xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Real PS3 Power Usage Figures  (Read 197 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Real PS3 Power Usage Figures
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 30-11-2006 15:16 EST

From digitaldisplacement.com:

The PS3, impressively, uses barely anything when off; the Watt display on the Kill-A-Watt metering device showing between 0 and 1 watts.

When sitting idle at the crossbar navigation system, the equivalent to the Xbox 360 dashboard or the Wii's home menu, the PS3 used anywhere from 185 to 205 watts. When doing similar work the Xbox 360 uses 145 watts and the Wii just 15-20.

Now, for the gaming. We tested with three games and found consumption to be lowest when playing Tiger Woods 07, registering at 185-190 watts, and highest when playing Formula One Championship Edition, which demanded a rather more disconcerting 217 watts on average. By comparison the Xbox 360 comes in at 165 watts during gameplay with the Wii using only around 120. Finally, during Blu-ray playback the PS3 continued to draw a surprising 205 watts, just to spew the rather craptacular Ricky Bobby to my HDTV.

Read More: digitaldisplacement.com

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

I have a friend that keeps complaining that his 360 dims the lights in his house when he turns it on (lol). I guess I can tell him to hold off on his ps3 purchase until a 65nm cell is out. laugh.gif

theBloodShed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

Glad to see the actual numbers.  I read months ago that the PS3 uses "twice" the power of the Xbox 360 (which also consumes a lot of power relative to other consoles).  Seems that it's not quite true, but definitely rediculous for a console.

The Blu-ray playback was particularly disappointing.  WTF does it use so much power for that?  I wonder if it's just as bad when playing a DVD.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »

A there's the 120w Wii number I blurped in another thread.

Hddvd and blueray is one of the most taxing things you can run on a computer, remember you need something like a fx60 or a e6600 to run it on your regular computer without hickups.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Dec 1 2006, 06:51 AM) View Post

A there's the 120w Wii number I blurped in another thread.

Hddvd and blueray is one of the most taxing things you can run on a computer, remember you need something like a fx60 or a e6600 to run it on your regular computer without hickups.

really? blink.gif

thats good to know.....guess I gotta through out the old pentium d soon then or is that enough?

Bizquick

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »

I hate to be dumb. but have not bought my Ps3 yet mostly cause I'm too lasy to stand in line or camp out in front of a store. But is the power supply built In like the old PS2's? or is it just like the X360 a big brick or a external DC convertor.  In either case this is the First Gen on PS3's and Sony will make many version changes over time. so I wouldnt be supprised to see these number change in the next few months after production steps up and the change somthing. I mean look at how many PS2 version there are I think the number is 12. I know this is bad to say but this being a sony product. Sony could shit in a box and sell it just cause of the name on the box. they might not get many repeat customers but think the profit would deffently be there. So this power issue ist probly not too big of a deal to sony. But its good to know for us in North America cause this is the only country that MS might have a chance to be on top with this gen console.

anonim1979

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

Wii uses 20W not 120W - it's a typo 1 and 2 typed together...
Please fix it on main page.

http://www.kotaku.co...-360-216051.php

Wii:

- In Standby Mode: 10w
- Idle @ Wii menu: 17w
- Running a Wii Game (Test with Zelda / Trauma Center) in 480i: 17w

XBox 360:
- In Standby Mode: 2w
- Idle @ Dashboard: ~140w
- Running a Game: ~160w
- Playing a DVD: ~110w

GiveItUp4VOS

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »

"just to spew the rather craptacular Ricky Bobby to my HDTV."

You watch your tongue boy, that movie was awesome!

theBloodShed

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 06:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bizquick @ Dec 1 2006, 04:21 PM) View Post

But is the power supply built In like the old PS2's? or is it just like the X360 a big brick or a external DC convertor.  In either case this is the First Gen on PS3's and Sony will make many version changes over time. so I wouldnt be supprised to see these number change in the next few months after production steps up and the change somthing. I mean look at how many PS2 version there are I think the number is 12.

The power supply is built-in with the PS3.  Personally, I think all of the "size comparisons" between 360 and PS3 should also include that massive 360 power brick.  Either way, that freaking PS3 is huge and heavy.

Anyway, the specs on the power consumption won't change unless they make changes to the architecture or design so that the processor needs less power.  I wouldn't expect to see that anytime soon.