xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ps3 Hdmi Connection Only?  (Read 704 times)

KaRiL

• Archived User
Ps3 Hdmi Connection Only?
« on: February 25, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

(I know this is the XBOX 360 forum but I figured since a lot of you are going to buy both you might be interested/have some answers, please move if you like)

Has anyone heard anything about this?
Blu Ray and HD-DVD drives are appearently going to require HDMI/DVI (digital) connections to maintain their copy protection. and if they are hooked up through component video (analog) will downgrade resolution to 480P Since the PS3 is supposed to have a blu ray drive it stands to reason that sony would have to abide by this as well. So does this mean that even if you have an HDTV, but don't have an HDMI input you wont be able to play PS3 games in HD??
that would really suck for all those people who went out and bought HDTV's for their 360's and now will have to go out and by another one when PS3 hits.

another thought is, most next gen games will have 5.1 surround sound but to take advantage of that you have to hook your system up to a surround sound reciever, currently there are only like 3 (may be mistaken) high end recievers that have HDMI inputs... so if your HDTV does not have HDMI you get surround sound, but at 480p, If your TV does have HDMI then you have to buy a new expensive reciever to take advantage of surround sound??? Am i right, or just trippin? if you can clarify please do.
thanks

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

I don't think even sony is dumb enough to have an HDMI only console for hd.

This post has been edited by Mjkthirdeye: Feb 25 2006, 10:04 PM

bonkers255

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »

The ps3 stuff is, at this point, all still speculation.  Playing HD movies from blu-ray media will require the hdmi connection.  However, I would imagine that it would be possible to play games over component cables.  The requirement for movies is due to piracy protection.  HD games do not have that same restriction, so while you should be able to play ps3 games over hdmi, I would have to think sony would be stupid not to support HD over component as well.

On the receiver note, you are not required to switch video through the receiver.  If your tv supports hdmi but your receiver doesn't, you can just run the hdmi to the tv and digital audio out to the receiver.  By not having hdmi on your tv, I think all you will lose is HD movies.  Your current surround sound receiver will be able to play 5.1 (or higher) audio (assuming it has at least one digital input).

For what it's worth, there are a number of recievers that are coming out that support hdmi (for at least 2 components) and are not what would be considered "high-end".  From a quick look, Yamaha has 3 newer receivers that support hdmi for under $1900 retail (with one at $1100).  These would not be considered amazing products by most audio/video-philes.  In fact, they would probably be considered on the lower end of average (although still very good products).  IMHO, if your receiver isn't near the $1000 mark, your setup isn't really to the point where the surround sound audio is of high quality (especially true for home theater in a box).  I don't mean that to bash any setups around here, I just want to say that a nicer receiver (as mentioned) is a very worth-while investment.

This post has been edited by bonkers255: Feb 25 2006, 10:06 PM

esc1

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »

Who cares?

This is XBOX-scene.  Not PLAYSTATION-scene.  rolleyes.gif

ChldsPlay

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »

$1900 for a receiver is definately high end in my book.  Anything over $500 really is high-end.  I've never paid more than $300 for one, and mine isn't too shabby.

bonkers255

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »

This will be my last comment so this thread isn't hi-jacked anymore.  I think it's hard to get any kind of advanced receiver for $500.  I don't remember what I paid for mine (probably around $700-800) but I am dying to upgrade as I consider mine entry-level.  For people on this board who are buying $3000+ tv's, $1100 isn't asking too much for a receiver.  I know many people are not spending this much, but it is hard to break into hi-fi audio with a receiver much less than ~$700 (again IMO).

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this will be moved to the Playstation3 Scene soon.  I can't see Sony having ONLY HDMI connections, that would stop ALOT of people from getting it, and I'm sure Sony doesn't want that.  If I recall correctly, I thought Sony said that the games would still be put onto DVD and only movies would be able to utilize the Blue Ray Drive.  

I was curious where you found the info that blue ray drives or HD-DVD drives would downconvert to 480p.

And as far as surround sound goes, I thought HDMI was purely a Video connection.  You can still run your optical cable, or rca jacks or whatever you want to use.

ChldsPlay

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »

HDMI is both.  

I'm not sure what advanced features I'd need to buy a receiver that cost $1,000 upwards.  If I was wealthy enough to have my own screening room, then yeah.  But with just a TV in my living room, I can't think of a reason that a solid unit from Best Buy/Circuit City/Ultimate Electronics for $300-$500 wouldn't be perfectly fine.  I wouldn't even consider Home Theaters in a box though.

bonkers255

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(esc1 @ Feb 25 2006, 05:56 PM) View Post

Who cares?

This is XBOX-scene.  Not PLAYSTATION-scene.  rolleyes.gif

Guess I forgot to respond to this.  It may get moved at some point, but with the announced HD-DVD addon for the 360, these questions may become valid for many 360 owners (unless M$ somehow finds away to send HD video content from an HD-DVD drive over an unsecure analog connection).

ChldsPlay is right, HDMI is both.  However, every electronic component that I know of that uses HDMI has additional digital audio output (optical or coax) so the video can be sent directly to a display and the audio can be processed by the receiver.

Also, about the 480p, I think movies on both large-storage media formats will have both HD video content as well as standard dvd content (480p) so depending upon the connection a different resolution will be displayed (I could very easily be wrong on this though).

PS - advanced features: hdmi switching, composite/s-video to component upconversion, analog to digital video conversion (less wires to tv), more than 2 or 3 digital audio inputs (these can easily be taken up by xbox, 360, cable/satellite box, dvd player, computer, etc), more power for higher quality speakers, more audio channels, more configuration settings (adjust receiver for speaker/room size, placement, etc.), extra audio zones, and the list goes on.  Most of these features will be severely deficient in receivers under $500.

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 05:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(ChldsPlay @ Feb 25 2006, 07:24 PM) View Post

I wouldn't even consider Home Theaters in a box though.

I'm Planning on getting that Bose 35 series II system here once my tax's come in.  I was curious why you said you wouldn't even consider a Home Teater in a box.  Basically that's what that bose system is, and before I blow 3 grand on a home theater system, I'd like to know any negative experiences people might of had.

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

This thread can stay here  dry.gif  cos it ain't JUST about PS3.... just saw this over at IGN

next-generation DVD technologies (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) will only function with monitors and HDTVs with HDMI or DVI connections.
(...)
Who's to blame for screwing some 3,000,000+ HDTV owners in America that were good consumers and early adopters who purchased TVs without HDMI? A group put together by the major movie studios called Advanced Access Content System (AACS).
(...)
Even if you've got an HDTV with HDMI or DVI inputs, it's unlikely your TV has more than one. Just about every HD source these days is best in HDMI, so what are you going to do when both your cable box and next-gen DVD player/PS3 need the same plug? HDMI switchers or enabled receivers are not cheap, or even easy to find. In addition, it would appear that every component involved in the transmission of an HD-DVD/Blu-ray signal must make use of Intel's HDCP technology

http://gear.ign.com/...1/691408p1.html

OMG i was gonna buy another HDTV next month  tongue.gif

with PS2 you  can't even play DVD using RBG Scart (you get green tint, not sure what it is, but it aint macrovision). anyways, game on the other hand will be fine without HDMI.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »

*SIGH*

Blue Ray is a disc format

that said it can carry any type of data.

HDCP protected output only applies to when the disc is used for High Definition Video.

Obviously if they threw audio data on there and nothing else (which IS something plan on doing with Blue Ray BTW) then HDCP wouldn't apply at all, much like it doesn't apply to games at all

Even still Blue Ray discs wont be used for PS3 games, just movies, Games will still be on DVD.

oh yeah and.. moving to PS3 scene sleeping.gif

ChldsPlay

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »

I'm Planning on getting that Bose 35 series II system here once my tax's come in. I was curious why you said you wouldn't even consider a Home Teater in a box. Basically that's what that bose system is, and before I blow 3 grand on a home theater system, I'd like to know any negative experiences people might of had.

Well, Bose is a different matter.  I'm talking those cheap systems that are like $150 for the dvd player/receiver, 5 cheap speakers and a cheap passive sub.  Bose is a nice solution for a lot of people.  I'd suggest my mom get one if she'd be willing to pay that much.  But, personally, as good as Bose has sounded when I've heard it in stores, I'd rather have a complete surround system, not one that simulates it with just the 2 speakers.  Unless Bose has full systems?

Jman232

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 11:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(KaRiL @ Feb 25 2006, 01:20 PM) View Post

(I know this is the XBOX 360 forum but I figured since a lot of you are going to buy both you might be interested/have some answers, please move if you like)

Has anyone heard anything about this?
Blu Ray and HD-DVD drives are appearently going to require HDMI/DVI (digital) connections to maintain their copy protection. and if they are hooked up through component video (analog) will downgrade resolution to 480P Since the PS3 is supposed to have a blu ray drive it stands to reason that sony would have to abide by this as well. So does this mean that even if you have an HDTV, but don't have an HDMI input you wont be able to play PS3 games in HD??
that would really suck for all those people who went out and bought HDTV's for their 360's and now will have to go out and by another one when PS3 hits.

First off, I get stunning 1080 interlaced resolution from my xbox 1 (enter matrix is 1080i supported), xbox 360 (Fight Night 3 has amazing resolution and details), and my motorola hdtv comcast cable box- all using component video hookups. Games like PGR 3 play in 720 progressive and are prettygood too. I get HD programming in 1080i (channels like INHD, PBS, and Discovery HD). DVDs are 720p or i on dual layer disks (the ones you rent at the video store right now). They will be viewable up to 1080i on the sony blue ray or the other type of High Def 30GB DVD. The PS2 is not High Def, the xbox 1 and 360 are. Sony does sell a component cable for it. PS2 sucks for that. I can't tell a difference between HD programming when the source is component vs. HDMI.
Now the difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI sends sound and DVI doesn't. DVI is standard on most high end computer monitors (check out apple's G5 with dual DVI outputs with their 30" monitors if you have about 10 or 12 grand or just want to look at the picture on the apple site). With TVs, cable boxes, DVD players, A/V switches and recievers, it just depends on what the particular manufacturer choses to produce and market.

QUOTE(KaRiL @ Feb 25 2006, 01:20 PM) View Post

another thought is, most next gen games will have 5.1 surround sound but to take advantage of that you have to hook your system up to a surround sound reciever, currently there are only like 3 (may be mistaken) high end recievers that have HDMI inputs... so if your HDTV does not have HDMI you get surround sound, but at 480p, If your TV does have HDMI then you have to buy a new expensive reciever to take advantage of surround sound??? Am i right, or just trippin? if you can clarify please do.
thanks

Now most current gen games have been in 5.1 for a long time now. With the xbox 1, you have the choice of either good video or good sound. They offer a s-video with optical sound outuput adapter, or a component cable with analog L/R RCA jacks. I chose the component cable to get high def out of the xbox1 (look @ the back of the game box to see what format the game supports). I could not find a HDMI cable for either my xbox1 or 360. Who cares. I have a reciever which supports pro logic and it decodes the surround sound for my xbox1. I can turn around in games like Big Red One and voices change from speaker to speaker depending on where the characters are positioned. Now I use optical cables for the 360 and ps2 (the only cool thing about the ps2 is that it's built in-everything else about it sucks). Now the 360 has one on the back of the cable that comes with the $400 pack. I use the digital coax (orange RCA cable) for my dvd players and they play as well as optical- at least I can't tell the difference. I imagine sony will send the system out with component (blue, red, green) and composite (yellow) with their next gen system.
I just bought a 6 port A/V switch with component, composite, S-video,analog RCA (sound) digital coax and optical sound-FOR ALL Six INPUTS, with a 3 port networking switch (for xbox live, kai, A/V streaming on XBMC, and ftp)for my modded xbox1 with 250Gigs, 360, PS2, DVD, Sony surround, and Sony 30" widescreen TV. Life is good in my living room. All in component cable. Use fiber or digital coax for your devices if you have that option- it sounds crisper than encoded analog. By the way- xbox1 kills playstation any day of the week- better games and in HD since 2001 (all the coolest PS2 games are offered on Xbox1)! Good luck with your system.
Someone please correct me if I have been misguided on any technical information I just spewed out.

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(ChldsPlay @ Feb 26 2006, 01:15 AM) View Post

But, personally, as good as Bose has sounded when I've heard it in stores, I'd rather have a complete surround system, not one that simulates it with just the 2 speakers.  Unless Bose has full systems?

Bose does have more than just the 2 speaker systems.  It's their lifestyle systems, and they come with the five speakers, and a sub.  Here's a link.

http://www.bose.com/...dvd_subcategory
Pages: [1] 2