xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Wont Display Video  (Read 453 times)

michaellzzy

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »

Streaming Video Web Software provides various opportunities and advantages for Webmasters who intend to put video(s) on their Site.

Falconz24

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »

Alright, so I bought a PS3 off ebay that wasn't displaying any video.  I heard about some where you can just use the HDMI cable and it should work.  So I had been searching on ebay and then I bargin with a guy on there and got a good deal so I figuered I would see what happens.  So I got a Component cable and a HDMI cable and neither give me video.  I tried to reset the PS3 by holding the power, still nothing.  Everything else seems to work fine it boots, takes disc, ejects disc, just no video.  Anyone out there know what I can do to fix this issue or know someone who can fix it for me?

Thank you

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »

I think it's the eject button that's supposed to reset settings to default. Perhaps it's in 1080p and your TV doesn't support 1080p?

goodl

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »

I have the same issue, and my TV supports all video formats (1080p and below) if you get any help drop me a pm. Tried the hold power button video reset with every video cable there is (HDMI/Composite/Compnent)

MolsonH

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »

Did you ever find a solution to this, I'm considering buying a PS3 that has the same problem.
Thanks

crosseye

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »

Has anyone ever considered heatgunning the motherboard in the same way that is done with the 360 when it is having no video issues?

sniperkris

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »

Did anybody ever find a solution to this problem?  I'm having the same problem with my PS3.  I cut it on like usual, and all the sudden the screen went black.  I've tried every cable there is, and reset the system--still black screen.  It came back on for a split second and then gone again.  Any recommendations???

anntong

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »

I'm so sorry,I cann't give you a favor unsure.gif

Kyleg001

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »

sniperkris,

If you can send it back to Sony and pay $150, then do it. If not my only suggestion is to redo the paste on the heat sink to the graphics chip/CPU. Or you might need a replacement chip (don't bother)
I know this sucks, but this is why there are so many on EBay (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Light-It-Up

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »

Hello People,
If the console turns on and you have sound but no display, it means GPU needs to be heated up so GPU can connect with the motherboard again, samething happens with the 360 consoles as well, if you get the red flashing light of death means that Cell CPU needs to be heated up as well.

I have a tutorial on how to do it, going to put it up tonight or tomorrow

any questions just ask

pop.gif

HumanCyris

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »

I hate to bump an old post but Light-It-Up may just be right on the money (litterly for me) with this issuse of sound but no video. I fix xbox 360s and basicly this is the same problem with the RROD ( red ring of death). they put some cheap ass thermal heat compounds on these systems and expect it the cool processors of this kind of power. I say if its possible like the 360s are take it apart remove the fan cooling the system and just turn it on. if that doesn't heat the system get a heat gun but be very careful. once its heated enough remove the old thermal compound with WD-40 or alcohol and a Q-tip and a cotton clothe then re=apply some good thermal compound like arctic silver.

P.S. I've never used WD-40 to clean a cpu or gpu of bad thermal compound but people say it works better then alcohol.

P.S.S. there is a youtube video of a guy with a overheated CPU and he uses a heatgun to fix his YLOD problem. Search for PS3 YLOD Fix Part 1 of 2.

This post has been edited by HumanCyris: May 18 2009, 04:38 PM

Light-It-Up

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »

Check out my tutorial, its at PS3 General / Hardware Chat, trying the reflow on the GPU may bring the video back.

Light-It-Up

pop.gif

whyexactly

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(HumanCyris @ May 18 2009, 10:36 AM) *

I hate to bump an old post but Light-It-Up may just be right on the money (litterly for me) with this issuse of sound but no video. I fix xbox 360s and basicly this is the same problem with the RROD ( red ring of death). they put some cheap ass thermal heat compounds on these systems and expect it the cool processors of this kind of power. I say if its possible like the 360s are take it apart remove the fan cooling the system and just turn it on. if that doesn't heat the system get a heat gun but be very careful. once its heated enough remove the old thermal compound with WD-40 or alcohol and a Q-tip and a cotton clothe then re=apply some good thermal compound like arctic silver.

P.S. I've never used WD-40 to clean a cpu or gpu of bad thermal compound but people say it works better then alcohol.

P.S.S. there is a youtube video of a guy with a overheated CPU and he uses a heatgun to fix his YLOD problem. Search for PS3 YLOD Fix Part 1 of 2.

Sony uses a much better looking compound than Microsoft, but it can still get dried out/cooked.

wildwild

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »

I resuscitated mine back to life by re-flowing both the CPU and GPU. It's still working after 1 month smile.gif

Do it as a last resort wink.gif

Good Luck rolleyes.gif

gordonj1085

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Display Video
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »

i to have a ps3 with the same issue... i have already tried the hot gun treatment  and ive already unplugged the fan so that it will heat up and still nothing.. please help,any suggestion would be helpful.