xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Swapping Bluray Drives  (Read 332 times)

nightkrawler

• Archived User
Swapping Bluray Drives
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »

Hello,my bluray drive is bad in my ps3 can I get a new drive and just swap it or do i have to do something special to it

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Swapping Bluray Drives
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:49:00 AM »

Good question.

The original xbox was able to hot swap out their dvd drives without doing anything else, but i've tried to just swap the 360's dvd drive, and it would NOT work - the console wouldn't recognize game discs.  I'm guessing the ps3 would be the same, with its BR drive.  But that is just speculation.

Birdtales

• Archived User
Swapping Bluray Drives
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »

I just replaced one in a 60GB Unit the other day. I got the new drive (from an X-S member) with the circuit board attached. Installed it and it did not work. I took the circuit board off of my busted drive and put it on the new drive and my PS3 once again works perfectly.

If the circuit board is bad on the dead drive I don't have a clue how you would swap them out though. The key must be on the circuit board that ties it to the PS3 motherboard.

This post has been edited by Birdtales: May 27 2008, 05:47 PM

GORANGORAN

• Archived User
Swapping Bluray Drives
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:26:00 AM »

if you dont have circuit board ,just replace laser!!!

XBoy

• Archived User
Swapping Bluray Drives
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(GORANGORAN @ Jun 2 2008, 10:26 AM) View Post

if you dont have circuit board ,just replace laser!!!

But if the circuit board died, then what do you do???

letsmod

• Archived User
Swapping Bluray Drives
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »

just like the Xbox 360 the PS3 drives are married witha  key set, no match no boot

Velocimodz

• Archived User
Swapping Bluray Drives
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »

Is it possible to find DVD Key from CPU as it is with 360? For consoles with lost drives we could then obtain the key and flash or emulate another drive board. There is not much information on the net about this, only some old hack involving downgrading to 3.42 and installing some files, but it never worked for me. I would prefer the flash method or even better a device like x360key/Wasabi 360 Ultra that can emulate a drive as long as the key is first stored in it. Then I can reball some PS3's, flash some drives, and get these PS3's running again with CFW of course.

I hope someone can actually answer this question.