xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ps360 Controller  (Read 649 times)

h4xx3d

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« on: November 19, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

Okay, so I took apart my ps3 controller tonight [my god, the innards are atrocious...] Little plastic bits and pieces go flying out all over... not even going to attempt putting this thing back together.. However, as a result of the odd construction, which includes a daughterboard comprised of a thin material, it looks like the majority of this mod is going to be easier than I had first expected.

The traces are easy to follow to find out which is for which button and it shouldn't be too tough to make new connections where this daughterboard connects to the rest of the controller. The biggest challenge will be moving the left joystick into position. The right joystick can be lined up almost perfectly without being moved.

Anyways, I'm new to soldering and have never really attempted a mod like this so progress is likely to be fairly slow... Any tips or any sort of help would be greatly appreciated. One of the things I'm not so sure of is how to efficiently connect multiple buttons to their common ground..

bigjimmy

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »

Well good luck with it. Should be awesome when you finish it....

Lol also good luck putting the controller back together.......those 2 plastic bits inbetween the L1, L2, R1 and R2 buttons are absolute bitches to get back in properly.....I spent about 1 hour getting those to sit properly...

One bit of advice, just be careful when you soldering to those tiny tracks.....when I was new to soldering I tried getting old computer motherboards and soldering random wires to it before I starting modding xboxs and PS2s.

EDIT: Typo

This post has been edited by bigjimmy: Nov 20 2006, 06:11 AM

theLimpy

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

Yeah i have both the 360 (wired) and PS3 (6 axis, why not) controller spread out beside me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif). I've always hated the sony controllers, so if i can get this to work, i wont havet to feel like im going to break the controller when ever i play playstation 3 ...when ever i get one. (play playstation..  wtf?) anyways it looks like it should all "fit" inside the 360 shell. the D-pads line up rather nicely, and the rubber thumb grips from the 360 fit on the six axis joysticks (not the other way around too?) so it looks like it should work.

the lobo

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

dude. if you get this to work. I'll pay a pretty good amount of money because those playstation controllers suck.

alsybub

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

It's not so much the design of the controller, although it's hardly inspiring.

I think I would be far more excited about a mod to use either 360 or xbox analog sticks.

I HATE dualshock sticks and I thought Sony might have at least addressed this because everyone knows they are far to un responsive for any kind of accuracy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

This post has been edited by alsybub: Nov 24 2006, 06:46 PM

h4xx3d

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »

I'm not sure that's even possible, unfortunately.

This post has been edited by h4xx3d: Nov 26 2006, 01:32 AM

the lobo

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »

Srysly, if anyone can put just the insides of the PS3 controller into a 360 controller, so it would look and feel just like one, I would shell out big money.

b15ginz

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(the lobo @ Nov 26 2006, 02:24 AM) View Post

Srysly, if anyone can put just the insides of the PS3 controller into a 360 controller, so it would look and feel just like one, I would shell out big money.

i think it would b impossible, some bondo and cutting needs to take place. isnt the controller for the ps3 whider and thicker? the boards inside wouldnt match.

h4xx3d

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(b15ginz @ Dec 2 2006, 04:07 PM) *

i think it would b impossible, some bondo and cutting needs to take place. isnt the controller for the ps3 whider and thicker? the boards inside wouldnt match.

This is exactly what I plan to do and it's actually a very small board within the ps3 controller case. I'm confident that it will be possible to cram it into a 360 controller shell. It won't be easy mind you, but it should be possible. I'm just waiting for my credit card to arrive so I can order the needed parts. Sure some cutting may need to happen, but that's not a major issue.

This post has been edited by h4xx3d: Dec 3 2006, 06:17 AM

the lobo

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »

please do it dude.  that would be awesome.

ProChief CXVII

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »

good luck

h4xx3d

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

Okay, so I have a ps3 now. Walked into futureshop just as they got a shipment of 4  happy.gif So yea, should make things easier.. Anyways, I have finals this week but will place an order for tools, etc. Shortly. Then I just need to learn to solder...  tongue.gif  But considering the number of ps3's out there, I think it will be okay if it's not finished right away. I really want this controller though, so hopefully it will be complete by christmas or the week after. I know it's feasible.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 03:17:00 AM »

Good luck, but i'm very skeptical that it will work; i done a lot of controller modding with adding extra buttons and such, and what you are doing i would not even attempt.

h4xx3d

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »

Never said it would be easy :-P But if this can be done, our mod can as well. I don't see it being finished too soon, though. I am going to take the time to work up some soldering skills before even attempting this mod. However, if you look at the ps3 controller's board, the majority of the mod should be much simpler than doing the equivalent to a 360 controller.

dhrandy1

• Archived User
Ps360 Controller
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 08:16:00 PM »

got any pics of the inside? i think it's funny how usually people that like the 360 like the controller better and vice versa   jester.gif huh.gif
Pages: [1] 2