xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Does the PS3 have a higher tolerance for scratched discs?  (Read 166 times)

flbeserk

• Archived User
Does the PS3 have a higher tolerance for scratched discs?
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »

i guess the laser's pretty good?  but then again i do remember even the xbox gave issues at times but no console is without it's fault.  just the xbox and my 360 did it at the oddest times, popped in a brand new game.  tells me disc is dirty remove it and clean it etc etc lol good times good times

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:12:00 AM »

Reason would have it that the lens in the PS3 is much much better then that of a typical DVD unit simply because it's designed to be more precise.

Similarly I would suspect most DVD players have an easier time reading CDs then devices that are CD only.

xboxSlayer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »

It would be interesting to know what brand DVD drive he had in his 360. Well good news for the PS3 anyway. I can't stand it when my kids DVDs won't play because of a few small scratches. They have a cheap DVD player in there room. On another note, I don't want to play DVD's in my 360 because I don't want to wear out the lazer. I've heard too many stories about xbox's and PS2's wearing out from playing DVD's.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

hmmm thats good to know. The ps3 doesn't seem to be the best gaming by any stretch but its definitely the best media machine smile.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

well, the best video game console/media machine

I'd still take a nice MythTV box or HTPC over any of them.

theTick197

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »

well that does make sense that the 360 dvd drive isnt quite as good, I remember the original xbox's dvd drive was pretty shabby.

Dirvance

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »

Both the xbox and ps2's dvd drives were sub-par imo. Both skipped on dvds halfway through the movie. I  just think the X360 dvd drive is super sensitive thats all. My friend has one and his freezes on games even if there is the slightest of scratches or dust on the disc or disc tray. PS3 having a high tolerance for scratched discs? Didn't have a problem on ps2 so i can't say (always kept my games in their cases period). If so thats good : )

rooter75

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »

Yeah and I bet most of the Blueray players will read dvd better than current dvd players that is a no brainer. It is not apples to apples to compare a dvd to blueray player.