xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Playstation Eye QandA  (Read 115 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Playstation Eye QandA
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

Playstation Eye QandA
Posted by XanTium | 1-5-2007 11:19 EST

From newsweek.com:

To get the inside dope on the PS3's newest accessory, we conducted an interview with the always-affable Dr. Richard Marks, aka the Father of the EyeToy. Here's what he had to say.

* Q: What was the philosophy behind the PlayStation Eye? How did you and Sony decide on its feature set?
* A: This is the LONG version.... :)
The basic idea for Playstation Eye was to create a device for interactive gaming and enhanced communication. It was designed specifically to be used with PS3.
We learned a lot of things from our experience with EyeToy. The initial design meeting for what would become Playstation Eye was called by Phil Harrison. It included myself and key designers and engineers from the EyeToy game teams of SCEE [Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.] We sought to address some of the issues of EyeToy, but also add some new capabilities as well, keeping in mind all along the PS3 as the intended platform.
For designing the camera portion, there were many, many, agonizing trade-offs. Resolution vs. light sensitivity vs. framerate vs. dynamic range. There are also field of view and bandwidth and compression issues. To guide us through this, we created several usage scenarios and scored the importance of each design criteria for that scenario. For the final design, the interactive gameplay and communication scenarios were weighted as the most important for PS3.
As I mentioned already, our previous experience with EyeToy was invaluable. Low-light performance was viewed as a key issue. Also, we felt a big factor of EyeToy's success was the responsiveness imparted by its 60 frames per second framerate, so we made that a minimum requirement. The compression block artifacts of EyeToy are visually unappealing, and they also limit some of our algorithms, so we pushed for uncompressed video. And finally, the many game ideas put forth by the designers suggested the need for two different fields of view.

* Q: When should we expect a price announcement for Playstation Eye?
* A: I don't know exactly when the price announcement for Playstation Eye will be, but please note that the model used for the rough cost design was EyeToy.

Full Story: newsweek.com

spinr34

• Archived User
Playstation Eye QandA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »

i have a question. why does it look so damn ugly? also why are sony employees always referred to as: "the father of"? are there that many gullible kids out there that want/play sony's consoles that they need multiple father figures in their life?