xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ps3's Controller Sucks  (Read 573 times)

Boydster

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »

Eh, never cared for the PS2 controller, and now I know I'll care even less for the PS3's. Light weight POS, still not engineered for shooters.

Way to fuck up Sony. Besides lack of interest in games, the controller was the biggest reason I disliked the PS2.

http://ps3.ign.com/a...8/738858p1.html

EDIT: Oh, just have to mention IGN actually complemented the 360's controller. I never thought I'd hear such from those biased editors' mouths.

DragoNs

• Recovered User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Boydster @ Oct 13 2006, 07:00 PM) View Post

Eh, never cared for the PS2 controller, and now I know I'll care even less for the PS3's. Light weight POS, still not engineered for shooters.

Way to fuck up Sony. Besides lack of interest in games, the controller was the biggest reason I disliked the PS2.

http://ps3.ign.com/a...8/738858p1.html

EDIT: Oh, just have to mention IGN actually complemented the 360's controller. I never thought I'd hear such from those biased editors' mouths.

I personally think the PS2 controller was the best controller for all the current gen systems. lol and for the biggest reason you hated the ps2 was the controller? surprized you like the 360 one, it has resemblance

silentbob343

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Oct 13 2006, 10:36 PM) View Post

meh.  Give me mouse and keyboard. sleep.gif

Yeah I have to say all gamepads suck when it comes to FPS.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Oct 13 2006, 09:10 PM) View Post

I personally think the PS2 controller was the best controller for all the current gen systems. lol and for the biggest reason you hated the ps2 was the controller? surprized you like the 360 one, it has resemblance

it has nothing to do with resemblance and everything to do with how it fits in your hands.

the PS2 (and all PS controllers for that matter) were obviously made to be looked at first and held second.

-Hard edges that make up the shape of the controller would dig into your hands on extended play sessions
-the d-pad chews up your thumb if you play any hardcore 2D fighters.
-the L/R2 buttons sloped down far enough that if you tucked your middle fingers under your hand would cramp up from lack of space and if you put it on top your pinky and ring fingers would cramp up from having to hold a tighter grip in order to keep the controller in your hands
-The analog sticks were too far towards the center, it was somewhat acceptable with the PS1 dual-sock because they had no where else on the controller to put it but it was an absolute atrocity that they never bothered to actually design the thing ergonomically correct.  They're so far in the center that I can't actually get a full rotation of the sticks using just my thumbs, I actually have to loosen my grip towards my fingertips and move my whole hand if I want to push toward the center. Also this location screws with your perception of direction your fingers natural movements for "up" and "down" at that level of extension end up being "up-left" and "down right" for the Left stick...
-The D-pad is still in the prominent position despite the fact that it's not the prominent directional input (further exemplifying that visual symmetry is more important to Sony designers then actual function).

I could go on... the PS controller was a mis-sharpen SNES controller with extra shoulder buttons (basically they wanted the SNES controller but had to make it different enough to avoid copywrite infringment). When Nintendo and Sega announced the inclusion of an analog stick and a rumble motor Sony jumped on board by simply shoving analog sticks on the controller wherever they'd fit... and in typical Sony "anything you can do I can do better" fashion they put 2 sticks and 2 motors instead of one (or perhaps they did it to keep with the controller's symmetrical design, take your pick).

This is not how you make a worth while product, playing "me-too" games and shoving important features wherever you have space left would earn you a Failing grade at any industrial design school worth the paper their degrees are printed on.

I've found that most people who "like" the PS controller design are just people who have been using it for so long that their hands have adapted to it instead of Sony adapting to human hands.

Find someone who doesn't play video games, hand them both a 360 controller and a PS2 controller and ask them which one they prefer, you'd be hard-pressed to find a substantial group of people who pick the PS2 controller. There's a reason the 360 controller has won awards and the stagnant PS controller design hasn't won jack since it's inception in 1995.

At a glance yes the PS2 controller is remarkably similar to the Xbox controller, but it's the subtle differences that separate a good controller design from a bad one.

Pheidias

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 02:33:00 AM »

Acctually the ps1 dualshock is the first controller I ever played with that didn't hurt me in anyway. The snes had its horrible shoulder buttons, the nes it's form, and the n64 and the xbox has its horrible shoulder buttons that are used in almost every game. Wich prevents me from playing any racer for more then 45 minutes cos my trigger finger will cramp up.  THe original xbox controller took some awards too  biggrin.gif  but for entirely different awards, say like worst controller ever. And while the xbox controller works very very well for certain games it very very bad for others the d-pad on the S is not worth mentioning. haven't used the d-pad enough on the 360 so can't say if it suck too.

Did sony steal the analog buttons from someone, or did they acctaully come up with that themself.

I want the bumerang 6axis..

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »

to say that the ps2/3 controller is the same as the 360 controller is just plain ignorance.

i cant play with the ps2 controller for more then 15-20 minutes before my hands cramp up (no joke) and to be honest i feared the same with the 360 controller when i read it was around the same size as the S-controller.  i couldnt stand the S-controller, have played with the "duke" controller in all my xbox gaming years.  however the thicker more arganic feel of the 360 controller surprised me, it has been one of the greatest controllers i have ever had the joy of playing.

i never thought about it before reading twisted's post but its all true.  originally i thought that the ps2 controller was designed with the japanese small hands in mind (which may be true) but everything sucks about it.  just yesterday i walked into my bro's room to him playing VF4, i asked to play the next match (i dont know why  huh.gif ), reminding me how awful the D-pad is.  never played a FPS on a ps console because they all sucked compared to their xbox counterpart but i can see how the analog placement sucks.  

just because microsoft included two bumpers does not mean that its the same as the ps2 controller.  sure the D-pad on the 360 controller has it's flaws as well, but at least it doesnt kill my thumb.  the analog triggers are great and im happy that they took a lesson from the DC controller, and the controller is great for both FPS and action games.

DragoNs

• Recovered User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Oct 14 2006, 09:36 AM) View Post

to say that the ps2/3 controller is the same as the 360 controller is just plain ignorance.

i cant play with the ps2 controller for more then 15-20 minutes before my hands cramp up (no joke) and to be honest i feared the same with the 360 controller when i read it was around the same size as the S-controller.  i couldnt stand the S-controller, have played with the "duke" controller in all my xbox gaming years.  however the thicker more arganic feel of the 360 controller surprised me, it has been one of the greatest controllers i have ever had the joy of playing.

i never thought about it before reading twisted's post but its all true.  originally i thought that the ps2 controller was designed with the japanese small hands in mind (which may be true) but everything sucks about it.  just yesterday i walked into my bro's room to him playing VF4, i asked to play the next match (i dont know why  huh.gif ), reminding me how awful the D-pad is.  never played a FPS on a ps console because they all sucked compared to their xbox counterpart but i can see how the analog placement sucks.  

just because microsoft included two bumpers does not mean that its the same as the ps2 controller.  sure the D-pad on the 360 controller has it's flaws as well, but at least it doesnt kill my thumb.  the analog triggers are great and im happy that they took a lesson from the DC controller, and the controller is great for both FPS and action games.

the PS controllers and the 360 controller do have resemblance tho, so say its ignorance or not, as for the ps controllers ive been able to play games on them for hours and never have my hands cramp up, and you said its designed for small handed ppl, my hands are big, alot bigger then most people so dont say its for ppl with smaller hands, as for the d-pad, i hardly use it on ps2 as most games on ps2 have the analog stick as default. Oh and you can kinda see that the 360 controller also resembles the Logitech wireless xbox controller, which i own  instead of those crappy S controllers, idk maybe i just like the controller better because of the style, Ive only owned, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS, PS2, Xbox and 360, oh and i had a dreamcast for a little before i sold it, had the worst controllers ive ever used, kinda reminds me of the large xbox controllers where are garbage too.. i noticed when i played 360 for like 7+ hours with Enchanted arms, your hands start to get pretty sore, if i ever play PS2 for Any period of time (played 12 hours once) for an RPG, my hands never get sore, the 360 seems to be good if your always moving your hands like DoA4 but idk, this is imo, and your probably going to have a huge fit over this post and write something 10 pages long on how im wrong and your right, cause thats just how you are kage360, so post away.

Deftech

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »

The 360 controller is the 1st smaller controller I can stand(despised the S), and not only can I stand it, its the best one thats ever been held by these hands  smile.gif

Worst:(all terrible so an order doesnt matter)
All sony controllers
GC and N64 controllers
S controller
Atari Jaguar(lol)

Best:(In order)
Duke
Dreamcast
Saturn Nights pad

Everyones opinion of controllers will be different.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

^agreed except the dreamcast...

gc's controller was terrible... dunno what sort of retarded midget that was designed for...

Pheidias

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »

I never got into the DC but that hilarious small B/W mini addon tamaguchi thing was cool. And yea everyone will differ on controllers. And I also think what kind of games you play matters alot, playing a turnbased rpg(d-pad + one button) vs a fps (analogsticks plus triggers).

Deftech

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »

Oh my word. I just looked up a pic of the Saturn Nights pad I loved. That thing does NOT look like it would be comfy AT ALL, but damn it felt good n my hands(to me).

I cannot believe its been a decade since the game was released.  blink.gif

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

Dreamcast controller > 360 Controller > XBOX Controller S > N64 Controller > Dual Shock controller

I dont know wether my hands have become adjusted to the Dreamcast/XBOX controller form factor but whenever i try to play with the PS2 controller i get hand cramps...Its REALLY small, REALLY cramped, and for crying out loud, the main analogue stick should be at the TOP part of the controller so that you dont have to keep your thumb permanently flexed to play!

gasclown

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »

I love the controller S, and 360 controller is possibly the best controller ever - even the major local newspaper agrees. also the standard gc controller felt very natural in hand too.

on topic, i agree the ps2 (and by extension the ps3) controller does suck. I live in the sub-tropics and its impossible to keep your thumbs on analogues during the warmer half of the year and we only have two seasons where im from...  Precision is impossible. all my mates agree.  we all loved the xbox1/360 controllers simply because your thumbs dont slip off while playing.

grim_d

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(NicoBech @ Oct 14 2006, 10:00 PM) View Post

this is way way off topic.. and then again not....

not long now till winter-een-mas beerchug.gif

incognegro

• Archived User
Ps3's Controller Sucks
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

Anybody who says they prefer the dual shock over the xbox controller are ppl that dont play shooters or any game that needs precision in shooting and moving.  With that being said the 360 controller is the most versatile controller of the three, thats one thing you cannot take away. The PS controller's convex analog sticks and the too-close-for-comfort stick placement has crippled it in that the department. Plus if have big hands then stay away from the ps controllers. Talking from experience.

I remember when they had the original analog controller for ps1 (not dual shock), now that was a good controller. It was bigger and had concave sticks. Felt great! Ofcourse there werent alot shooters that used it but I used to sit with my system off and just hold it cause it felt so great.

I liked the DC controller but i do feel the design was bit flawed. Cord at the bottom is a big no-no in my book. The d-pad was weak and the stick was not concave and barely had any grip. Pissed me off sometimes in quake. Plus it was huge! A little too big than it needed to be IMO.

Nintendo now....They make the most innovative controllers but one that is consistent with most of them is that the quality is horrid and they lacked versatility! The n64 controller was great....for nintendo games! They werent the most versatile things in the world and the analog stick, though better than the DC ones, broke after a few hours. The gamecube controller is worse than that in the durability department! Judging by what I've seen of the inside of the wiimote and nunchuck, this trend seems to be continuing.
Pages: [1] 2 3