xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Info On The New Sony PS3 Controller  (Read 288 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Info On The New Sony PS3 Controller
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 3-6-2008 22:36 EST

From playstationlifestyle.net:

It has been brought to my attention that PlayStation Underground held a secret focus group earlier this year. A small group of PS3 owners were sent to a facility in ****** ****, California to test a new PlayStation product in development.

Once inside the testing facility, these PS3 owners were shown a mini-tripod that stood about 12 inches high. and what looked like 4 black PS3 "wiimotes".  Well they were essentially "wiimotes" for the PS3, but didn't need a "nunchuck" attachment.  I will refer to them as "PS3motes" for now on.

You can have up to 4 of these "PS3motes" connected at one time. A demonstrator at this focus group was there showing off the "PS3motes" capabilities, along with some mini-games to play.  The mini games ranged from tennis, to fencing, to a "really really cool" paintball game.  The demonstrator even used the "PS3mote" to play "Quake" on his laptop.

The "PS3mote" is said to be incredibly responsive and accurate.  When the demonstrator crouched while playing the paintball game, the character on screen did as well.

The focus group was then given different designs of the "PS3mote" and were given the opportunity to choose which one felt most comfortable, and looked the best.  Then ended the focus group session.

Full Story: playstationlifestyle.net

warmaster_670

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »

sounds like MS and Sony are just covering there backs incase motion sensing really does take off, and if it doesnt, no loss to either of them.

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:05:00 PM »

exactly!

cabose369

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 07:56:00 PM »

Sony exec meeting:

"What ever Microsoft does we must do to match them..."
"Microsoft is designing one of their own wiimotes."
"Alright then, we must make one as well then.... we can't let them have ANY advantage over us."

Gamers wonder:

"What games am I going to use the ps3mote for??? MGS? Killzone? FFVII?... My PC apparently???"

Sony's Ps3mote: FAIL
M$ 360mote: FAIL

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »

Awesome news! new alternate unqiue controller, only a good thing, could care less who copies who, it only means a better product in the end

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 09:59:00 PM »

I'm excited about both MS and Sony looking into more motion sensing. I like how on GTA4 I can just cock my controller to reload. I don't know that I want a whole new controller though, as I think the SA can do more than has been taken advantage of.

anntong

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:30:00 AM »

exactly! jester.gif