xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Big Problem With Hdmi And Hdtv  (Read 239 times)

zerosignal0

• Archived User
Big Problem With Hdmi And Hdtv
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »

Ok so heres the deal.  I have a Olevia LT42HVi that is capable of just about any of the new features in HD right now but whenever I plug the ps3 into it using HDMI everything is shaded almost all green.  so what this means pretty much is everything that would be black is green... even games and movies.  Now before someone says its the tv let me just say that I have a HD dvd player using HDMI with NO PROBLEMS! So the next thing I thought was "well maybe its the hdmi cable". Bought another one.  Fixed nothing.  The only way that I can get my system to not see green is to turn the tv off and then back on .  So how this works is turn the tv on, ps3 on, tv off, tv on, see the main bootup screen.  Then to watch a movie or play a game , insert disc, select and play, tv off, tv on.  Now I do know that the reason why I need to turn the tv on and off is every time it changes resolutions.  What I dont understand also is that my tv supports 1080i and 1080P contrary to what some websites say about it.  Yet the system says that my highest resolution is 720P....

Im really confused and could use some help.  has anyone ever heard of this before?

thanks in advance!

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(zerosignal0 @ Nov 18 2006, 06:31 PM) View Post

Ok so heres the deal.  I have a Olevia LT42HVi that is capable of just about any of the new features in HD right now but whenever I plug the ps3 into it using HDMI everything is shaded almost all green.  so what this means pretty much is everything that would be black is green... even games and movies.  Now before someone says its the tv let me just say that I have a HD dvd player using HDMI with NO PROBLEMS! So the next thing I thought was "well maybe its the hdmi cable". Bought another one.  Fixed nothing.  The only way that I can get my system to not see green is to turn the tv off and then back on .  So how this works is turn the tv on, ps3 on, tv off, tv on, see the main bootup screen.  Then to watch a movie or play a game , insert disc, select and play, tv off, tv on.  Now I do know that the reason why I need to turn the tv on and off is every time it changes resolutions.  What I dont understand also is that my tv supports 1080i and 1080P contrary to what some websites say about it.  Yet the system says that my highest resolution is 720P....

Im really confused and could use some help.  has anyone ever heard of this before?

thanks in advance!

It might be a bad PS3, but it could also be your TV.  I know you said the HD DVD player works, but that doesn't mean it's the PS3s fault.  THe best way to tell is to hook it up to another display with an HDMI input.

Good Luck.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 11:41:00 PM »

Nice noname tv. How do you mean support 1080p ? The tv is 1366*766 no? Tried hooking the ps3 up to another tv that has hdmi. To me it sounds like its the tv that has issues so I'd call olevias custumer support.

zerosignal0

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 20 2006, 07:12 AM) *

Nice noname tv. How do you mean support 1080p ? The tv is 1366*766 no? Tried hooking the ps3 up to another tv that has hdmi. To me it sounds like its the tv that has issues so I'd call olevias custumer support.

Well first of all I dont have TONS of money to blow so sorry if my tv doesnt meet "your" standards but besides that I think it is a problem with my tv but... I dont really see why any of my other HDMI devices dont have a problem and this thing does (Im not really all that impressed with the ps3 honestly).

Also That kind of is my problem except for it occurs every time I turn the machine off and then back on (reguardless of the 5 second power button trick) Im almost wondering if my TV needs a firmware update (believe it or not this set actually does have updates that can be done by a service person).  Im going to try to get one out to take a look but if anyone else has any info please let me know.

thanks

zerosignal0

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 02:21:00 AM »

Ok heres another oddity. I have installed fedora core 5 on the ps3 and everythings fine except my graphics.  Im not sure how it is on anyone elses system but I cant change my resolution.  Its stuck on 576x384 at 60hz.  Is that the only rez we can get or is it still having to do with the other problems im having? Reason I ask again is because when linux is booting the screen is fine but as soon as the rez change happens when the gui starts the screen does the green haze again.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(zerosignal0 @ Nov 20 2006, 04:52 AM) View Post

Ok heres another oddity. I have installed fedora core 5 on the ps3 and everythings fine except my graphics.  Im not sure how it is on anyone elses system but I cant change my resolution.  Its stuck on 576x384 at 60hz.  Is that the only rez we can get or is it still having to do with the other problems im having? Reason I ask again is because when linux is booting the screen is fine but as soon as the rez change happens when the gui starts the screen does the green haze again.

If I had to guess I would say it is a display issue.  Ask around AVS and see if anybody has your display and has had similar issues.  If an update is available check to see what it fixes, they usually have release notes saying why the FW update is needed.  Better yet take your PS3 to a store and ask the manager to test out some TVs.  If it occurs on every display you have a bad PS3 and if not you should contact the display manfucturer and see if an update is available.

Good Luck

tvonderhaar

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

I have the very same TV and the very same problem.  Since two people have the very same hardware and the very same problem, it has to be a firmware problem with either the TV or the PS3.  I have tried various things including isolating grounds and nothing works.  I am not an HDMI expert, but it must be a handshaking thing.  Have you contacted Olevia about the problem yet?

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »

The PS3 has handshake issues with some non-brand-name tv's, Westinghouse as well as Olevia.  At this point we're not sure if its the displays' fault or the PS3's, but it could be both - Some Westinghouse displays have handshake issues with some cable boxes, but work fine with Blu-ray/HD-dvd players, so who knows.

Do you have a DVI input?  For the current revision of the Westinghouse LVM-42w2 there are a lot of problems with HDMI but everything works fine with DVI.

h4xx3d

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »

If you do not have DVI to try and your television's hdmi has a problem, might I suggest using composite for the time begin. It will not be quite as crisp, etc. but it's still high def and since it's an analog signal, you won't have to worry about handshaking issues. Just a suggestion if you've no alternative.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »

^
*component

Just so there's no confusion. wink.gif

tvonderhaar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »

I orginally used the component cable until my HDMI cable came from Monoprice.  I do not have a DVI input so my only choices were the component or HDMI.  I was content using the component until I saw the difference that the HDMI made (that is after I found cycling power on the TV cleared up the green and occastional flicker).  Text and lines are FAR more crisp with HDMI.  I was hoping that the PS3 firmware 1.3 update was going to fix the issue since it was supposed to correct the 1080i/720p problem.  Didn't appear to make any difference at all.  

I have sent Olevia tech support a note along with the URL to this thread.  Maybe they have a fix up their sleeve.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(tvonderhaar @ Dec 10 2006, 06:52 PM) View Post
I orginally used the component cable until my HDMI cable came from Monoprice.  I do not have a DVI input so my only choices were the component or HDMI.  I was content using the component until I saw the difference that the HDMI made (that is after I found cycling power on the TV cleared up the green and occastional flicker).  Text and lines are FAR more crisp with HDMI.  I was hoping that the PS3 firmware 1.3 update was going to fix the issue since it was supposed to correct the 1080i/720p problem.  Didn't appear to make any difference at all.  

I have sent Olevia tech support a note along with the URL to this thread.  Maybe they have a fix up their sleeve.

Now I'm excited to get my brand-new-replacement-of-a-defective-unit display this week, I'll finally be able to try out digital video. pop.gif