xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How Long Till A Successful Flash Hack/modchip?  (Read 1084 times)

Zapin

• Archived User
How Long Till A Successful Flash Hack/modchip?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 11:46:00 PM »

Already the PS3 is as hacked as the 360 is.  The file systems of the disks can be dumped and examined which is about as far as I have heard about the 360 being hacked.  The ability to play backups on the 360 is useless for the most part outside of maybe helping to eventually unlock the box in the future.  The costs of blueray have little or nothing to do the incentive to hack the PS3 since all the really exciting potential will need only hard drive and network access to amaze.... provided it can run real homebrew (full GPU access etc).

conchimdada

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »

wouldn't it be just the same price to buy the games than buy multiple 2.5" hard drives to put the games on?

sp1200

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 02:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(conchimdada @ Nov 27 2006, 06:56 AM) View Post

wouldn't it be just the same price to buy the games than buy multiple 2.5" hard drives to put the games on?

Not really. A 300 gig drive is under $200 bucks. That is what, 4 games on Bluray? You will be able to store way more than 4 games on that drive. Especially if dummy data is removed.

BTW, a few sites are reporting that games are being booted off HDD... Dec. 10th will be an interesting day.

uberfrost

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »

yepp december 10 is defenitely an interesting day! will just wait and see what will happens..  rolleyes.gif

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »

Ive also heard from a few sites and different people about booting games off the HDD. I still rekon this will be like the Devil360 thing. Nothing will come of it on the 10th.

Lets hope im wrong.

kjmc

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »

Just started looking up the PS3, haven't read anything about Dec 10th.  I still kinda think that the Devil 360 announcement was a sort of viral marketing campaign to get people in the stores to buy the console in the hopes there is a chip/hack.  Their game lineup is unimpressive at the moment so I am unwilling to jump on it even if it can be chipped by Dec 10th.

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(Zapin @ Nov 26 2006, 07:46 AM) View Post
provided it can run real homebrew (full GPU access etc).

Do we really NEED the GPU?
I know that's important eventually, but software emulation will (albeit slowly) make most advanced features possible.
And you don't technically have to "unlock" the GPU to access it- if downloaded programs can be made to run, it might be possible to bypass the protection since the programs will look official to the system. And then theoretically, you could encode other programs with that info to do the same trick.

Also- the PS3 is far more hacked internally. Xbox 360 can't be made to run arbitrary OSs. You can play burned games on the 360... but only via disc. How many people have enough money to buy a BluRay burner and waste some discs as frisbees trying it out? I have a feeling that issue is more related to the economy of experimenting on BluRay than actual security. But again, you'd still be playing off the discs, which doesn't really get you terribly far from a modding standpoint.

Well, until you consider that BluRay movies could also be replicated... there might be a market for that.

rustybadger

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »

I think that one of the greatest uses of the xbox was the ability to load applications like xbmc and use the xbox as a media PC. Even without the ability to play games from the hard drive it still makes a useful media center PC.

Having said that, having the ability to run a media center app similiar to that on the PS3 would be even more beneficial because with the added CPU power, the PS3 (Even without using the GPU) will be able to play HD encoded MPEG-4 files and output them in HD.

So, here I sit, waiting for the PS3 media center app smile.gif

sp1200

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 02:57:00 AM »

Hmm...

The Dec 10th hack is sounding to be BS. The original source is claiming to now want to charge 599 for the mod (said it would be free) and is now saying its a modchip with 30 or so wires (said it was a firmware hack)...

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »

The Dec 10th hack is sounding to be BS. The original source is claiming to now want to charge 599 for the mod (said it would be free) and is now saying its a modchip with 30 or so wires (said it was a firmware hack)...

Those bastards..........Well, lets hope someone else figures out how to hack the PS3. I still call BS tho...... One thing ive learnt is never ever beleive something like that is real unless there is a video or other reliable evidence it is fully working.

EDIT: I just read the modified post that the hacking guy made:

Thank you.
PS3 loader coming December 20th.2006.
PlayBeyond.
Prepare yourself
Prepare your Hard drives
Its coming.........
©deadsoulasis®

So now its the 20th? Found that Here

This post has been edited by bigjimmy: Dec 1 2006, 08:32 PM

jaimebenlasnow

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »

Team executer seem to have the same thing

http://www.team-xecuter.com/

sp1200

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2006, 01:15:00 AM »

/\

Yea and they are saying booting off HDD is possible. Paradox hinted to it in their nfo also.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »

I wish we could get Linux to see everything on the PS3 OS's partition, and I also want custom partition size options! grr.gif

If this december 10th/20th thing is really legit, I don't think it'll take too long for Sony to release a patch to stop it.  I guess it would then turn into an annoying cat and mouse game similar to the PSP.

Just a thought - Several people are complaining about the cost of backups on BD discs - look at the PSP, there's no way you'll be able to get a blank UMD disc to write on, but that didn't stop the hackers there....

money69

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

Also, let me point out that I seriously doubt many games will take advantage of the additional space on a blueray disc compared to DVD-9. I will bet money that you will see people eventually use DVD-9 discs to burn PS3 games. This same discussion came up when the first xbox first came out because they used dual layer discs. What happened? Well, most people relised you could fully fit most games on a single layer disc and thats what they used in the systems. Because of the file system on the 360 discs it shows the size i beleive as 7.9 gig but there are even some games which can fit on a single layer dvd.

Firebat138

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(bigkevt @ Nov 17 2006, 08:42 PM) View Post

no comment

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4