xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: SlySoft defeats Blu-ray's BDplus DRM scheme again  (Read 990 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
SlySoft defeats Blu-ray's BDplus DRM scheme again
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 29-12-2008 16:47 EST

From the press release:

Despite some sites reporting that "Slysoft has been beaten", the Antiguan company renowned for promoting Fair Use Rights has effectively defeated BD+ once again and much earlier than expected; the cat and mouse game of DRM has entered the next round.

Although newer BD+ decryption wasn't expected until February 2009, today's AnyDVD HD 6.5.0.2 release decrypts copy protection on all current Blu-ray movies and, in turn, ensures that consumers may continue to backup and enjoy their Blu-ray movie purchases even when using computer monitors that are not HDCP compliant. In fact, Anydvd HD remains the only program that can decrypt all commercial Blu-ray releases, and this incredible magic is, as per usual with Anydvd HD, performed on the fly without requiring users to rip first to their hard drives.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

LMAO!!!

This post has been edited by Elemino: Dec 30 2008, 12:32 AM

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »

Admittedly, someone called James on the SlySoft forums does think that the new update won't hold for long, saying that he "estimates February 2009 for the new BD+ to be defeated."

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=669975

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »

Update  e-mail arrived here today. Didn't take too long to sort that one out.

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »

I knew it wasn't going to take two and a half months to crack the DRM.  Now for the movie industry to create new DRM, I'd bet that February is to close for that.  There are millions of people who will actively work on cracking the DRM.  There are a few dozen, at best, that work on making it.

This is just going to continue this way, over and over again.  There will be no DRM that cannot be cracked, and all it's going to do is piss off the average everyday user who pays for their movies and force them to move to cracked versions.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(chronno @ Dec 31 2008, 04:57 PM) View Post

I knew it wasn't going to take two and a half months to crack the DRM.  Now for the movie industry to create new DRM, I'd bet that February is to close for that.  There are millions of people who will actively work on cracking the DRM.  There are a few dozen, at best, that work on making it.

This is just going to continue this way, over and over again.  There will be no DRM that cannot be cracked, and all it's going to do is piss off the average everyday user who pays for their movies and force them to move to cracked versions.

It's all about keeping honest people honest smile.gif

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jan 2 2009, 09:38 PM) *

It's all about keeping honest people honest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Except the honest people get stuck with crappy DRM, while dishonest people get clean non-drm copies.

Same reason I've always wondered why I get the FBI warning on my dvd's/blurays.  I already bought it, why are you wasting my time with this crap.  Then the person who is viewing the same movie via pirated copy, gets to either benefit from having warnings removed, or at least fast forward through them.

And since i believe there is no copy protection in the universe that can actually work, they offload the charges for the DRM onto the paying customer.  As a paying customer I say give up on DRM, its hopeless, stop wasting your money.

DRM and warnings seem to affect the paying customer more than joe blow who downloads a copy off the net.

This post has been edited by Zod5000: Jan 5 2009, 03:47 AM

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jan 3 2009, 05:38 AM) View Post

It's all about keeping honest people honest smile.gif

Honest people won't copy their DVDs with or without DRM.  DRM is supposedly an attempt to keep dishonest people honest.  It only takes one dishonest person, who is willing to spend hours cracking the DRM or finding someone who will, to put the file online and then everyone has access to it.

Honest people are stuck with a product that may not work when they get it.  All three Futurama DVDs have a new version of DRM that will not allow the older DVD players to play them (my dad is having this problem).  Blu-Ray updates their DRM even more often.

In reality there are probably thousands of people who will work to crack DRM for nefarious purposes or for legitimate backup purposes like AnyDVD.  There are only a few dozen at most who will work on making the DRM.  It's not a fare fight.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(chronno @ Jan 7 2009, 08:04 PM) View Post

Honest people won't copy their DVDs with or without DRM.  DRM is supposedly an attempt to keep dishonest people honest.  It only takes one dishonest person, who is willing to spend hours cracking the DRM or finding someone who will, to put the file online and then everyone has access to it.

Honest people are stuck with a product that may not work when they get it.  All three Futurama DVDs have a new version of DRM that will not allow the older DVD players to play them (my dad is having this problem).  Blu-Ray updates their DRM even more often.

In reality there are probably thousands of people who will work to crack DRM for nefarious purposes or for legitimate backup purposes like AnyDVD.  There are only a few dozen at most who will work on making the DRM.  It's not a fare fight.

With all the money that gets pumped into it, I'd say it is a "fare" fight; just not a "fair" fight tongue.gif

As for the protection making some unplayable, that sucks. It's good that your old DVD player has put out for so long. It's a shame that companies pass the buck onto the consumer, though. I'd prefer the discs have content unrestricted. If you spend less resources on trying to make it "uncopyable", you have more to make the product better, or can at least make it at a reduced cost. I'm reminded of the episode of South Park where Kyle & his band (along with Metallica & others) went on strike because people were downloading their songs, while Cartman didn't care about that and still went on to sell a million records.

QUOTE(Zod5000 @ Jan 5 2009, 04:19 AM) View Post

Except the honest people get stuck with crappy DRM, while dishonest people get clean non-drm copies.

Same reason I've always wondered why I get the FBI warning on my dvd's/blurays.  I already bought it, why are you wasting my time with this crap.  Then the person who is viewing the same movie via pirated copy, gets to either benefit from having warnings removed, or at least fast forward through them.

And since i believe there is no copy protection in the universe that can actually work, they offload the charges for the DRM onto the paying customer.  As a paying customer I say give up on DRM, its hopeless, stop wasting your money.

DRM and warnings seem to affect the paying customer more than joe blow who downloads a copy off the net.

That was exactly my point. I think Captain Jack Sparrow (a pirate) said it best "a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid".

I HATE having to sit through the warnings, too. It's bad enough you can't just press 'menu' on most previews anymore (gotta 'next chapter' your way through). Why do they have to slap the guy who just gave them $30? I can goto the zoo and watch monkeys sling poo, which is still entertaining, with no warnings to sit through (damn, not intended, but has sorta a "Dr. Suess" ring to it tongue.gif)

hellowilld

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »

This Blu-ray DVD Ripper is the most powerful one that I have used before. It has great power to rip Blu-ray DVD to video of all formats and edit DVDs. You can free download here:
http://www.freedvdripper.org/blu-ray-conve...ray-ripper.html

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »

im not anti drm don't get me wrong. some drm i liked like apple now gone firplay. steam and there drm is fine. nobody complanes abought them being they fair and work. but then we get into these music and movie drm that are totaly trying to prevent fair use and have total control of there content and force standards like hdcp. that drm needs to die and is on that path thank god. you pretty much have to avoid anything made by bungy now being they force you to be online to play there games cracked now thank god. now bizzerd and starcaft2 will have a 1 time activation online after that you can play it online or off these types i support and really we have been doing that for a long time with keys. but when you cross that line of telling me i have to have internet or some software for this program to work your drm needs to go. we all rember the sony rootkit.

so as you can see im not all abought the death of drm if its just used to verfy my copy 1 time and moves on im cool with that but anymore and its just to much and i will get a drm free copy.

but i do agree drm is useless being the only people that are going to have issues with it are the honest people that buy there software anyways. the dishonest are not ever going to have a problem with it. being all there stuff will be drm free copys. if its ment to slow down the pricy scene im cool with that but when it gets cracked and relesed then its time to remove the drm from your softwhere being its no longer delaying pirate releases.

This post has been edited by luther349: Jun 4 2010, 04:51 AM

IRNBRU87

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »

lol have you seen the date of this thread x.x