xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just 4 Leds On The Ps3 Controller  (Read 528 times)

Digital_sin

• Archived User
Just 4 Leds On The Ps3 Controller
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »

hey guys,

i've been reading this all over the place now, just because there are only 4 leds on the controller doesn't mean it will only support 4 controllers! actually, these 4 leds can be used for more than eight controllers!

i used to have a sony memory card for the PSOne that was like 8 memory cards in one. you used a button to switch between memory cards, and you had only 4 leds on the memory card to display which one you're currently using. how this works is that when you are using memory cards number 1 to 4 all the other leds will be OFF, and only one will be ON (which will display the memory card number). and while using memory cards 5 to 8, all leds will be ON except the one that displays the controller number will be off. i bet that this how this controller works too (its stupid i know but it works).

sony did not officially announce that the ps3 will only support 4 controllers, i didn't read that anywhere, everytime i read this i find out its because of that god damn pic.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »

Ok ken, whatever you say.......lol sleep.gif

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

didnt they claim 7 players per box last year? pretty random fucking number... regardless the ps3 will only support 4 controllers...

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ May 22 2006, 06:39 PM) View Post

didnt they claim 7 players per box last year? pretty random fucking number... regardless the ps3 will only support 4 controllers...

Yeah they did.
Who would want to play with... 7 controllers?  How do you split up a screen... 7 ways?  Even a big-screen makes it difficult to play when split up 7 times.

Xeriak

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ May 23 2006, 02:05 AM) *

Yeah they did.
Who would want to play with... 7 controllers?  How do you split up a screen... 7 ways?  Even a big-screen makes it difficult to play when split up 7 times.

Exactly.. 7 is an odd number, therefor a very odd choice.. and just downright bizzare.. So I think Sony came to their senses and decided to go back to good ol' 4 player split-screen action XD.

The 4 LED's are most likely setup and used for controller position identification. Just like the Xbox 360's 4 LED quadrants, so you know which is Player 1, and which is Player 2 and so forth.

Kapisch??

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ May 23 2006, 01:39 AM) View Post

It isn't random. That's a limitation of Bluetooth. It can only support 7 slave devices in addition to the master i.e. the PS3 itself. It doesn't seem likely that there'd be a 7 player game anyway, but the other "controllers" could be peripherals such as Bluetooth-enabled keyboards or Eyetoys.

Xeriak

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kamasutra318 @ May 23 2006, 02:29 AM) View Post

It isn't random. That's a limitation of Bluetooth. It can only support 7 slave devices in addition to the master i.e. the PS3 itself. It doesn't seem likely that there'd be a 7 player game anyway, but the other "controllers" could be peripherals such as Bluetooth-enabled keyboards or Eyetoys.

That'd make more sense.. so you could then have 3 other wireless bluetooth enabled devices working/running in background while only 4 P$3 controllers would ever be used at max(unless some company does decide to be silly and release a 7 player game.. tho I can't imagine it, Its just.. the 4 LED's indicate to me that 4 P$3 controllers is law.. period).

Calel

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 07:14:00 AM »

I always assumed it would be 7 bluetooth devices but what still concerns me is headsets. 4 controllers 4 headsets. Does this mean that they wont be bluetooth (cause that sux). or are they gonna plug into the controller (equally sucky). I hope that each controller is also a bluetooth radio, so it can actually host connections, and relay audio from a headset to the console. But that would probably slay the battery life, and jack up the controller cost.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(Calel @ May 23 2006, 08:45 AM) View Post

I always assumed it would be 7 bluetooth devices but what still concerns me is headsets. 4 controllers 4 headsets. Does this mean that they wont be bluetooth (cause that sux). or are they gonna plug into the controller (equally sucky). I hope that each controller is also a bluetooth radio, so it can actually host connections, and relay audio from a headset to the console. But that would probably slay the battery life, and jack up the controller cost.

No headsets will still be bluetooth, what it means is if you're playing 4 player only 3 of them will be able to use headsets.

Considering most next gen 360 games rarely support more then 2 players I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 followed suit. Online gaming has caused developer to significantly short-change the local multiplayer experience (which IMO is more important).

You'd be lucky to see 4 player games, I can almost guarantee 7 players will be a novelty feature on two or three games tops.... that is if we see the feature at all.

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »

Where does everyone keep getting this information that the PS3 will only have 4 controllers?  I thought at the speech by sony, they said that they were still going to support 7 wireless controllers.  Here's an section of the speech concerning that:

5:08pm: Now PS3 stuff ...