xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: PS360 Controller  (Read 2151 times)

All-Against-All

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »

Simply Brilliant, the PS3 controller is just horrid compared to the 360s... I just might have to do this myself.

Dielman

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

Would love to see an in-depth step by step how-to for this, I've always preferred the 360 controller and the PS3 controller feels really awkward to use. Any chance of this happening?

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 03:39:00 AM »

Thanks for all the replies and interest everyone.

I honestly have no plans to make a tutorial at present because of the fact there are 2 versions of DualShock 3 controller right now and 3 versions of 360 board that could be used to make the controller the way I do. So to be fair and give someone a chance to even half pull it off following a tutorial I'd have to have all of those versions of board and make 6 different tutorials for starters and then 2 to 3 new ones for any new version board that came out. So it would be an almost never ending thing and at the rate Sony is going with their controller revisions all I'd be doing is making tutorials or if I made only 1 you'd have to make sure ya had those exact components and that just makes it worse.

Also now that I've stuffed a PS3 D-pad into a 360 shell look for that to turn up on this thing sooner or later as well. wink.gif

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=655017

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »

Amazing what a little paint in the right place can do. wink.gif

IPB Image

Nero_Sparda

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »

can you please show more pics of the insides? I would like to see how the PS3 board is connected to the 360 one.

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nero_Sparda @ Jul 24 2008, 07:29 AM)  

can you please show more pics of the insides? I would like to see how the PS3 board is connected to the 360 one.

It's all together now and tearing it all the way back apart to get those kind of pics would cause damage to something as the boards are secured to each other now, this was a WIP thread, not a Tutorial one so there are no pics like that anyway. It's connected with wires, and you're still not getting the real problem here with the one you're trying to make, and after all the PMs we've had too where I've explained it many, many times to you. You're using a Wireless 360 controller board (that you haven't even taken apart yet) this one here was done with the Wired CL version controller board, described more than once in the thread here. So I could actually send this one to ya (which I'm sorry I'm not doing) and you could look at it under a magnifying glass all day long and the connections I made, traces I've cut and rewired on and it still wouldn't do you any good at all because it's nothing like what you'll have to do on your board.

This is why I'm not compiling any kind of tutorial on making this thing this way as of now. It's a LOT of work and there are 4 versions of 360 controller that could be used to do it as well as 7 PS3 ones. For the people that would like to see a tutorial done up I seriously do apologize, but really, this thing is a nightmare to do and if you could follow a tutorial on how to do it, then for the most part, you could figure the vast majority of it out on your own. It takes me the better part of a day to make one and that's if I have nothing else to do. It's one of the more demanding and time consuming controller mods that I've done and can think of doing, next to the 3PS60 one, and is definitely not something ya should try your first time out and even with a tutorial you'd still have to be pretty handy with the Dremel, Soldering Iron and at least a somewhat decent understanding of how the controllers differ from each other in their setups so ya can get them wired up together and working.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

Damn. That thing is sick.

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »

Jimmarn

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(RDC @ Oct 2 2008, 10:36 PM) *

Here's a white one I just finished up.

Nice, just a idea, couldnt you use custom buttons aswell, as white buttons from psp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and Paint the d-pad white.

This post has been edited by RDC: Oct 27 2008, 02:24 AM

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »

I guess if ya had a PSP laying around for parts and liked painting ya could. wink.gif

vacuuum

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 04:09:00 AM »

So, any update on the PS D-pad inserted into one of these things?
Pressure-sensitive buttons working?
Also, if I'm not mistaken those are the older S-controller sticks on that white controller.
How do those compare to the ones that come with the 360 originally?

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »

I still haven't stuffed a PS3 D-pad into one, that PS3 daughter board is such a pain to work with that I've stopped putting them in the 360 shells completely for right now as I'm looking into making up my own board for that part of it, but either way it wouldn't be more difficult really to add one in than it was too for the straight 360 controller.

I looked into getting the pressure sensitivity back on at least the 4 main face buttons, but that's just too big of a mess to do and as for reliability I'd have to say it would probably work for a few times before something gave on it. The only way I can see that happening is if I used a different main board that had contacts similar to the PS3 controllers or had my own board made up with the proper layout, and even then the Bumpers would have to be dealt with in a completely different way. I don't play much on the PS3, but I never really found any games on the PS2 that used the feature as far as the buttons go, the button has far too little travel for that pressure sensitive feature to be of any real value anyway.

The sticks are from the PS3 controller, the S-controller sticks are just like the 360 ones except they're black, and it's really a personal preference which ones someone likes more/less than the other.

vacuuum

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 02:17:00 AM »

I might dive into this if I get some cheap parts.
This would look awesome with a black controller =P
btw, ever considered selling these things, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one interested happy.gif

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

Just about any 360 controller will do ya for the board, just depends on which one ya get as to how big a mess it'll be to get it setup in the 3 Common Line setup that Sony uses so ya can wire them together, the one 360 controller board that ya do not want to use for this is the CG one as splitting the grounds on that thing would be a real headache and just not worth it.

Most of the ones I've done have been the Black controllers, no one seems to care for the White one much.

I do on occasion make one up, but when a controller has a price tag close to what the console costs not many people get in line for that.  wink.gif

Just a really, and I mean really rough rundown of what goes into one of these things is..

Get the controllers, and since there are 2 versions of DS3 and 3 of the 360 controller board ya can use that changes the amount of work and what all has to be done for each combination, hence no tutorial on it.

Strip the 360 board of pretty much every component, again depends on the version of 360 board you're dealing with.

Remove the Sticks, Battery Connector and LEDs from the DS3 board, also the Daughter board Connector, but again that's board version dependent.

Rewire the 360 board to conform to the PS3 layout, this can be a real mess and again depending on what version of 360 board ya have that has to be gone about differently for each one, but they all involve cutting traces at the right spots and soldering wires in place.

Trim the Triggers from the 360 board so it will allow the PS3 board to fit in between them, this has to be done as well as the PS3 board trimmed to make it all fit.

Cut the DS3 board so it'll fit between the widened Triggers, there is a certain amount ya can take off it and not really hurt anything, any more and ya make a real mess to rebuild, too little and it's not gonna fit.

Mount the PS3 Sticks on the 360 board, bit of a mess as they aren't made to fit in there.

Wire the one to the other, this also depends on which versions of board ya have as to how it goes and takes around 20 or so wires of 30awg that are only a couple inches long for the most part and all have to be soldered to spots just about as small as the wire is. The first few aren't so bad, but once ya get about half way thru ya start to wonder. wink.gif

Then the shell even has to be messed with to get the proper range back out of the Sticks and to allow everything to fit back together.

This is another reason I doubt I'll make a tutorial any time soon as each of those brief outlines leaves out a TON of details that are extremely important as well and would almost have to be done via a video tutorial or just a load of pics. This brief outline also brings up so many questions that could have anywhere from 1 to 6 answers depending on what boards you're working with, so if anyone goes getting into one of these it's a mess no matter how ya slice it.

If I had to pick out the easiest way to make one it would be the older DS3 controller and a Wired CL 360 board. Reason is the Wired CL can have the Common Line split to conform to the DS3 layout much easier than either of the Matrix boards while the older DS3 has the connector on it and after it's removed ya have access to every button on both sides of the DS3 board to wire things up, so ya can keep the wiring mess half and half on it sorta, plus the CL board has TP spots to hit for the most part and that makes wiring the 2 together a little easier.

The combination I use most times is the Wireless Matrix board and either of the DS3 boards, the new version ones here mainly as the older ones with the connector are becoming scarce.

sassyness77

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »

could you email me with the type of xbox controller and also the type of ps3 controller that you found was the easyiest to do this with?                                      [email protected]  
thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7