xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How Long Till A Successful Flash Hack/modchip?  (Read 1083 times)

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
How Long Till A Successful Flash Hack/modchip?
« on: November 17, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

Does anyone Know? Seeing as how it took around 2 months for the 360 to get a good and stable flash hack going for the devs/public, how long will it take for the PS3 considering it doesn't prevent homebrew applications on the launch compared to the xbox 360's restriction of homebrew applications on launch?

bigkevt

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »

no comment

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

I have a feeling its going to be a lot longer than it took for the 360. Because Sony is letting the PS3 do all this homebrew stuff out of the box, it will take a bit longer for people to find reasons/motivation to hack it.

So far the only things i have seen that we cant make the PS3 do yet are
-make it play copied games (duh!)
-Region free DVDs and and PS2 games
-Allow the RSX to be used for homebrew apps

Hopefully those things will drive the hacking community into developing some form of hack.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

to add to Jimmy's list.
- only 256MB out of the 512MB of RAM available to Linux
- GPU not available to Linux (Everything must be software rendered)

This post has been edited by throwingks: Nov 17 2006, 09:32 PM

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Nov 17 2006, 08:44 PM) *

I have a feeling its going to be a lot longer than it took for the 360. Because Sony is letting the PS3 do all this homebrew stuff out of the box, it will take a bit longer for people to find reasons/motivation to hack it.

360 hasn't been modded yet, although its drive was within a few months. If you want to say the so-called "mod chip" that can implement that DVD hack without plugging directly into a computer is a mod... you're still talking most of a year. Technically, PS3 was "hacked" by that standard the same day it was released due to the hard drive. And more fully hacked with bootable arbitrary OSs before the US launch.

Will PS3 take longer than a year? I'm guessing not at this rate.
And isn't running arbitrary OSs already "hacked"?

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

I personally wouldnt call anything like running OS's and HDD upgrades 'hacks' on the PS3. There merely upgrades.

The PS3 will be hacked when it does things that it wasnt designed to do. Eg, use the RSX and Grahpics accelration in linux or homebrew apps.

I think because of the 'upgrades' you can do to the PS3, it will take a litle while longer for the hacking scene to build up momentum if you see what i mean. Sony made a bold move to let people install all this hombrew stuff.....but they did it to discourage hackers. We will see if it pays off in the future.

This post has been edited by bigjimmy: Nov 17 2006, 11:22 PM

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »

Hrm. That's Interesting. I kind of get a tad discouraged when the protection on a certain item isn't meant to "stick it to hackers/modifiers." Like Apple and how you can easily emulate it on the Windows PC. That fact itself made me just want to buy a G5 computer by apple rather than using the OS on Windows as an emulation. I do hope, however, that momentum does build for the PS3 despite their bold move to discourage hackers by technically finishing the first couple of steps for them and leaving the omnipotent device open to so many influences. =D

Sloppy Fat Dump

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 12:06:00 AM »

Who cares.  Way too expensive to mod for me.  I'm not about to fork out for a fricken blue ray burner... pshh...  Btw, how much do you think 50gb blue ray discs cost?  Case and point.

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 12:21:00 AM »

Who cares. Way too expensive to mod for me. I'm not about to fork out for a fricken blue ray burner... pshh... Btw, how much do you think 50gb blue ray discs cost? Case and point.

And a very good point that is......at this point in time its a bit pointless, but when blu-ray and HD-DVD become mainstream and cheap, then its a viable option.

Thats also why itll take a bit longer for the hacking scene to take off. Because the 360 used standard DVD's, which are cheap-as now, so that made it easier to hack the 360 and test things...

This post has been edited by bigjimmy: Nov 19 2006, 08:23 AM

luker89

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sloppy Fat Dump @ Nov 18 2006, 11:06 PM) *

Who cares.  Way too expensive to mod for me.  I'm not about to fork out for a fricken blue ray burner... pshh...  Btw, how much do you think 50gb blue ray discs cost?  Case and point.

Well instead of hacking it to make backup games on ur pc why not just hack it to burn the games straight to the ps3's hard drive?

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »

Exactly. In fact, thats a way better idea. Much appreciated luke r!

Why not make it like the x-box 1 and try to burn the games to the hard drive? Try and get a FTP connection, all that stuff (even though this will need a modchip) ---Still an amazing point. Has to be ANOTHER way. I mean I can't beleive we have to wait for BD to go "mainstream." It'll take years, and by that time PS4 will be out.

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »

Duh, why didnt I think about that before! And because the HDD's are removable, you could buy multiple small HDDs and have a few games on each....

That would be a lot better solution.....now, just how do we go about doing that? lol

PromiscuousRacoon

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »

Hrm. Can't be so hard. Flash the firmware for the PS3 to allow networking capabilities and that allows us to see the PS3's ethernet IP. Utilize that flash (via a USB  Stick into the PS3 read as a system update patch) and establish an ftp connection for the hard drive. Flash will trick the PS3 into thinking the loaded program "game" is legit and walah. FTP transfer + hacked firmware + no mod chip + HDD games = bypass of the PS3.

Now all I have to say is...Team Xecuter...please help.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »

Hrm. Can't be so hard.

Famous last words right there..... biggrin.gif

Im sure its possible to make the ps3 do all that, but finding a way to make the ps3 do that is a completly different story. I really wish I could help hack the PS3, but i just dont have the knowledge about exactly how computer/console hardware works and how to go about finding holes in the system. (which is why im planning to study Electrical engineering when i go to uni  smile.gif )

sam1dog

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

I still remember last week seeing pics of the earlier PS3 IGN got a hold of playing burned bd-roms.  I was like wtf.  They literally had the game titles written in Sharpie marker.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4