boobers

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »

That's a bummer.

Thanx..

B

Boobers

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

Hay TekNyne

Not saying that you could be as stoopid as I was.....

http://forums.xbox-s...=0#entry4515539

But check the cellophane connector that goes from the wireless daughterboard to the motherboard.  Take off the daughterboard and especially check the motherboard side of the connection.

I had two PS3s that had the NET/Controller connection problem and it turned out that both were caused by bad cellophane connections.  One was a break in the cellophane connection tab and the other had flat out come unconnected from the motherboard.

Just FYI.. Hope it helps you.

B