xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Sony considering external PS3 hard drive?  (Read 338 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Sony considering external PS3 hard drive?
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 8-5-2008 0:27 EST

From eurogamer.net:

Speaking to Eurogamer, he hinted towards the possibility of introducing official external hard drives as he delivered his vision of consumer storage choice.

"We launched with 60GB and to reduce the price we went to 40GB. We're not sure we want to stay with that configuration of hard drive, and I think what you're going to see in the future is maybe consumers can choose," Reeves told Eurogamer.

"The PlayStation will stay the same, but consumers can choose whichever size of hard drive they want. They can now, or course, because it's not a proprietary hard drive."

"It might be that we will offer the possibility for people to have a bigger hard drive, but they have that option now. But it does not mean that we have anything in the works to introduce a different model or bigger hard drive built in," added Reeves.

Full Story: eurogamer.net

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:37:00 AM »

The whole article looks like it was written by a 10 year old.
 What is the point in any of it.
It might be that we will offer the possibility for people to have a bigger hard drive, but they have that option now.

Uhh!!
Sony don't need to be making comments on anything like this at all. The simple and obvious fact is the HDD is already very easily upgradeable. This is not some wow feature they may or may not add.It's already there.

Muzzakus

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 8 2008, 10:37 AM) *

The whole article looks like it was written by a 10 year old.
 What is the point in any of it.

Uhh!!
Sony don't need to be making comments on anything like this at all. The simple and obvious fact is the HDD is already very easily upgradeable. This is not some wow feature they may or may not add.It's already there.

Easy for you and me, not for the average man out there.  These are consumer products, not PC's.  Even PC's these days with off the shelf Dell's etc. people wouldn't even go down that path.  With PS3 the main user base out there would not ever entertain the idea of replacing the internal bits.

The 360 got it right with an external plug and play solution, where they got it wrong of course is not including the 20gig as part of the gimp pack standard.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(Muzzakus @ May 9 2008, 03:32 AM) View Post

Easy for you and me, not for the average man out there.  These are consumer products, not PC's.  Even PC's these days with off the shelf Dell's etc. people wouldn't even go down that path.  With PS3 the main user base out there would not ever entertain the idea of replacing the internal bits.

The 360 got it right with an external plug and play solution, where they got it wrong of course is not including the 20gig as part of the gimp pack standard.

You are showing a lack of knowledge here on this subject.
The procedure to upgrade the HDD on the PS3 does not involve stripping down the complete machine internals, it does not involve complicated procedures.In fact the drive can be changed and it does not void the warranty. If you can plug in your PS3 to the TV you can upgrade the hard drive. Clearly you don't have a PS3 as you previously stated, The HDD is under a flap and you only need a philips screwdriver to change it, it is accessed from outside the machine without need to dismantle at all,or perhaps you are exaggerating the procedure to make a point. The procedure has been made simple and indeed people are encouraged to swap the drive.
 People who buy a PS3 , be it for a BR player or games are also very unlikely to be your average idiot who knows absolutely nothing.
 As for your MS got it right. What including a mere 20GB HDD with the cost of replacing with another clip on one being a rip off. Course they did.
Edit
A link with pretty pictures
http://www.ukdynasty...ead.php?t=54431

Muzzakus

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 9 2008, 08:31 AM) *

You are showing a lack of knowledge here on this subject.
The procedure to upgrade the HDD on the PS3 does not involve stripping down the complete machine internals, it does not involve complicated procedures.In fact the drive can be changed and it does not void the warranty. If you can plug in your PS3 to the TV you can upgrade the hard drive. Clearly you don't have a PS3 as you previously stated, The HDD is under a flap and you only need a philips screwdriver to change it, it is accessed from outside the machine without need to dismantle at all,or perhaps you are exaggerating the procedure to make a point. The procedure has been made simple and indeed people are encouraged to swap the drive.
 People who buy a PS3 , be it for a BR player or games are also very unlikely to be your average idiot who knows absolutely nothing.
 As for your MS got it right. What including a mere 20GB HDD with the cost of replacing with another clip on one being a rip off. Course they did.
Edit
A link with pretty pictures
http://www.ukdynasty.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=54431

I assure you I have a PS3, I wouldn't be wasting my time on here otherwise.  And I do know the procedure of changing it's hard drive.  You are missing a key element here and give too much credit to the general consumer.  Most have not even see what a hard drive looks like, much less having the bravado to attempt fitting one - even if it is only 1 screw.  And game consoles are mass market products, not a geekfest.

The average PS3 guy cannot go to his local video game store, look at the peripherals shelf and buy a PS3 hard drive to plug into the machine.  The mindset is simply not there to go to lengths beyond than.  Sony understands this, why do you think they are suggesting a peripheral hard drive?

It's the same exact reason Live is full of chatty bastards.  Where I come from we don't get headsets as standard with the pack.  But that is eliviated by the fact you can buy an xbox branded one next to the controllers and battery packs, (and hard drives) etc.  The only effort involved is handing over the cash - which is what consumers do.

This post has been edited by Muzzakus: May 9 2008, 11:34 AM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Muzzakus @ May 9 2008, 11:31 AM) View Post

You are missing a key element here and give too much credit to the general consumer.  Most have not even see what a hard drive looks like, much less having the bravado to attempt fitting one - even if it is only 1 screw.  And game consoles are mass market products, not a geekfest.

I deal with the GP everyday, directly with white goods. what you are suggesting is that complete technically illiterate people would buy an expensive console and be able to work it, yet not undo a screw. This type of person will never need a HDD as they won't use the console or know how to configure it, or they would simply commandeer a 12 year old family member to do it for them.
QUOTE(Muzzakus @ May 9 2008, 11:31 AM) View Post

The average PS3 guy cannot go to his local video game store, look at the peripherals shelf and buy a PS3 hard drive to plug into the machine.  The mindset is simply not there to go to lengths beyond than.  Sony understands this, why do you think they are suggesting a peripheral hard drive?

They can simply pop into PC World and buy a widely available drive. If they are in the position of needing the space on HDD they will facilitate buying one very easily.
You have attempted to make changing a PS3 HDD sound like Brain Surgery. You have also tried to make the purchase of a widely available HDD and a philips screwdriver sound like trying to buy Rocking Horse Shit.
You have also universally categorised the GP that purchase multimedia consoles as being, Thicker Than a donkeys knob. None of which I believe or see day to day as the case. In fact the house I go in where they have consoles such as the PS3 or 360 are the ones that are the most savvy about this kind of equipment. They are not your average 86 year old granny who has been forced  by breakdown of her old TV to purchase a TV she can't work.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 10 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post

I deal with the GP everyday, directly with white goods. what you are suggesting is that complete technically illiterate people would buy an expensive console and be able to work it, yet not undo a screw. This type of person will never need a HDD as they won't use the console or know how to configure it, or they would simply commandeer a 12 year old family member to do it for them.

They can simply pop into PC World and buy a widely available drive. If they are in the position of needing the space on HDD they will facilitate buying one very easily.
You have attempted to make changing a PS3 HDD sound like Brain Surgery. You have also tried to make the purchase of a widely available HDD and a philips screwdriver sound like trying to buy Rocking Horse Shit.
You have also universally categorised the GP that purchase multimedia consoles as being, Thicker Than a donkeys knob. None of which I believe or see day to day as the case. In fact the house I go in where they have consoles such as the PS3 or 360 are the ones that are the most savvy about this kind of equipment. They are not your average 86 year old granny who has been forced  by breakdown of her old TV to purchase a TV she can't work.

Have you ever seen the movie Idocracy? If you haven't, I suggest you do so, as it's hilarious, and shows a future of the world, populated by the thickest idiots you could imagine (everyone's name is pretty funny, too, such as Frito Bendeho, President Kamacho's middle name is Mt. Dew, and then there's everything else, brought to you by Carl's Jr). Even still, I think they could be instructed with "you pull the old drive out, and put the new drive in". While there is a decline in general knowledge on many subject matters, there's still plenty of people who are raised with the encouragement to use their brains. Come to think of it, my mom is over 50 and has to call me to figure out how to plug in her computer, while my son isn't even 4 and can turn on my xbox, turn on my plasma tv, switch the channel to 'Component 2', and load Neo Genesis to play Sonic the Hedgehog. I could probably ask him to change the hdd on my PS3 without too much a problem laugh.gif