xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvds Look Terrible On My Lcd Using My Ps3  (Read 336 times)

codefinder

• Archived User
Dvds Look Terrible On My Lcd Using My Ps3
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

I have a LG 37 inch LCD that I bought 2 weeks ago. When I play my regular DVDs in the PS3 console, they look like crap. I am using HDMI cable to connect my PS3 to the TV.

My PS3 games look great at 1080i. Just wondering can someone help me or give me some advice on the matter.

If I'm stuck with crappy DVD quality, then I may go out buy an upscaling DVD player.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks,

C

IcBlUsCrN

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

I dont The ps3 does not upscale regular dvds, so it wont look that good , id say get a upconverting dvd player, or an xbox360. I was never this picky but they do look better upscaled, i can tell a big difference between 360 and ps3, i think a modded xbox1 also upscales through hd RGB as well. From what i read the ps3 just does not have the hardware??? to upscale.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

The native resolution on your tv is probably 1366 by 768, the PS3 doesn't upscale dvd's (which sucks balls) so it is outputting 480p and your tv is having to upscale it to it's native resolution resulting in a crappy picture.

Sony has said they will "enable" upscaling in the future but unitil than buy a upscaling dvd player, I suggest an OPPO upscaling dvd player, best dvd player i have ever owned and not to expensive.

col_klink

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

Actually, the 360 sucks at playing standard dvd's as well.  Of the three, the best is probably a modified original xbox running xbox media center upscaling to 720p.  However, in the future, the ps3 and 360 could see a software update that improves their poor DVD playing ability.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(codefinder @ Jan 18 2007, 10:13 PM) View Post

I have a LG 37 inch LCD that I bought 2 weeks ago. When I play my regular DVDs in the PS3 console, they look like crap. I am using HDMI cable to connect my PS3 to the TV.

My PS3 games look great at 1080i. Just wondering can someone help me or give me some advice on the matter.

If I'm stuck with crappy DVD quality, then I may go out buy an upscaling DVD player.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks,

C

As has been mentioned you really need an upscaling player to get regular DVDs to look good since they are so far off of the native resolution of your HDTV.  The thing is that you really can't go cheap with the upscaling players.  They come out looking like shite if you do.  My personal recommendation are the Oppo upconverting players.  They are a newer company that has been winning all sorts of awards on the high-end market.  We are taking about players that are competing with the $400-$500 Denon, Marantz, ect. players.  So keep that in perspective when you look at the pricetags on these.  Since your TV only displays up to 1080i, you can go with one of the cheaper Oppo players.  The Oppos also have a number of cool high end features (ie wide divx/xvid codec support as well as WMP support), built in PAL to NTSC converter so that you can play formats from all over the world, with the push of 4-5 buttons on your DVD Player remote you can enter in a code to make your player region free.  The other feature that I really enjoy is that the Oppos automatically adjust the display so you don't end up with a bunch of stuff cut off on your screen, without having to use fill or other such adjustment features on your TV which can make the picture quality worse.  I personally have the 981 model since my set supports up to 1080p and I absolutely love it.   Anyways, check them out at http://www.oppodigital.com