xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is This A Laser Problem?  (Read 166 times)

Chancer

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »

Doesn't sound like a disc read issue initially. To narrow it down, does it freeze when simply using the XMB or playing a demo off the HDD

Chancer

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »

If the freezing is limited to playing optical discs then it could be the drive but the machine obviously has an easier time browsing the XMB etc than playing HD games or movies. I would download any game demo and play it for a while. Also lower the output resolution settings on your BR playback to 720P and try the disc. If it doesn't freeze then the laser is unlikely.
If the game plays back from the HDD and the BR playback still freezes then you have more or less narrowed it to the laser.
I know it's painful but best to be certain.

xboxlinux

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

sad.gif  I got similar problem again .. actually worse on the same PS3.  Now my unit does not play any disc at all: blue ray(Movie & game), DVD, and CD music. Everytime I load a disc I only see a disc reading icon on top right of the screen, I can manipulate and go to various settings on XMB. I factory reset my systems, upgrade firmware, clean laser head, as well as reformat the hard drive, still the same. I've only use the new laser for about 10~15 hours total of watching movies and a couple games. My problem started watching brand new IRON MAN blue ray disc, towards the end of the movie it froze, but I can still control the PS3 using the controller. restart the machine and finished the movie. The next day my son wants to watch Ratatouille, it froze towards the beginning of the movie this time, restart again and again till it stop reading any disc. can anyone help me on this one? Could it be another faulty laser unit?  Any input base on the above analysis would be great guys!

saber9golf

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »

I am diving into PS3 repairs moving on from 360 repairs momentarily.
I wanted to ask you if you were able to fix this?

When you installed the new laser, did you make any adjustments/alignments to the laser after installing to the assembly? I have read many of forums gathering information. It seems that you would have to align the laser if you do not purchase it on a new deck. It may seem more ex$pensive, but a lot easier in the end. I have seen lasers for around the same price on eBay that you can get a new desk w/ laser on this website :

http://store.richsps...om/pl3paac.html

You will need to identify which deck/laser assembly is in your PS3 before deciding which one to buy. I believe the KEM-400AAA / KES-400A is compatible with all PS3s, and the Playstation 3 KEM410ACA laser [w/two lenses] are only compatible with SOME consoles. (SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ON THAT PART)

Let me know what you find out and if you have fixed it again.

If you would rather email me, do it on [email protected]

xboxlinux

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

OK, after battling with returned laser and damage shipping problems, I still have the same problem. I still see that activity icon on the top right hand of the screen and it doesn't go away after putting a blu ray movie or games. So far this is what happen and what I did.

1. Bought a PS3 from a friend with reading problem, it reads then freezing problem.
2. replaced the laser and got it working for just over a month.
3. screen starts flickering and freezing, then it stop reading. all i see is the activity icon on top right hand side.
4. Replace the laser again, again(damge from shipping), and again. Still the same, activity icon after inserting a disc.

I'm not sure if my laser is bad or not anymore, but the looks of it and the way it was packed, it sure looks like new. I removed the laser cover and turn the system on, the gear motor move the laser towards the from and the laser head moved up and down quickly, that's it. Insert a game...activity icon shows. PLEASE HELP!!!

xboxlinux

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:09:00 AM »

OK, after battling with returned laser and damage shipping problems, I still have the same problem. I still see that activity icon on the top right hand of the screen and it doesn't go away after putting a blu ray movie or games. So far this is what happen and what I did.

1. Bought a PS3 from a friend with reading problem, it reads then freezing problem.
3. screen starts flickering and freezing, then it stop reading. all i see is the activity icon on top right hand side.
4. Replace the laser again, again(damge from shipping), and again. Still the same, activity icon after inserting a disc.

I'm not sure if my laser is bad or not anymore, but the looks of it and the way it was packed, it sure looks like new. I removed the laser cover and turn the system on, the gear motor move the laser towards the from and the laser head moved up and down quickly, that's it. Insert a game...activity icon shows. I also remove the metal casing and watched the activity inside the drive. After inserting an audio or bluray movie, I see a RED lightshine for 1~2 second and the disc does not turn at all. PLEASE HELP!!!

dcaway

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »

i had a similar issue. i thought my laser was toast. but i simply "bent" my spindle motor back (bringing the disk closer to the laser) and the drive functions perfectly now. the reason i decided to play around with the spindle was because i put a small straight edge across the spindle and noticed that the disk would drag on the "tray" area. maybe you could try a straight edge on your spindle motor and see if you have the same issue.

xboxlinux

• Archived User
Is This A Laser Problem?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxlinux @ Nov 21 2008, 09:45 AM) View Post

4. Replace the laser again, again(damage from shipping), and again. Still the same, activity icon after inserting a disc.

I'm not sure if my laser is bad or not anymore, but the looks of it and the way it was packed, it sure looks like new. I removed the laser cover and turn the system on, the gear motor move the laser towards the from and the laser head moved up and down quickly, that's it. Insert a game...activity icon shows. I also remove the metal casing and watched the activity inside the drive. After inserting an audio or bluray movie, I see a RED lightshine for 1~2 second and the disc does not turn at all. PLEASE HELP!!!

FIXED!!! I bought a new complete laser assembly KEM-400AAA(KES-400AAA on the box) at eBay. See above troubles and scenarios I've experienced that one of you guys might have. I tried "dcaway" idea of bending something that would put the DISC closer to the laser, but that didn't work for me. Just buy the complete laser unit, it cost just as much as the actual laser itself. biggrin.gif