xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Unboxed: Sony Play TV  (Read 322 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Unboxed: Sony Play TV
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | 20-8-2008 12:37 EST

From stuff.tv:

After a year long wait since it was first announced, Sony's Play TV finally arrived on our desk today. And while it was tempting just to sit and watch the Olympics all afternoon, we did have a poke around the PS3's telly recording add-on to give you this first look.

But there are a few downers. In order to allow recording while you're doing other things on your PS3 (say, playing Haze) you have to allow 'background recording', and there's a warning that this may cause slow-down and effect gameplay.

Then there are those bomb-shells that we revealed a few days ago, namely no 1080i recording at launch and the inclusion of pesky DRM. Although we haven't yet had the chance to test it with our PSP, this will mean you'll have to record shows via Remote Play to watch them on your handheld console rather than just sticking them on a memory stick and transferring them.

Play TV will be hitting shelves on 10th September for £70, but we'll bring you a full review before then to let you know whether or not to splash your cash.

Full Story: stuff.tv

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »

But there are a few downers. In order to allow recording while you're doing other things on your PS3 (say, playing Haze) you have to allow 'background recording', and there's a warning that this may cause slow-down and effect gameplay.

I don't see how enabling 'background recording' is a downer. The fact that it can (can; not will) cause slowdown while playing a game simultaneously should be understood. People who use computers [heavily] are more familiar with this concept. While you may be able to burn a CD and play a game at the same time (or drive a car with your feet, for that matter), it doesn't make it a good idea...

As for the DRM and lack of 1080i recording, I kinda saw that coming. With all the trouble it is to hook up a PS3 to a non-HDCP monitor, I didn't see them compromising the 1080p/HDCP/DRM/etc hold they've had in place already.

Either way, recording a broadcast in 720p is still exciting to a dvr-less person such as myself smile.gif

anttimonty

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »

Sony is seriously fucking this one up.

Over priced
No version with card reader
DRM
No DVB-C version

grr.gif  Some idiots at the development department should smacked and hard.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »

The inclusion of the ability to watch the digital broadcasts and record them is another good addition. It means some people that currently have a Freeview box sat under their TV can now integrate this with their gaming and DVD playback. I doubt the aim was to make a high end all singing all dancing PVR. Cost would have had to go up making it less attractive. This piece of kit is around the same price as a poor quality standalone PVR that only does 480P.
The firmware is once again upgradeable so any more future changes to the NIT table can be addressed with an update.
If you want a full HD PVR that records 2 channels at once whilst watching a 3rd etc. then buy Sky HD, but be aware of just how much that will cost you.
Some people still wouldn't be satisfied simply because it says Sony on it.
For £70 it is within my current budget and will serve as a useful addition to the PS3. I already have Sky HD but this opens up an extra option for cheap money.
No I wouldn't rather have one of those cheap Freeview boxes from Asda smile.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(anttimonty @ Aug 26 2008, 03:02 PM) View Post

Well considering you can get an USB DUAL DVB-T tuner for 50$ with software I'd say this is way over priced. Since it is nothing more then a DUAL DVB-T tuner. For the price they are asking they should atleast include a security card reader for it and remove the freaking DRM which only has cost them more to develop.

You are not comparing like for like. Does the USB device sit under my TV running via my PS3 or my 360 or anything else under it? Or do I need to have it plugged into my PC and use the terrible software that comes with these. Does it record 720P?
Would it also mean I have to run my aerial from the back of my TV to my PC 2 rooms away?
 The cheap £46.95 Win Nova one is rubbish.
It's horses for courses. This gives me extra freeview channels right where I want under my TV.
Why would it need a CAM when it is designed for the FTA channels?
The DRM was obviously going to be included. We would all like that bit to be missing but they were never going to let people start swapping Tv broadcasts even though people do it with other stuff all the time. This is still Sony we are discussing smile.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »

Yes those cheap USB recievers do record in HD

which one. the ones at £46 certainly do not record Freeview HD transmissions

Are you sure you are arguing about features you understand. Not being funny but you are talking of CAM inclusion etc but I noticed you quoted dollars as currency for the USB stick. This is not available in the US the features and counter debate I am putting forward is based on UK Digital reception.
Which of those cheap USB devices currently receives FTA Digital.
You also realise that the only scrambled channels on FTA DVB here are the top up Tv line up? (Not Many)
DVB-C is irrelevant. DVB-C is cable TV. The cable TV areas are owned here by Virgin Media (old NTL TW). No receiver here that is a Freeview PVR can receive cable TV. Cable areas are very small in the UK it is not the mass Tv medium and there are to be no new areas cabled either so what it is now is it. Cable has to be supplied by the cable company.
I feel you are talking something that is at crossed purposes.
 This device receives FTA Digital signals, not cable, not satellite.
It is a direct competitor to a DTR (Freeview Recorder) only it costs less money than most.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

Whoa DVB-C doesn't matter? THNX for telling me that buddy as I happen to live in a flat with that has cable connection and yes I can record freeview DVB-C channels. Would I like to set up an shitty indoor terrestial antenna? Hell no. I happen to live in Finland and I'd like to see my Formula 1 in real time and not hours after the event. Yep that requires me to get a Conax card to get that channel that broadcasts F1 live!

You are completely missing the point I was making and in fact misquoting what I said.
 This device is not pretending to be a Cable receiver at all so it is irrelevant to complain because it doesn't receive cable. My PS3 doesn't play Wii games but as it is not designed for that purpose it is pointless me moaning about it. This device if for reception of Terrestrial Digital signals.
Sony is not trying to sell you bullshit for your money, because they are not selling a device to you at all, if you only have cable.
As for HD recording any DVB receiver that accepts HD brouadcast can record them

Exactly my point. Now which $50 one is capable of receiving the HD Freeview transmissions? Most of them will not even work when the local transmitter they receive from are upgraded to reflect the latest NIT tables.