xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Blu-ray adoption outpaces DVD  (Read 313 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Blu-ray adoption outpaces DVD
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 9-6-2008 23:42 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

Singulus has revealed that consumers are adopting Blu-ray faster than they did DVD, with the company having received 21 orders for Blu-ray dual-layer machines in the first quarter.

"This means that the orders for Blu-ray in the first year of the dual layer technology already by far exceeded the volume at the start of the DVD eleven years ago with 17 machines," said Stefan A Baustert, CEO of Singulus.

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »

I find this very hard to believe, who are these people again?

It just seems dvd was everywhere very quickly and blu ray just isn't.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »

The bit I find laughable is trying to quantify this based on the sales of 21 Br machines as opposed to 17 for DVD.
How in goodness name is this representative of anything.

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Jun 10 2008, 12:31 PM) *

I find this very hard to believe, who are these people again?

It just seems dvd was everywhere very quickly and blu ray just isn't.

Nope, it took a while for DVD too.

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 10 2008, 01:20 PM) *

The bit I find laughable is trying to quantify this based on the sales of 21 Br machines as opposed to 17 for DVD.

I'm not clear on this either. I guess it would help to know how many discs per quantity of time these machines produce and how long the machines are on to see exactly the difference. I'm betting the difference is larger than one would initially think. Even then, this seems more directly representative of retail adoption than consumer, as these discs could very well be sitting on shelves or in a warehouse for all we know, assuming the manufacturing companies are actually selling most of what they produce.

This post has been edited by Kamasutra318: Jun 10 2008, 07:03 PM

apexad

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »

I think the biggest logical reason for Blu-Ray doing better than DVD is the PS3.  You have to give Sony credit for that.  They essentially 'forced' Blu-Ray adoption to anyone who bought the PS3.  DVD did accomplish this, but not nearly as quickly as Blu-Ray.

In doing research, mass sales of DVD players started around 1997, 3 years before PS2 came out and 4 years before Xbox came out.  Within 2-3 years of PS2 and Xbox coming out, DVD had passed VHS.

Secondly, Blu-Ray has something that DVD didn't as well.  That is the pending February 2009 Digitial switch and Cable and Satellite companies actively fighting over who has more HD channels.  The mention of High Definition and Digital is all over the place.  Many people are finally upgrading their CRT TVs to LCDs, Plasma, and Digital Projection.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 10 2008, 06:20 PM) View Post

I used to work at a manufacturing plant, and the machines we had were quite productive. I want to say we only had 4 (at least when I worked there), and they could easily churn out 50,000 discs between them during a 12hr shift (maybe more). If the BD moulders work at a similar rate (I don't see why they wouldn't), then it's quite a bit of production increase.

The thing to notice, however, is how much quicker we've gotten older movies on Blu-ray than we did on DVD. Granted, I expect it'll be quite a while before I see 2-minute commercials advertising a Shirley Temple BD, and let's not forget how some movies weren't HD'd correctly (such as Alien Vs Predator is getting a re-make later this year, Pirates of the Caribbean had a bad transfer on it's release, etc). We're also still early in the HD technology cycle. The quad-def units (2160p @ 120Hz) may exist, but aren't expected to be out until 2015, when we'll also be introduced to Super Hi-Vision (7680 x 4320, which 480 happens to be a common denominator of)...  

I feel the adoption rate is a bit faster, but it's going to be rehashed to us much quicker.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

I'd say adoption is faster... I didn't get 5 free DVD's with anything I bought, or 3 free with the purchase of a 1080p TV. Sony was very desperate not to lose this battle... and their desperation paid off.

I'd also like to mention the Wal-Mart near my house now has an entire aisle dedicated to bluray as well as a $248 Magnavox bluray player.

This post has been edited by Elemino: Jun 14 2008, 02:04 AM