xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?  (Read 391 times)

Tito2k6

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« on: November 28, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

Okay, so it's not totally dead, more like on life support.  The laser seems to be inconsistant at best.  Most games load.  Some lock up from time to time.  Madden loads once out of every 10 tries (tried three different discs).  Now Superman Returns locks up every 10 to 15 minutes (even did some weird shit once where it looked all shaky and blurry).  I just put Superman back in and it has been playing for an hour with no problem.....whatever!?!?!  I called Sony and they are sending me a coffin (man this sucks.  First my 360 and now this).  At least I didn't wait in line for 40hrs (scored one last week by just walking into electronics at Wal-Mart).  Thank god I've got my 360 and there isn't anything to play on the PS3 right now (execpt Blu-ray)!

You do have to give Sony credit.  They are sending me an overnight box and they said that they would send out a BRAND NEW system on the same day they recieved mine.  It should be 2-3days after they get mine.  Pretty good turn around.  At least until it comes mine plays a little.  When my 360 died, it took its ball and went home tongue.gif

bigjimmy

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »

Bummer! Sorry to hear about that. Oh well, at least you didnt wait out in the rain for days or anything just to get a PS3.

Well, im surprised there havent been a lot more PS3s like this with a rooted laser. I was thinking since sony rushed the BD lasers into production, that there would be a lot more laser failures. And I suppose since sony hasnt had any massive PS3 hardware failures, sony would be too busy with shipping out new PS3s all the time.

Lets hope your 2d PS3 doesnt decide to die  biggrin.gif

Tito2k6

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Nov 29 2006, 01:47 AM) View Post

Lets hope your 2d PS3 doesnt decide to die  biggrin.gif

Don't say that!!!

UPDATE:  I received the cardboard casket this morning.  Man, talk about a fast turnaround.  I called Sony yesterday afternoon and I got it today shipped Next Day Air from Texas.  Sure enough, the return label is Next Day Air also.  Unlike MS, they don't screw around.  BTW, that shipping had to be expensive.  Considering they are already losing the arses on each system, they are taking a big hit on dead units.

All in all, I'm pretty disapointed in this 'new generation'.  First the 360 died and now the PS3.  Not a good start. unsure.gif

Tito2k6

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »

My PS3 was poo.  It's hard to believe that I was the only one (who reads this forum).  Maybe Sony really is that much better at hardware.  As much bad press as they've gotten, I've had a kick ass DD/DTS receiver from them that has lasted 7yrs.   uhh.gif

theBloodShed

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tito2k6 @ Dec 1 2006, 01:48 AM) View Post

My PS3 was poo.  It's hard to believe that I was the only one (who reads this forum).  Maybe Sony really is that much better at hardware.  As much bad press as they've gotten, I've had a kick ass DD/DTS receiver from them that has lasted 7yrs.   uhh.gif

Well, seriously... Microsoft is historically a software company...  Sony is more of a hardware company.  But they've also been known to have a history of problems with first generation units.  The original Playstation had disc drive problems; some people had to flip the unit upside down to play.  The PS2 also had problems.  It seems like they usually have a rough start.

All I can say is that I haven't had any problems with my PS3 yet.  My 360 on the other hand locks up, gives me that damn "your disc is dirty" error with a brand new game (killing my game progress), or just plain won't read or won't properly recognize a disc.  It is pretty ironic to see the 360 recognize a game as a DVD and plays that video "Please insert this disc into an Xbox 360".  Plus that damn fan is loud as hell.  Other than that, I've been enjoying it.  I'm just waiting on the new 360 units next year that hopefully fix these problems.

Tito2k6

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »

All I can say is WOW!  What amazing customer service.  To recap:  My PS3 went out on Tuesday.  I called Sony on Tuesday late afternoon.  Wed. morning a box arrived sent UPS Next Day Air from Texas (I live in Illinois).  I placed my PS3 in the box and took it to the UPS store on Wed. afternoon.  The PS3 arrived in Texas on Thursday afternoon.  I received a brand new PS3 in a brand new box on Friday morning.  ohmy.gif

There was even an ice storm on Thursday night into Friday.  The UPS plane must have landed right before they closed the airport.  The irony of all of this is that the ice storm took out my power.  I still can't play it 3 days later (I'm at work).

Tito2k6

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(ocdesi @ Dec 5 2006, 12:27 AM) View Post

My PS3 was dead straight out of the box. The first time I started it up I got an error saying the hard disk's database is corrupted and needs to be restored. Hit X to restore, which I do. A screen comes up saying: Restoring... Please wait. After 3 hours of waiting I figured something very wrong and called Sony customer service. I'm getting a coffin as well and I'm hoping, after reading your ordeal, the turnaround is just as fast. But she did tell me it would take 3-5 business days each way. Hopefully she was just reading some sheet of paper and that's not true.

That's what they said to me.  I think they are just giving themseves a buffer.  That way, when it comes Next Day Air you'll be like "holy crap they are awsome!"  I think they are just trying to stand apart from MS and prove that they are a hardware compay and they woun't repeat the X360 hardware debacle.

grim_d

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(ocdesi @ Dec 5 2006, 06:27 AM) View Post

My PS3 was dead straight out of the box. The first time I started it up I got an error saying the hard disk's database is corrupted and needs to be restored. Hit X to restore, which I do. A screen comes up saying: Restoring... Please wait. After 3 hours of waiting I figured something very wrong and called Sony customer service. I'm getting a coffin as well and I'm hoping, after reading your ordeal, the turnaround is just as fast. But she did tell me it would take 3-5 business days each way. Hopefully she was just reading some sheet of paper and that's not true.

not that whats happened to you is funny, but if it told me to hit x, i would have whacked the square button laugh.gif

Tito2k6

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

Now, while I'm a hard core XBox guy (and I have hated MS since its inception and I learned to hate Sony after their MS like arrogance), Sony has really gone out of its way to prove it IS IS THE OLD COMPANY THAT STOOD BEHIND BETAMAX.  NOW, don't look apon that as a fault, this isn't minidisc or UMD, this is the company's real bead and butter.  I'm starting to think that they may have are started to wake up....stared to smell the smelling salts.  I hope so, as much as I love what MS has done (even though I believe MS is run by the devil).  I still have a special place in my heart for Sony.  They are like a poor little company that made a deal with the devil  rolleyes.gif

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »

Sony can rot in hell. lol  Seriously, there arrogance bugs the hell out of me.

davbere

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:13:00 AM »

Hell yea !
Its good to see Sony addressing problems so professionally. I truly hope that their harware faults stay at a minimal. If their ps3 is known for being solid it will help them survive in this competitive era.

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »

ps3 is coming soon to be repair !!
not yet but soon !!

gainpresence

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(tito2000 @ Dec 5 2006, 09:05 PM) View Post

Wow! I shouldn't drink when I post.  I'm sure you all got the jist of it, but it was a little hard to follow.  Friends shouldn't let friends drink and post!  blink.gif   Anyway, I just got my power turned back on(after 5 days), so celebrating was in order.

So... do you get a new account every year?

Tito2k6

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(gainpresence @ Dec 6 2006, 07:40 PM) View Post

So... do you get a new account every year?

No. That was an old one.  I created it a long time ago when I was modding my Xbox.  By the time the 360 was getting ready to come out I had forgot my password.  In my drunkeness last night I figured it out.  If you have the power to merge the two accounts, please do so.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Dead Ps3! Anyone Else?
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 02:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Dec 6 2006, 09:10 PM) View Post

Not to get OT, but MS......come on.

OK. huh.gif
Pages: [1] 2