xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps2 Games Not Rendered At Correct Aspect Or Scaled Incorrectly?  (Read 193 times)

chane2k1

• Archived User
Ps2 Games Not Rendered At Correct Aspect Or Scaled Incorrectly?
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:46:00 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that when playing a PS2 games they have really bad jagged edges on images, video and as well as game play? This happens on every PS2 game i have except for Soul Calibur 3 which renders images in there right aspect or resolution. It just feels like PS2 games are suffering from bad scaling, I only have an old SD 480i tv so im not sure if the games are upscaled at different resolutions and look better on hd sets or not.

chane2k1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »

does anyone else have this problem?

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »

PS3 does not scale or emulate. It actually uses hardware on the mobo the run the games.

This means that they are the same as they were on the PS2 or PS1.

Although I did notive that they didn't look anywhere near as good as they do on my PS2.

Sony has said they will be dealing with PS2 compatibilty issues but don't expect anything more than what your PS2 currently pumps out.

BOO Sony!

Xeriak

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

Yeah, all my PS2 games look shitty when played on the PS3 as well..

I might just as well keep playing all my unfinished PS2 games on my actual PS2 on which they look much better.

But the whole point of me gettin a PS3 was mainly about backwards compatibility, so I'd have a system that can play all 3 generation of games(PSX, PS2 and PS3). But clearly, it looks like I won't be enjoying my PS2 games on the PS3 yet, cause I can't afford an eyesore from staring at super jagged images/videos/graphics..

Craptastic!

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »

There's a large thread at the official PS forums regarding this issue.  It has something to do with certain lines of pixels being rotated horizontally, causing the jagged look.  Here's the thread:

http://boardsus.play...hread.id=808212

Error69

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 03:20:00 AM »

According to some of the smarter forum members over at GAF, this is an issue with the PS2 inside the PS3 not having the correct software scaler. Based on that assumption, and since I just picked up a PS3 last night, I decided to try some things out.

Backwards Compatibility Issue & Partial Fix

Since the HDTV Xploder disk for PS2 is a way of "grabbing" the scaler in the PS2 you can use the disk to boot some of the troublesome PS2 games. Regardless of what you do, I recommend setting the PS3's display to 480i only. Haven't done any updates yet, but on my PS3 you can go into the custom video settings and uncheck everything except 480i. This theoretically gives you a more native signal from the internal PS2. If your game supports 480p just select the option in the PS2 game not within the PS3(We don't want the PS3 handling the PS2's display).

What the above does is lets you use the HDTVX disk for troublesome games which is mainly the ones that do not support 480p. Most of the games I tested that do support 480p seem to look fine. It is mainly the games that aren't displaying in a native 640x480 resolution that often give trouble.

Valkyrie Profile 2 looks perfect in 480p 16:9 without the boot disk
Final Fantasy XII looks terrible in 480i 16:9, but looks gorgeous via boot disk in 480p 4:3
(16:9 isn't available in 480p for FFXII)
Silent Hill 3 looks crap in 480i, but looks fantastic in 480p via the HDTVX disk.

All Sony needs to do is put the scaler software that Xploder is using for thier boot disk and add the options to select 4:3 or 16:9 and 480i. Stick that in the PS3 via firmware update and everyone is happy. laugh.gif

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Error69 @ Jan 1 2007, 04:27 AM) View Post

According to some of the smarter forum members over at GAF, this is an issue with the PS2 inside the PS3 not having the correct software scaler. Based on that assumption, and since I just picked up a PS3 last night, I decided to try some things out.

Backwards Compatibility Issue & Partial Fix

Since the HDTV Xploder disk for PS2 is a way of "grabbing" the scaler in the PS2 you can use the disk to boot some of the troublesome PS2 games. Regardless of what you do, I recommend setting the PS3's display to 480i only. Haven't done any updates yet, but on my PS3 you can go into the custom video settings and uncheck everything except 480i. This theoretically gives you a more native signal from the internal PS2. If your game supports 480p just select the option in the PS2 game not within the PS3(We don't want the PS3 handling the PS2's display).

What the above does is lets you use the HDTVX disk for troublesome games which is mainly the ones that do not support 480p. Most of the games I tested that do support 480p seem to look fine. It is mainly the games that aren't displaying in a native 640x480 resolution that often give trouble.

Valkyrie Profile 2 looks perfect in 480p 16:9 without the boot disk
Final Fantasy XII looks terrible in 480i 16:9, but looks gorgeous via boot disk in 480p 4:3
(16:9 isn't available in 480p for FFXII)
Silent Hill 3 looks crap in 480i, but looks fantastic in 480p via the HDTVX disk.

All Sony needs to do is put the scaler software that Xploder is using for thier boot disk and add the options to select 4:3 or 16:9 and 480i. Stick that in the PS3 via firmware update and everyone is happy. laugh.gif

This really sounds like the best resolution until Sony fixes the issue. Has anyone tried this HDTVX disk wihile using an HDMI cable? HDMI setting does not allow 480i.

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »

Good news people, the new update today fixed this problem!  PS1 & PS2 games now look as good as on the original hardware!

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 06:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Jan 24 2007, 06:39 PM) *
Good news people, the new update today fixed this problem!  PS1 & PS2 games now look as good as on the original hardware!

Or slightly better, if you're using HDMI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Elusid

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

Yeah I was really shocked when the new update fixed all of that. It looks SO much better so now people can stop bitching about the PS3 not being to play PS2 and PS1 games. +1 for Sony =D