xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Case Mod Help  (Read 366 times)

pepito01226

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »

Why is everyone working on a ps3 controller mod?

is there anyone on this forum who is currently working on a case mod?

I am about to mod my ps3 and would like some schematic 101 on the ps3 consule.

All links to any skemetic for the ps3 consule have no more working image to backup what taps on the PCB board

If anyone has any images of good quality on the ps3 schematic or links with working image please post them on this thread.

This post has been edited by pepito01226: May 18 2011, 05:36 AM

pepito01226

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

Okie so i dont know where to tap but alot of people are saying either one of this connection

I dont have a multimeter so can anyone tell me which is the 12v connection, 5v connection and ground?
(IMG:http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2650/1006171y.jpg)

Left is powersupply connection to mobo, right is blueray/discdrive connection to mobo
(IMG:http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/954/1006155q.jpg)

pepito01226

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

Okie, so to much work, i figured out something... where it seems like no one else has  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1214/1006171fanconnection.jpg)

Red - 12v

Black - ground

Gray - PWM which flux from 0v to 3v~ 12v highspeed

This post has been edited by pepito01226: May 22 2011, 07:07 PM

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

How are able to figure out something while nobody else has? You don't even own a multimeter. If you're just guessing....well then....aha electronics is a funny thing. You don't usually get second chances when guessing. lol. Smell burning and it's too late. It's instantaneous.

pepito01226

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(deilzfcjk @ May 22 2011, 06:01 PM) *

How are able to figure out something while nobody else has? You don't even own a multimeter. If you're just guessing....well then....aha electronics is a funny thing. You don't usually get second chances when guessing. lol. Smell burning and it's too late. It's instantaneous.

Haha cause someone lend me there multimeter for a one time use. HAHA, and i found a spike reading on the PWM when i turned on the ps3. Its like the same readout when you turn on an xbox360 and the tailwhisper fan kicks on. it spikes to 12 then back to 3.24volt then as the temp rises it spikes to 12v.

the end peice isnt small enough to fit on the pins for the boardpower and the blueray power. I dont know if i can reuse the multimeter again from the guy but i will be able to soon

If i cant i need to reduce the main 12volt down to 3 or 5volt. How am i able to do so? I am working on a project.
Someone said use a diode?

RDC

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »

The 360 fans aren't PWM controlled, and it's been known for awhile now how the PS3 fan works.

http://stefde69.blog...n-your-ps3.html

The Duty Cycle on the PWM line changes to change the fan speed, something that can't be seen with a DMM unless it's a ScopeMeter, and 100% on the PWM line is 3.3v, not 12v.

If you want a to knock the 12v down use a Regulator, though you could have just used the DMM to look for alternate sources instead. If all you're wiring up are LEDs then 12v is fine, just use the proper value Resistor on them. Just don't pull too much current from that 12v source as the fan is already pulling around 2A from it, so pulling another 2A from it is not recommended unless you have access to the PS3 schematic and/or know what the source is capable of delivering power wise. If you're needing to power something that doesn't pull much current (say ~300mA or less) but needs to run at 5v or whatever then a Regulator would be fine.

pepito01226

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(RDC @ May 22 2011, 11:08 PM) *

The 360 fans aren't PWM controlled, and it's been known for awhile now how the PS3 fan works.

http://stefde69.blogspot.com/2010/10/solvi...n-your-ps3.html

The Duty Cycle on the PWM line changes to change the fan speed, something that can't be seen with a DMM unless it's a ScopeMeter, and 100% on the PWM line is 3.3v, not 12v.
If you want a to knock the 12v down use a Regulator, though you could have just used the DMM to look for alternate sources instead. If all you're wiring up are LEDs then 12v is fine, just use the proper value Resistor on them. Just don't pull too much current from that 12v source as the fan is already pulling around 2A from it, so pulling another 2A from it is not recommended unless you have access to the PS3 schematic and/or know what the source is capable of delivering power wise. If you're needing to power something that doesn't pull much current (say ~300mA or less) but needs to run at 5v or whatever then a Regulator would be fine.

Yeh the max i may use is only 5v that is needed, and I wanted to tap somewhere else for lights.
and i was pressed for time haha so i wasnt able to use the DMM for anything but to check the back point. His end piece isnt made to tap into small electronics. I think he was using it for construction.

You mean a voltage Regulator?

The guy said he had  fine pointed end anode and cathode for the DMM, his ganna let me use it till the end of the week. Its funny cause No one seems have any point on the consule for good taps to make things easier for modders. Im hoping i can post some picture to help out. All over the net, i havent seen no one person work on a consule mod.. its kind of sad, look at the ps3 its so beautiful, the lines, curves the architect. Ive only seen paint mods and one cool badass alien mod :/ is the ps3 that boring of a design no one wants to even consider modifing it?

controller mod was cool... but after a while.... theres really nothing left to do but buy another controller and mod the hell out of it.

RDC

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »

Try doing some of the PS3 controllers I've done and tell me it wasn't challenging.

Yes a Voltage Regulator, a Diving Regulator isn't going to do you much  good, unless you plan to mod it to play games under water. wink.gif

People have done PS3 mods, they just aren't as popular and it depends on  what the person wants from it as to how far they go with it and then if  they feel like posting it all over the net or not. I do agree there is  little info in the realm of what voltage spots are where, but you can  mostly blame Sony for that as they make revision changes one after  another and nothing stays exactly the same really. The Phat and Slim  aren't the same, so there's already 2 different setups to deal with, so  it can be a real pain to keep up with that mess.

If you're already that impressive with the PS3 one would wonder why you'd  want to do anything to it, but if you're going to then you should get yourself a  DMM of your own to check for some things like this, not all info posted  on the net is what one would want to take for granted, plus it's a handy tool to have around for more than just looking for PS3 voltage spots.

pepito01226

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(RDC @ May 23 2011, 12:44 PM) *

Try doing some of the PS3 controllers I've done and tell me it wasn't challenging.

Yes a Voltage Regulator, a Diving Regulator isn't going to do you much  good, unless you plan to mod it to play games under water. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

People have done PS3 mods, they just aren't as popular and it depends on  what the person wants from it as to how far they go with it and then if  they feel like posting it all over the net or not. I do agree there is  little info in the realm of what voltage spots are where, but you can  mostly blame Sony for that as they make revision changes one after  another and nothing stays exactly the same really. The Phat and Slim  aren't the same, so there's already 2 different setups to deal with, so  it can be a real pain to keep up with that mess.

If you're already that impressive with the PS3 one would wonder why you'd  want to do anything to it, but if you're going to then you should get yourself a  DMM of your own to check for some things like this, not all info posted  on the net is what one would want to take for granted, plus it's a handy tool to have around for more than just looking for PS3 voltage spots.

lol, i will do a forum search for your mods, all i see is basic led mods :/ after a whole while you start to get bored with it lol.

and LMAO haha i got that XD

Yeh your right and yes ive seen quiet a few revision. Like that of ipod gens lol. Ive over heard they are planing to release a hack prof ps3 fat and slim.. 2011 version :/ really they are downcracking, But they always done this, look at the psp from 1000, 2000, 3000 and on the go they deside to drop the UMD and double more security encryption... And yet there still alot of people modding and hax'in the hell out of it. Its sad to see that sony is no longer supporting the psp go anymore. 16gb internal and 16gb external support, what a shame.

I am impressed on how more reliable the ps3 is compared to the xbox360, But the shell is so plain. Ive seen some chrome 3rd party replacement top for the fat and complete chrome shell for the slim, its as about all 3rd party swap out i could find. I see soooo much more cool mods for the xbox360. I can understand though, its beautiful, but i want to add more to it haha. Its like a bug modifing doesnt always has to be about improving what is already awesome, I do it for looks in this case.

and yeh i dont have enough for a good DMM right now, Im doing this and that while i go to school so i can earn for a really reliable and quality built DMM. My father said to build my own MM anolog to learn from the experiance, He used to build his own in thick leather casing but wasnt quiet useful for what i need right now. Im still conside a "freshman" to electronics 101

RDC

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »

A DMM doesn't have to be expensive, or brand spanking new, and for testing voltages any of them will get that job done. In fact, the more it costs the more stuff it'll have on it and unless you're going to use everything that's on it, which isn't likely, then you're just paying for something that you'll never use. Don't let an Analog meter fool you either, I still break out my Simpson 260 from time to time for some things, and the building of it will be what's of more use to you in the long run, even if you never use it on anything.

LeHaM

• Archived User
Ps3 Case Mod Help
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:12:00 AM »

Hi, so what exactly are you wanting to do? Fan mod??