xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xecuter PS3 HDXT and IDE to SATA Adapter Sample  (Read 199 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Xecuter PS3 HDXT and IDE to SATA Adapter Sample
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 21-4-2007 20:41 EST

We received a sample from MrModchips.co.uk of Xecuter's first products for the PlayStation3 ... the 'PS3 HDXT' (Hard Drive Xtender) and 'IDE to SATA Adapter'.

Official description:

The Xecuter PS3 HDXT is a caddy type frame that plugs into the PS3 internally where the 2.5" Sata drive would normally slot. You then clip on the matching faceplate and bingo you now have a clean external Sata connection. No frills and no fuss. You can now add any hard drive you wish and connect it any way you wish. We have also designed a simple but cost effective Sata to IDE convertor.

You will have to power your new HDD externally ... either with a 220/110V to molex/sata-power adapter or you can buy one of those external/cased SATA HDDs from companies like LaCie, Seagate and others. Also note that once your PS3 is connected with an external drive you can no longer put your console vertically as the adapter is on the bottom.
The 'IDE to SATA Adapter' (sold separately) allows you to easily connect any IDE HDD with your PS3.

Video of the PS3 HDXT in action ... with a normal PC (cheap) 3.5" Seagate 500GB SATA drive ... powered with a 220V-molex/sata adapter.

Download higher resolution xvid video here

The packaging of the 'PS3 HDXT' and 'IDE to SATA Adapter'

The complete package!
The 'PS3 HDXT' comes with the caddy adapter and a front plate with hole for the external SATA connector.
The 'IDE to SATA Adapter' comes with the converter PCB to translate IDE into SATA and a cable to power this PCB from a molex power.

More Close-Up Pictures:
* Front PCB IDE to SATA Adapter: low-res | high-res
* Back PCB IDE to SATA Adapter: low-res | high-res
* PS3 HDXT caddy adapter: low-res | high-res

To install the PS3 HDXT, remove the original HDD and plug-in the PS3 HDXT caddy adapter, put the screw back and then click-in the special front plate you get with the package:

PS3 HDXT installed with a Seagte 500GB SATA drive:

Buy Now: MrModchips.co.uk[19eur, 38eur with IDE-SATA] | consoleshop[HDXT $20] | consoleshop[IDE-SATA $20]
Official Website: www.team-xecuter.com

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:46:00 AM »

Nice, but the movie player aint working, thank god you provided a download link this time.

darklocust

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »

sweeet!... do I hear muse as the background music?

mungie3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »

That's awesome!
It should finally cause some turbulence in the ps3 modding scene.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »

Meh, not to impresive to me. Kind of bulky and ugly, plus large capacity laptop drives are coming out soon. Does serve a purpose now though but still not that great to me.

xb-mutant

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »

absolutley no disrespect to the xecuter team.... but yeah it kinda looks like ass. oh well. it doesnt matter for anyone that would use it its there so thnks to executer on theyre behalf. keep the goodies rolling! hehe

Casper1786

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »

I would much rather have seen an eSata port and not a standard Sata port, same shit different shape i beleave, just because External Sata Drive bays usually come with an eSata Cable, so i think that'd just be easier... my opinion i guess, but so long as you have a nice looking external Carrier it wont be that bad, just no standing the machine anymore then...

supergrafx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »

I picked up a barely used 200gb toshiba sata laptop hd for a pricey $180, which included shipping on ebay, to avoid this atrocity. 300gb are about to roll out, if they haven't already for about the same price, I'm thinking probably $250...... My system still towers like a building on Coruscant.  TEAM Xecuted?

Technitian3

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Estuche

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »

LOL, mind posting a tutorial for that cheap solution??

OddyOh

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »

Sorry to dredge up an old thread here, but I'd like to know how I would power my hard drive once I have it hooked up to the PS3 using this thing.

The pictures show the power cable going into some sort of AC/DC adapter with a molex connector on it, is that something you can easily find at a parts store or something?  I've only seen them packaged with USB to IDE/SATA adapters, is that the only way to get one?  Any links would be helpful.

Thanks for any info.

ccfman2004

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(Estuche @ Apr 29 2007, 02:40 AM) View Post

LOL, mind posting a tutorial for that cheap solution??

He took the talismoon Sata minispy and slightly modified it.