xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Sixaxis Crisis  (Read 316 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« on: October 18, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(tape99 @ Oct 18 2006, 05:01 PM) View Post

The controller, while using Bluetooth and therefore being wireless, needs to be connected once to the machine by USB cable prior to use so that the machine can detect the cable (pairing process). This process will be necessary every time the console is powered off then on

While this is technically correct it is very misleading.

Essentially the controllers will become disassociated if either the console or the controller loose 100% of their power. So as long as the console is plugged in and in "standby" mode it will not become disconnected from the controller.

Similarly the controller's internal battery will have to become COMPLETELY dead before it will loose association, which will probably happen on occasion but probably not if the console gets used often.

Personally I think the biggest "crisis" with the controller is the fact that the batteries are built in. While it's fantastic for the first 6 months or so because you get the rechargeable battery for free once the battery starts to hold it's charger for shorter and shorter periods of time you probably will want to replace it... but alas you'll have no choice but to buy a whole new controller.

Similarly when the charge is low you'll be FORCED to plug in the controller if you want to keep playing. I use rechargeable AAs for both my GC Wavebirds and my Xbox 360 controllers. When the battery is low I pop out the dead ones, put them in the charger and pop in some fresh ones that are already charged from the last time (I have an extra set and rotate the batteries through). That way I never have to deal with wires EVER.

incognegro

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:57:00 AM »

yea the battery thing is very anoying and also quite disappointing.......knowing sony, this is not like them.

grim_d

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Oct 19 2006, 12:04 PM) View Post

yea the battery thing is very anoying and also quite disappointing.......knowing sony, this is not like them.

acctually, it's exactly like sony. FORCING you to buy things you shouldnt have to smile.gif

well if the batteries are anything like the ones in their phones then you will probably see a degrade in charge within a year.

On the surface an internal battery is a cool idea, but really its daft. I keep a few sets of rechargables too and rotate them, thus i can keep my controller for EVER

laugh.gif

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

IMHO this is just another mistake on Sony's part.

When I get a PS3 ( might be a long time ) I will just make some kind of mod that will allow me to easily swap the battery out and I will make a charger. That way I will always have a spare and I will not have to deal with wires. By they time I get a PS3 I am willing to bet somebody will have already done this.

I just wish Sony would have done the same thing as M$ and Nintendo did with using two AA batteries.

m_hael

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(calderra @ Oct 19 2006, 04:06 PM) View Post

WHAT.
THE.
FU**!?!?!?
 ohmy.gif

If true, holy crap that's bad news! And yes, it IS like them. Think cramming BluRay down your throat. Or a $600 system. Or...

And wow. That's just... Wow.
Pair that with other recent announcements. Exploding batteries, Resistance is only going to do 720p...

come on.. Resistance was only EVER going to be 720p.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Oct 19 2006, 07:15 PM) View Post

come on.. Resistance was only EVER going to be 720p.

beerchug.gif

incognegro

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 03:42:00 AM »

the "not like them" remark was sarcasm dry.gif

im just getting really lazy with my typing nowadays...I use the windows on-screen keyboard for Christ's  sake.

silentbob343

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »

A report on GamesRadar.com observed that the pads do not feature removable battery packs, arguing this would render them "effectively useless" as wireless controllers after a certain number of charges.

But a Sony spokesperson told GI.biz, "This is a purely speculative story and is largely untrue. The latest generation of Lithium Polymer batteries hardly suffer any memory effect at all, so it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance."

The spokesperson went on to confirm, "When and if this happens, then of course we will be providing a service to exchange these items."

Only time we'll tell, but it's good to see them looking at the resposnes to the internal battery issue.  I will say that how well li-poly batteries last has to do with the quailty of the cells as well as the method of charging them.  I used to be in to RC cars and correctly charging the battery was key to longevity.

yourM0M

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 07:11:00 AM »

were the laptop batteries from $ony li-poly?? acutually who cares they were $ony batteries in the first place  biggrin.gif

and the whole "replacement" program they mentioned to gi.biz....meh you mean pay us 29.99 +shp and we will send you a refurbished controller that will last an even shorter lifetime  laugh.gif

we just need a mod in the future to repair/replace them ourselves

silentbob343

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(yourM0M @ Oct 21 2006, 09:18 AM) View Post

were the laptop batteries from $ony li-poly?? acutually who cares they were $ony batteries in the first place  biggrin.gif

and the whole "replacement" program they mentioned to gi.biz....meh you mean pay us 29.99 +shp and we will send you a refurbished controller that will last an even shorter lifetime  laugh.gif

we just need a mod in the future to repair/replace them ourselves

Is it really going to cost 29.99?  I'm hoping Sony's program will make it more inline with the cost of a 360 battery pack, $11.99.  Sony should have made it "user replaceable", but I don't suppose that will change now.  Though I'm sure we'll see other option, i.e. battery replacements for ipods being sold on-line.  Hopefully we can get some more info on this exchange program.  Will they send you a new controller before you have to send in the old one?  I know many hardware manufacturers run their RMA program like that.

thax

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

Everyone knows that just like the ipod there will be tutorials on replacing the battery yourself. Since the controller is so light it would be cool to add in some huge batteries to give 90 hours of play time. Actually probably the best idea would be to gut a x360 controller and use that as a PS3 controller.

silentbob343

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(thax @ Oct 22 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

Everyone knows that just like the ipod there will be tutorials on replacing the battery yourself. Since the controller is so light it would be cool to add in some huge batteries to give 90 hours of play time. Actually probably the best idea would be to gut a x360 controller and use that as a PS3 controller.

I didn't post that point as I knew tons of people would still say "that's not the point the fact is......."

incognegro

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 06:30:00 AM »

so if sony are supplying the batteries are the controllers gonna explode or what?tongue.gif

Seriously, sony gave me alot of extra work at my job. I had to scour (sp?) both buildings searching for laptops with bad batteries! tongue.gif

Oh well....

Serious Sam

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 12:50:00 AM »

The sixaxis needs a redesign. Having a disposable controller is totally unacceptable sad.gif

IcBlUsCrN

• Archived User
Sixaxis Crisis
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 19 2006, 01:50 AM) View Post

While this is technically correct it is very misleading.

Essentially the controllers will become disassociated if either the console or the controller loose 100% of their power. So as long as the console is plugged in and in "standby" mode it will not become disconnected from the controller.

Similarly the controller's internal battery will have to become COMPLETELY dead before it will loose association, which will probably happen on occasion but probably not if the console gets used often.

Personally I think the biggest "crisis" with the controller is the fact that the batteries are built in. While it's fantastic for the first 6 months or so because you get the rechargeable battery for free once the battery starts to hold it's charger for shorter and shorter periods of time you probably will want to replace it... but alas you'll have no choice but to buy a whole new controller.

I wondering if they fixed part of it or i am reading wrong , I have been moving my console alot eg: unpluging for prolonged periods, and they seem to be sync I dont use the usb cable. so did the control keep the sync data?
and i am not sure , since if you have mulitple controlors you do need the usb to sync, <thats the part that totally blows, alot of people say its not a big deal, but i think it is i just figured this out this weekend.
Another win for the 360 in my book.