xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hdmi To Dvi\d  (Read 335 times)

adiaz

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

Hi guys, I just got a PS3 and need some advice... The thing is that I'm planning to buy a HD TV one or two month from now, but in the meantime I want to use my 22'' LCD monitor which has a DVI input. According to what i have read, I can buy a HDMI to DVI cable from monoprice.com. But now the question is what do I have to do in order to hear audio? Can anybody please tell me what my options are? I don't have optical hardware... Are there other workarounds?

Thank you, regards

gr8hifi

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »

you can use the multi AV out for the audio.  It will provide you with the red/white/yellow cable (unless you have the 60GB).  this will work fine AND at the same time as the HDMI out... you just have to set it up in the menus.

adiaz

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »

I do have a 60 Gigs...

epsilon72

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »

Just a heads up, there's a distinct possibility your monitor won't work with the PS3 if it isn't HDCP compliant.

supergrafx

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »

Most likely your moniter is not HDCP compliant. Your two best choices are either the x2vga2, which is now available with the 2.0 version for actually supporting 1080p. See it at www.x2vga.com . Or you can get what I got, the FC4, which can be found on ebay. The hdmi, outputs only hdcp, which is nothing less than a way to make new electronics not work with recent HD TVs. It was a stupid move so that people that copy dvds/blu-ray with real-time AV dv recorders, couldn't make copies of movies, with the new hd-dvd and blu-ray formats coming out. Don't neccessarily blame Sony. Blame the entire industry. This move has basically made all our recent Hdtv's and LCDs useless without some sort of hack. When the 360 will include hdmi, as the scene has pointed out, I conclude that it will be hdcp output only as well. In this case, if you want a true hd 1080p signal, go with the fc4 on ebay as it gets rid of this macrovision like algorythym shit that is bullshit and f's the consumer more than those who would want to pirate hd media. Honestly, smart pirates would probably use just a stupid dvd-rw w/ a application of some kind eventually that breaks the hd code and like. At least this is what I would do, I guess. But the industry is stupid. Perhaps they just want to sell twice as many computer and hdtv screens as they already have. This is my guess, and I will probably be killed for typing this. Big money is on the line. Then again, I listen to Democracy Now, and don't believe anything the media/corporations try to make believe for their personal evil agenda. Anyways, back to my point, the FC4 by breaking the HDCP code, supposably delivers the trueest 1080p or any other signal since the signal is left alone completely and only the copy protection is taken off. It is expensive however, being about $200 on ebay. The x2vga2 with new 2.0 revision can be got at a discount of 65 bucks right now. But you will have to buy the extra component cable to PS3 AV cable as well as $22 in shipping. You see now, your not that much far from the other price. I've been only able to output at 720p due to using a ghetto and really old Dell CRT moniter. Its small and I have to sit kinda close, closer than where my couch is, so that's kinda a pain in the ass. But all in all, they both are quality products, me thinks. I'd go with the fc4, as hdmi seems to be the future and composite the past. Plus, I've heard, that the chips in the fc4 are better than x2vga as well as the x2vga cannot take away the hdcp (doesn't really matter in this case since the av out of the ps3 doesn't supposably output hdcp, only the hdmi output). I hope this clears it of for not just you, but many others who may waste their money thinking a simple hdmi/dvi cable will work to get the clearest hd signal even with a moniter/screen that is not hdcp compiant. Hope this helps.

adiaz

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »

Thanks for your reply supergrafx... now I just have to read it all over again like 5 times and try to understand your comments.... you know, I'm pretty new to this stuff........

Best regards

supergrafx

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(adiaz @ Jan 19 2007, 02:47 PM) View Post

Thanks for your reply supergrafx... now I just have to read it all over again like 5 times and try to understand your comments.... you know, I'm pretty new to this stuff........

Best regards

No problem, I'm glad i could help someone. It just sucks that this is a huge expense unlike the 360's, after we just threw down so much money on the system........

hdmivga

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »

No NEOYA / X2VGA won't fix your issue !

If your display don't have HDCP compatible input (either HDMI or DVI+HDCP) NEOYA, will do NOTHING for you.

You need a HDCP Stripper such as HDfury or Vision or others !
Better take something with the SHORTEST ANALOG LINK to ensure HIGHEST QUALITY possible

Croccy22

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »

You may want to confirm this but i'm fairly sure connecting your ps3 to a monitor using HDMI to DVI will be fine but only for games and ps3 network.

The only time you will have issues is if you are trying to play movies as this is when the HDCP kicks in. Even then though there were rumours that current Blu Ray films don't use this protection yet as a lot of poeple only have hdtv's with component input (red green blue cables) and therefore don't support the HDCP protocol.

I will test tomorrow anyway as i'm bring my ps3 to work with me smile.gif

Someone correct me if they think i'm wrong and have evidence tongue.gif

Matt.

hdmivga

• Archived User
Hdmi To Dvi\d
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Croccy22 @ Mar 27 2007, 02:40 PM) View Post

You may want to confirm this but i'm fairly sure connecting your ps3 to a monitor using HDMI to DVI will be fine but only for games and ps3 network.

The only time you will have issues is if you are trying to play movies as this is when the HDCP kicks in. Even then though there were rumours that current Blu Ray films don't use this protection yet as a lot of poeple only have hdtv's with component input (red green blue cables) and therefore don't support the HDCP protocol.

I will test tomorrow anyway as i'm bring my ps3 to work with me smile.gif

Someone correct me if they think i'm wrong and have evidence tongue.gif

Matt.

Hi matt
HDCP is ALWAYS ACTIVE on HDMI

so there is no way to USE HDMI OUTPUT if you don't have HDCP stripper such as HDfury

However, you can use component analog to get 1080i, the problem is that new firmware removed 720p , and 1080i means 540horizontal that will be upscaled to 720p by the display.
Pretty bad.

to solve any compliance issue, HDCP stripper is the best solution (or use on newer TV with HDMI input)