xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Controllers  (Read 286 times)

yourM0M

• Archived User
Controllers
« on: July 26, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

as far as the topic goes sure deff would be nice to just use a 360 controller on any console, and thats why m$ made it available for the pc.....but for your post i still dont believe linux will be on the ps3 just my 2 cents

h4xx3d

• Archived User
Controllers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »

And what makes you think that? There was a linux kit available for the PS2. Supporting linux should be a no-brainer for Sony. First of all, it's free, and secondly it's the major operating system oposing their competitors in the computer business. So why not? I'd imagine they'd have it configured to be quite user friendly if it were pre-installed, but as is the nature of linux, the more experienced users would be given the tools to enjoy themselves. The productivity of the xbox-scene community is proof of the power of homebrew. An intelligent developer would embrace it.

Reaper527

• Archived User
Controllers
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(h4xx3d @ Jul 25 2006, 10:02 PM) View Post

For instance, I love the 360 controller much, much more than the dualshock. I don't think that's going to be changing with the recent upgrade to Sony's controller either. So, if they did provide us with the ability to load some extra modules when the system boots, I would be able to enjoy my PS3 with a 360 controller. What are your thoughts on the subject?

that won't be possible. ps3 controllers == bluetooth, 360 controllers == not bluetooth (i heard some custom wireless USB method). also, i don't know i'm willing to belive every ps3 will ship with a usable version of linux, sony has a tendency towards backing off from its announcements, and even if it does ship with it, it will probably be crippled like you said.

The productivity of the xbox-scene community is proof of the power of homebrew. An intelligent developer would embrace it.

and the psp scene shows that sony is trying to fight that instead of embracing it. it just has a strong enough scene that sony can't put an end to it.

MrBones

• Archived User
Controllers
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jul 28 2006, 03:22 PM) View Post

that won't be possible. ps3 controllers == bluetooth, 360 controllers == not bluetooth (i heard some custom wireless USB method).

That's not to say that you couldn't use a wired 360 controller.  Linux would see it as a game controller, and assuming the entire system runs off the kernel, then I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to remap the buttons, since they're essentially the same this gen on both controllers.

yourM0M

• Archived User
Controllers
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »

you wouldnt need a wired controller either.....later this fall m$ already said they are releasing a usb wireless reciever for any pc that will work with all the 360 periphreials (sp)