xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Video...  (Read 325 times)

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
No Video...
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(sepias @ Jun 26 2008, 08:53 PM) View Post

So I was playing MGS4 and my video starts to flicker in and out. Its done this before buy only when I'm running in 1080P, which i recently dropped down to 720P and solved the problem. I kept playing thinking it would go away like always, well wrong. Now I have no video. My tv says check cables, and every now and then will flicker to a snowy screen. I've tried to reset it to factory defaults by holding the power button until second beep so I can get video back, but no picture comes up. Anyone have any clues? I know that PS3s have issues with the HDMI ports overheating and no longer working, but I hope this isn't the case here. I am using monster cables by the way. The worst part is the system is 3 months old and doesn't have a warranty...

Thanks in advance
Sepias

I decided to hook my PS2 cables up to my PS3 and see if video would come through them. It does. Now for some reason I can change it back in the settings to HDMI and its running fine, even on 1080P. Anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? It wasn't a loose connection, I unplugged and replugged everything before trying the PS2 cables. Its just weird.

Let me know your thoughts

Sepias

I haven't heard anyone mention an issue with the HDMI ports overheating so that is a new one for me, I would like to see where you found that info.

As far as your actual issue, to me it sounds like an HDCP handshaking issue. Some monitors can have issues with maintaining the connection.
Example would be my SP5000 projector will lose HDCP HDMI connection if you are viewing another source for a while and then switch back to HDMI, you will just have a blank screen or some devices like my cable set top box says "The HDCP of your display has been compromised and all you see is that and a blue screen.
I have had a blank screen from the PS3 also, one way I "fixed" was to unplug the power to both devices (PS3 and Projector) and this let them reconnect to each other properly.
My permanent fix was to get an HDCP compliant HDMI switch, I was not using any switch before that. I have had no issues with HDCP since then.
I do see the snowy screen when I change back and forth from one source to the other using the switch and when I start each game (I would think it is re-issuing the HDCP connection when you are starting the game.)

jim7297

• Archived User
No Video...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(sepias @ Jun 27 2008, 02:53 AM) View Post

So I was playing MGS4 and my video starts to flicker in and out. Its done this before buy only when I'm running in 1080P, which i recently dropped down to 720P and solved the problem. I kept playing thinking it would go away like always, well wrong. Now I have no video. My tv says check cables, and every now and then will flicker to a snowy screen. I've tried to reset it to factory defaults by holding the power button until second beep so I can get video back, but no picture comes up. Anyone have any clues? I know that PS3s have issues with the HDMI ports overheating and no longer working, but I hope this isn't the case here. I am using monster cables by the way. The worst part is the system is 3 months old and doesn't have a warranty...

Thanks in advance
Sepias

I decided to hook my PS2 cables up to my PS3 and see if video would come through them. It does. Now for some reason I can change it back in the settings to HDMI and its running fine, even on 1080P. Anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? It wasn't a loose connection, I unplugged and replugged everything before trying the PS2 cables. Its just weired.

Let me know your thoughts

Sepias

My ps3 is doing the same thing....i reset the ps3 to factory settings using the powerbutton and it came on with the set of factory a/v cables I started playing PAIN and my ps3 locked up. When i restarted it I had no screen again and none of my cables work.(two different sets of a/v cables and two different quality hdmi cables) also ive tried this on three tvs....one samsung 40 lcd and two regular tvs.  Any suggestions would be helpfull as sony wants 149usd to take a look at it.