xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How Long Till A Successful Flash Hack/modchip?  (Read 1086 times)

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
How Long Till A Successful Flash Hack/modchip?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »

Then Perhaps, the method of hacking the system is so obvious we're all just too blind to see it. Hrm..

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »

I still remember last week seeing pics of the earlier PS3 IGN got a hold of playing burned bd-roms. I was like wtf. They literally had the game titles written in Sharpie marker.

Yup I saw that picture aswell. That PS3 was a dev system, thats why it could play the burnt games. If only someone could get a hold of one of these systems and figure out what it is that lets it play burnt games (its most likley in the software/firmware/bios) then that could get us somewhere.

modx15

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Nov 21 2006, 11:49 PM) *

Yup I saw that picture aswell. That PS3 was a dev system, thats why it could play the burnt games. If only someone could get a hold of one of these systems and figure out what it is that lets it play burnt games (its most likley in the software/firmware/bios) then that could get us somewhere.

Or maybe one of the developers could leak it?? but still burning BL discs = $$$$

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

Maybe one of the devlopers could leak it? That's got to be the most idiotic reflection ever dude. They wouldn't leak it; they'd get their whole life taken away if they did. And I know BL discs will cost $$$$. That is why it's not a good solution. HDD is the way to go.

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 02:26:00 AM »

Yup the HDD is probably the more viable way at this point in time. Blu-ray just costs too much.

But the question is how? I honestly have no idea how or if this could be done, but im guessing theres going to be some pretty mean securitiy in the PS3 so it wont be easy.

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

Piracy posts are gone.  Parties warned.
Keep on topic...and no piracy discussion.

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »

Yeah...the HDD seems like the best way to make backups of the games.

krawhitham

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

The opportunity to run Linux on the PS3 seems to be presenting hackers with a route to attack. It is possible to dump PS3 Blu-Ray imaes to ISO files via a Linux install. If you have a 60GB HDD PS3, you may dump images directly via the following command 'dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/imagename.img'. That said, the file structure of PS3 games is said to be similar of thsoe on the PSP.

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

Backing up PS3 games will be 100x easier than the PS2 because the PS3 allows us to do a lot with 3rd party software and hombrew applications. Looks like we'll not only be seeing some sort of modchip but certainly HDD backups.

sp1200

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »

I think we will see a hack very soon. I think we will see many similarities between the psp hacks and ps3. Things move so fast these days, and many consoles are being softmodded (how spoiled we have become). It looks like the wii is already booting homebrew code (gcos) and the ps3 is kindly dumping games for us using it's own software. The only thing slowing down progress is distribution of the units themselves. There are so many clever people out there... something is bound to happen soon.

Xplic1T

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(sp1200 @ Nov 24 2006, 09:31 PM) View Post

I think we will see a hack very soon. I think we will see many similarities between the psp hacks and ps3. Things move so fast these days, and many consoles are being softmodded (how spoiled we have become). It looks like the wii is already booting homebrew code (gcos) and the ps3 is kindly dumping games for us using it's own software. The only thing slowing down progress is distribution of the units themselves. There are so many clever people out there... something is bound to happen soon.

On the issue of using blu-ray disks as the main stronghold for ps3 i think thats complete b.s. Those disk are way to expensive and i know there is a massive shortage of them at hand, i think the blu-ray spectrum is going to remain for Sony developed games only. Smaller companies wont find it a viable choice and i can see in a few months games being released in DVDr DL format. Madden ... a little over 7 gigs .... sp1200 post is very true thought, i see this system being hacked full on and the fact that you can run linux on it almost out of the box is 2/3rds the battle. Its a nVIdIA gpu, even though signing to this gpu processor might be locked there will be ways to unlock it in the future. Similar gpus will come out into the future and there might be a cleaver hack done to actually load a driver to communicate to the GPU and have it render something. I see this hacked within 6 months (atleast a fw hack) if not something that is just a softmod ps3ev0x linux distro that will launch games that way. Out of all the systems out there this is most like a pc, common parts hell i wouldn't even be surprised if in a few years with multcore procs coming out and 4x sli gpus we might even get a decent emulator out there.

Either way i am amazed by the system, i think sony did a good job on the design but im wiaitng for only 3 games for it. Tekken, Ninja Gaiden E, Metal Gear Solid 4.

sp1200

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 02:15:00 AM »

Bluray will likely be a non-issue for playing backups. If the UMD discs could be dumped and played off storage it will happen to Bluray. I would imagine the first hacks will attempt to allow ISO's to play off HDD, as any mod that does not allow this will be useless to the general public for a long while. Have a couple 500 gig drives and you can store plenty of games.

I would also agree with the above poster that we will see something in 6 months, if not sooner.

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 02:21:00 AM »

Very insightful, and very true remarks! However, I will definitely put my money on a hack by February/March. About 4 months, same time for the xbox 360 (around 4 3/4 months) (and this is including the fact that Microsoft actually TRIED to prevent backups by not allowing homebrew to run!) P.S. I already replaced my PS3 HD with a 200 gigabyte one that I got on sale for Black Friday using fidora linux to create and store the appropriate system update.

This post has been edited by PromiscuousRacoon: Nov 25 2006, 10:22 AM

theBloodShed

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »

When PS2 came out, almost no one had a DVD burner to make backups.  Blu-ray burners will become more common and cost effective as time goes on.  Especially if Blu-ray succeeds.

Seriously though, everyone is discussing strictly PS3 backup solutions.  What about PS and PS2 backups?  I'd like to get those backups working on PS3 so that I no longer need a PS2 in my entertainment center.

I'd just like to add that even if a developer leaked a dev unit firmware update, you can guarantee that it would NOT install on a retail PS3.  There will be hardware differences and the updater is certainly going to check (if it didn't, it is very likely to render the unit non-functional anyway).

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »

Well, I was just thinking about where abouts the BIOS EEPROM is on the motherboard. I was just having a look, and I think ive found 2 possible candidates. One is on the top of the board and the other is on the bottom:

(IMG:http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/bigjimmy3689/eeprom.jpg)

(IMG:http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/bigjimmy3689/eeprom2.jpg)

I know sony has probably got some pretty serious secutrity measures to stop the BIOS from being flashed with non-sony BIOS. Maybe someone could desolder this chip and extract the code from it? I honestly have no idea how hard that might be, so dont flame me if its impossible.

Damnit I wish i knew what to look for. Its so annoying knowing there will be a way to hack it, but its way out of my knowledge how to go about looking for loopholes....

This post has been edited by bigjimmy: Nov 26 2006, 02:59 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4