xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Component To Dvi Adaptor  (Read 356 times)

rblk26

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »

So all my tv's and monitors do not support hdcp.  I would like to connect my ps3 to my 19" samsung 960bf, as a stated before it is not hdcp supported.  I know it wont support a hdmi to dvi connection because of this, but what about components to dvi connection would that work?

epsilon72

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(rblk26 @ Jan 10 2007, 10:27 PM) View Post
So all my tv's and monitors do not support hdcp.  I would like to connect my ps3 to my 19" samsung 960bf, as a stated before it is not hdcp supported.  I know it wont support a hdmi to dvi connection because of this, but what about components to dvi connection would that work?
 I've never seen any Component to DVI adaptors.  I have seen Component to VGA, but those either very expensive or very crappy performers.

EDIT:  Actually, this one doesn't look too bad.  It doesn't do 1080p though.

C o s m o

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »

gr8hifi

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »

Why would it not support hdmi-->dvi?  I have a cable with an hdmi connector on one end and a dvi on the other and it works great.  I use the optical out for my audio.  My TV doesn't support 1080p, but i dont think you plan to do that anyway as the PS3 wont output 1080p over the components anyway (from what I understand).

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »

HDCP only matters if HDCP is required by the source media.

there are NO (READ: NONE, ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH) PS3 games that use HDCP... and there are also NO Blu Ray movies as of yet that use it either..

and HDMI to DVI adapter should have no problems working with your setup.

rblk26

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »

I tried a hdmi to dvi cable and connected to my monitor but got no picture, then I did a little research and the general consensus was that if your monitor did not support hdcp you would get no picture.  So does anyone have a ps3 connected to there monitor with a hdmi to dvi cable and if they do does it matter how many pins are used.

Marrvia

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »

As stated before, a HDMI/DVI adapter or cable should work regardless of HDCP.  There is no way to use at Component to DVI adapter because you need a converter to convert an Analog signal to Digital.  Maybe you just didn't set up the PS3 right, You have to put the video settings on PS3 to HDMI before you are able to see a picture.  Either that or a bad cable maybe?  Or possible that monitor just doesn't support high resolutions you can't use 1080p or 1080i.  Try it with 720p.

epsilon72

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Jan 11 2007, 02:46 PM) *
As stated before, a HDMI/DVI adapter or cable should work regardless of HDCP.  

That's not true - my 2405fpw is proof of that.  It isn't HDCP compatible, and I get no picture when I set everything up correctly for HDMI-->DVI.  From what I've heard the updated 2407fpw (which is HDCP compatible) does work with that cable.

(and I do know how to set everything up the right way.)

I don't know if this is just an issue with computer monitors, it could be.  I don't have a non-hdcp compliant tv with dvi inputs.  Our Sony CRT (not HDCP) works fine with HDMI.

The_Hushed_Casket

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »

Make sure you use a standard input like composite, then once you boot up, set it to output via HDMI, then change the monitor's input to HDMI.

epsilon72

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(The_Hushed_Casket @ Jan 15 2007, 12:06 AM) *
Make sure you use a standard input like composite, then once you boot up, set it to output via HDMI, then change the monitor's input to HDMI.

Yeah, I did.  I actually set everything up for HDMI on our HD CRT (it worked fine, I set the PS3 to HDMI 720p before switching it over), and then moved it over to the Dell monitor and it didn't work.  It shows the correct resolution in the monitor's info screen, there just isn't any picture.

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Jan 16 2007, 01:10 AM

ohnomelon

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »

sorry to bump this four month old thread but it is extremely relevant and it makes the most sense to post here.

i'm having the same problem: my girlfriend bought a 20.1" SCEPTRE widescreen LCD monitor that said HDCP in parantheses (but nowhere else) to use for herself and the PS3. the monitor is 1080i/1080p HD mode ready but apparently it is actually NOT hdcp complaint (how does that even make sense...)

according to the US playstation 3 general forums, i am not getting a signal with HDMI>DVI because the monitor is not HDCP, but this seems like bs because i heard that any monitor should display non hdcp media (like the ps3's cross media bar), in other words, get a video signal.

one problem i think might be that i don't know how to configure the monitor to accept HDMI. all i was doing was hitting the signal change button. i can't find anything about hdmi or dvi in the menu. i tried changing the PS3 to hdmi but that didn't get a signal...

also according to the US Playstation 3 general forums, i could use a component>DVI connector or something, but the only female component to male DVI that i could find requires certain graphics cards with up to date drivers. doesn't sound right?

i tried connecting the PS3 to two different non HD lcd monitors and this HD ready monitor with two different HDMI>DVI connecters and never got a signal! so it must be not setting the monitor up right, not setting the ps3 up right, or hdmi-dvi just doesn't work? help! i swear sony used black magic when they made these dumb DRMs and HDCP!

KYMO02

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

HEY I JUST WENT TO WWW.EBAY.CO.UK AND FOUND A COMPONENT TO DVI CABLE.  WITH OVERSEAS SHIPPING IT CAME OUT TO AROUND $40.   ITS FROM A COMPANY CALLED K1CONNECTIONS.  ILL UPDATE IF IT WORKED OUT

tjmax

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(KYMO02 @ Aug 23 2007, 05:35 PM) View Post

HEY I JUST WENT TO WWW.EBAY.CO.UK AND FOUND A COMPONENT TO DVI CABLE.  WITH OVERSEAS SHIPPING IT CAME OUT TO AROUND $40.   ITS FROM A COMPANY CALLED K1CONNECTIONS.  ILL UPDATE IF IT WORKED OUT

Well did it ever work out!? LOL
I need to know because I'm faced with the same challenge.  sad.gif

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Component To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »

Play asia's got some VGA cables for the PS3/Wii for about $35