xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Controller Lacks Rumble Due To Legal Reasons  (Read 266 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Ps3 Controller Lacks Rumble Due To Legal Reasons
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »

[Sony] announced in a press release that the PS3 controller would lack vibration due to the possibility of it interfering with the controller’s new tilt sensors, which Viegas feels is unlikely.

“If what they’re saying is in fact the reason why [the controller will not have vibration], I’ve offered them numerous solutions to the problem,” Viegas said in an interview Tuesday. “I don’t believe it’s a very difficult problem to solve, and Immersion has experts that would be happy to solve that problem for them.”

The full article here: http://www.gamasutra...murdey_01.shtml

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 19 2006, 11:29 AM) View Post

from Gamasutra

Gamasutra Interviews Immersion Technologies' Victor Viegas about the PS3's lack of a rumble feature, how it could work with their motion sensing mechanism and the lawsuit ofer the tech used in the PS2.
The full article here: http://www.gamasutra...murdey_01.shtml

Aww sony, were you lying again? I thought we spoke about this? well as punsihment you get no sales from me tongue.gif !

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »

yeah i saw this a few days ago.  its obvious that Immersion isnt afraid to express what they think of sony.  

only shows what too much pride can do to a company

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ May 19 2006, 06:33 AM) View Post

Aww sony, were you lying again? I thought we spoke about this? well as punsihment you get no sales from me tongue.gif !

this man is on a roll  laugh.gif

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xeriak @ May 23 2006, 01:31 AM) View Post

I need my rumble feature!! I need rumble when I play FPS games especially..
Fawk the whole tilt function crap.. I can't imagine accurately racing in the next Gran Turismo game by simply tilting the controller.. What if someone has Parkinson's Disease and shakes too much?? Well there goes your car or Aircraft or whatever.. crash!!!

I just think this tilt function is simply one of the most un-needed features and isn't anything revolutionary either.. I'd say Sony sucks at copying Nintendo. If they honestly think that this tilt feature with no rumble will be truly innovative.. then I'll be a...

I'm pretty sure the gyroscopic controlling will only be optional for most games. I knew it was for legal reasons that the rumble was absent, even though Sony said otherwise, since I'd read about the Immersion case against them and MS a while ago. If you understand this then you know that the rumble wouldn't be there regardless of the accelerometer and gyroscopic sensor.

It wouldn't be accurate to say that Sony copied Nintendo either since you're right about it not being revolutionary or innovative, but it's a step in the right direction for both of them in my opinion. Also, Nintendo uses an external sensor to measure additional movement. If anything, they both copied MS since MS and Logitech created the first consumer gyroscopic controllers back in 1999.