xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Possible PS3 Flashing Red Light Fix  (Read 206 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Possible PS3 Flashing Red Light Fix
« on: December 10, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 10-12-2006 23:28 EST

From ps3.qj.net:

Yesterday I woke up to bad news, I turned on my PS3 by the switch in the back and about 2 seconds later it beeped three times and the red light started flashing. After trying to turn it on for about 1/2 an hour I realized that it wasn't going to turn on...

I did some searching on the web and found nothing but 360 had the same problem. Here's the interesting thing I found a 'fix', all I did was take out the hard disk, and turn it on to get my game out. Then I put the HD back in and turned it on. It worked. I booted up a game and the same damn red flashing light came back on.

I repeated the steps and checked to see if the game would work now, and it did! I'm currently using my PS3 to write this. I wanted to let you guys over at QJ.net because I couldn't find a fix anywhere and maybe if you post this I'll end up helping someone else.

Read More: ps3.qj.net

flbeserk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 04:30:00 AM »

that's pretty interesting

nezff

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:09:00 AM »

I read somewhere about this problem, Sony stated it was a power failure issue, and to send it back.

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

Bah! Who need to troubleshoot when you can just hit the damn thing!

Lol my fav saying: "If it dont work, hit it" although, that doesnt tend to fix things very often....

Dirvance

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Dec 12 2006, 09:48 PM) *

Bah! Who need to troubleshoot when you can just hit the damn thing!

Lol my fav saying: "If it dont work, hit it" although, that doesnt tend to fix things very often....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Works for my xbox! Stupid dvd tray gets stuck now sometimes so i hit it and out it comes....doesn't fix the problem though as you stated....

Methadon

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Dirvance @ Dec 13 2006, 03:20 PM) View Post

biggrin.gif Works for my xbox! Stupid dvd tray gets stuck now sometimes so i hit it and out it comes....doesn't fix the problem though as you stated....

Frylock: Shake, would you stop hitting the TV!?! You're gonna break that thing!
Master Shake: I'm teaching this thing a lesson! If it doesn't want to get hit anymore, it'll start working.

MattZani

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »

the red lights flashing means its overheating, leave it for a couple hours, then try again!

Matt

lastsavepoint

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

you can pm me or email me @ [email protected] for a permanent fix to this problem and others.

we fix all issues:

flashing lights > won't power on > won't read games/disc won't spin > and all others

lastsavepoint
your first and last resort for all game fixes

PS3Rep

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »

If you are getting the PS3 red lights problem then this is why it happens:

The GPU and the CPU which are the 2 main chips are overheating internally and you will need to stop the heat build up in order to play your games again.

You CAN leave it alone for a while and see if that improves but normally you will need to get it fixed.

You can do this by either sending it in and they will repair it for you this will take about 4 weeks and cost $150 or you can fix it yourself using a good PS3 Red Lights guide.

Hope this helps.

yangchao

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »

the red lights flashing means its overheating, leave it for a couple hours, then try again!

nintendo ds r4
ps3 dualshock 3 controllers
wireless dualshock 3 controller

Roscigno

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Dirvance @ Dec 13 2006, 03:13 PM) View Post

biggrin.gif Works for my xbox! Stupid dvd tray gets stuck now sometimes so i hit it and out it comes....doesn't fix the problem though as you stated....
buy dstt card dualshock 3 ps3 controller m3

I read somewhere about this problem, Sony stated it was a power failure issue, and to send it back.

herman69

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »

It's a overheating issue, one machine I reballed yesterday did this after the reball brought it back from YLoD. Replacing the thermal compound under both the CPU & GPU IHS and on the heatsink with AS5 cured it.

Before it would hardly stay on for 30 seconds, where as it's been on for 6 hours today to test it and still going strong.