xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Possible? Head Mounting A Move Controller  (Read 263 times)

JerginsSoft

• Archived User
Possible? Head Mounting A Move Controller
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »

Basically, as the title suggests, would it be possible to transfer button presses to a second dongle-like hand unit, and mount the led orb to a head harness?

Would it look goofy? Absolutely...

Would it be awesome, and possibly more intuitive? Absolutely!

I've never modded any kind of controller before in my life, and I gave away my ps3, but this may be something intriguing enough to reinvest in one.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation...Teardown/3594/1

Here is an in-depth teardown of the controller itself.

And yes, if you try to do it, I want credit for the idea, at least! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hey, I'll even design the harness for the head, if something new needs to be thought of!

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »

For playing any games that aren't setup for that, like the controller being used as a weapon, it wouldn't work at all. Imagine trying to use a sword that's been fixed to your head, not very kool.

You would have to mount more than the Orb to the headset as well, since the thing has other components on the board so it knows what position it's in. So basically you'd need to have the whole controller on the top of your head, with wires run from it to whatever secondary controller you wanted for button presses. Then you run into the problem of games being able to keep accurate track of it, being it's a couple feet higher than normal, so it's not going to work or you'll be playing on your knees a lot as well as jumping up.

More Cons than Pros for going about it that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony didn't make a few games setup for it like that, and then naturally a $50 hat to hold the thing.

JerginsSoft

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(RDC @ Sep 5 2011, 09:03 PM) View Post

For playing any games that aren't setup for that, like the controller being used as a weapon, it wouldn't work at all. Imagine trying to use a sword that's been fixed to your head, not very kool.

You would have to mount more than the Orb to the headset as well, since the thing has other components on the board so it knows what position it's in. So basically you'd need to have the whole controller on the top of your head, with wires run from it to whatever secondary controller you wanted for button presses. Then you run into the problem of games being able to keep accurate track of it, being it's a couple feet higher than normal, so it's not going to work or you'll be playing on your knees a lot as well as jumping up.

More Cons than Pros for going about it that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony didn't make a few games setup for it like that, and then naturally a $50 hat to hold the thing.

I was thinking primarily of games like mag and socom, where the remote is more of a view tracker, rather than any kind of action-oriented games, that require swinging.

I'm not too familiar with either game, but most of the time, even with the gun peripheral, aren't you in a more fixed position and using the remote as more of a pointer?

I realize how unwieldy it would be too, but I've looked like an idiot playing games before, I'm not afraid to do it again! biggrin.gif