xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using Playstation 3 As Media Server  (Read 446 times)

markw10

• Archived User
Using Playstation 3 As Media Server
« on: November 16, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »

I'm interested in getting a PS3 when they come out but one thing I'm looking closely at is the media server features.  I have been looking at items such as the D-Link media servers since I'd like to be able to view my mp3 music, videos, and pictures from my PC on my TV and home stereo through either a lan cable or wi-fi.  It seems like it may be built into the PS3 though.  I know the XBox 360 will have this feature but yet it requires Windows XP Media Center Edition on the PC.  Will this be a requirement for the PS3 as well?

cja100

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »

i dont believe you will need windows media center edition for the ps3 but i dont think sony will put enough money into the media server part of the ps3's development.

i do believe however that by the time of ps3's launch, you will be able to play all codecs on a modded x360 from a custom (500gb?) hard drive, or have it streamed from a non mce pc.

if you dont want a mod xbox 360 then it looks like sony is the right choice because as of yet the x360 only supports mpeg2 (dvds), mp3, wmv, wma and a couple of others. no hd-dvd divx xvid yet.

sony will probably support a large range of 3rd party codecs and Blueray.

also we will have to wait and see who wins the dvd race. blueray or hd-dvd.

This post has been edited by cja100: Nov 18 2005, 12:39 AM

Deeptracks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »

The best console for a media centre, is definitely a modded xbox1. XBMC is great and no unmoddified console will ever support as many codec’s. Even if the next gen consoles are hacked it will take time for them to get on par.

I don't have an xbox360 yet but I heard there is a MS streaming tool that people without mce can use to get some of the mce functions

PS3 will probably be much worse as SONY is a content provider, they would rather have you buy your movies over again on Bluray discs than let you stream them to your ps3 using your PC.
Sony is likely to force you to use some SONY Program on your PC to stream to the PS3. (Think early sony mp3 players or Sony MD players with pc connection) It will strongly limit the things you will be able to do, watching pictures will work fine but anything else will be strongly regulated.

The one unique Media player feature PS3 will have is Bluray support, but remembering how my first PS2 sucked at playing DVDs(It stopped playing as soon as it came across the slightest scratch, only perfect condition and completely dust free DVDs would play from beginning to end. When it finaly broke down I got a new PS2 wich playes DVDs just fine) I am not to enthusiastic about that feature yet. After all Bluray might still loose to HDDVD.

Charbless

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »

The above post seems to state everything right also getting a PS3 for a media server would be waste of cash you would build one for that sort of money.