xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Used 60gb Ps3, No Video  (Read 793 times)

Sociodemographic

• Archived User
Used 60gb Ps3, No Video
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »

I work at a thrift store and someone brought in a 60gb PS3.  The PS3 was my "christmas bonus" so I got it free of charge.  

After taking it home and setting it up, I discovered that it does not display video or audio, over HDMI or component.  My controller cannot locate my PS3, even when connected via usb.  The console boots fine, and "appears" to load games, DVDs and BluRay discs without a problem (judging by the blue light).  The console shows no signs of damage or misuse.  I do not know which version of the firmware it has as it is used.

Here are some of the things I have tried.

Resetting the video settings by holding down the power button.  (does not do three beeps.)
Switched TVs
Switched inputs on TVs
Switched cables
Installed a new HD
Reinstalled original HD
Power cycling and repeating the above procedures.

Are there any other things I can do to try and remedy this problem?  

Thanks in advance.

SphtKr76

• Archived User
Used 60gb Ps3, No Video
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »

Send it back to Sony to get fixed, but you'll have to pay $150 since its more than a year old. Its not that uncommon, check ebay, they are lost of broken ones with the same problem.

Odb718

• Archived User
Used 60gb Ps3, No Video
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »

Ok this is exactly the same problem I'm having. I've also tried the same things, different tvs with different cables. Controllers wont connect and everything.

So this is a common problem?
I have a question. If the PS3 is displaying a black screen because of mismatched video settings the controllers WILL connect? Like you know this is the problem when the joysticks can't find the PS3 right?

And has anyone dealt with Sony's replacement policies and procedures to know the common routine.
I have two broken ps3s. One, black screen of death apparently, the other has a dead bluray. If I combine the two and ship them in, do I get another refurbished ps3 or will they actually fix the one I send in?? Would they know I've swapped the drives and charge extra?

Odb718

• Archived User
Used 60gb Ps3, No Video
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »

Ok somehow I fixed it... or it just started working again.
Craziest part... I have screws left over rolleyes.gif
Not sure what did it, but I took it apart, down to the motherboard shielding. Didn't take that off because I didn't see the point. Screwed everything back together and hooked it up.

When I turned it on for the first time, I didn't have the A/V cables (standard yellow red white) plugged into the PS3 or the TV. I held the power button for a complete power cycle.

The second time I plugged in the cables, turned it on holding the power down. After the reset beep, still holding the power, I hit the eject button with the same hand. (index = power, thumb = eject) Low and behold the screen popped white and black lines for a second like it was just getting a blank signal. Then the start up music played and the dashboard popped up!!

The second time I turned it on, I got the music and green and black squares as if the video card had died. (or is dieing)

BUUUUUUUUT The third time I turned it on everything worked great. I tried loading a game and it works. More then likely the "video card" is gonna kick the bucket for good soon.

Anyway, hope this works for other people. I'd just try the steps I did after I put it back together first and see if it's not like a better reset or something.

Kyleg001

• Archived User
Used 60gb Ps3, No Video
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

Odb718, Sony, may fix the PS3 depending on the problem (normally only software) or else you will get a refurbished unit. This problem is common, in that I have not seen that many problems in comparison to how many PS3s were sold and are working. But, of the problems this one is up there. I believe this mainly affected the first generation or PS3s, and may have been reasoning for the design change of the heat sink/fan.

This video issue I have found can be caused by an overheating of the graphics processor, right next to the CPU (the paste dries up/non flush surface of heat sink/running system for LONG periods at a time/dust/etc.). I've been lucky enough to re-paste the heat sink and get some working; others may require a replacement chip. Which is not at all easy to obtain (normally steal one from a parts MOBO).

I never realized the controller won't connect.