xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: HD DVD's Death Hasn't Helped Blu-ray Sales  (Read 293 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
HD DVD's Death Hasn't Helped Blu-ray Sales
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 30-4-2008 23:32 EST

From gizmodo.com:

NPD says that even after HD DVD stopping peeing in it and lied down to die, not only have Blu-ray sales have only jumped a meager two percent (after falling 40 percent from Jan.), but they're so bad, they won't even release the actual numbers.

Full Story: gizmodo.com

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »

too pricey and not worthy?

or maybe the costumers are not really paying attention...

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(irnchriz @ May 1 2008, 02:47 PM) View Post

Not really surprised.  Yes the picture is better but not really that much especially if your tv is smaller than 50 inch.

It would need to be an amazing movie to make you spend more than double what it costs to buy the dvd version.

I agree the cost of the discs are holding it back. price needs to drop to a more realistic level or you only get real avid collectors interested.
I disagree vehemently about the picture quality. The quality is far beyond standard res DVD even on 32 inch TV sets.
QUOTE(stevenalvarado @ May 1 2008, 09:10 AM) View Post

Perhaps they are too busy designing outfits for the May Ball  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »

I've said it hundreds of times before... convenience drives the market NOT quality...

Example: vinyl < cassette < CD < [what came next?]
A. the higher quality choice: SACD/DVD-A
or
B. the lower quality but more convenient choice: Digital Audio/MP3s

Example 2: telegraphs < party lines < home phones < [what came next?]
A. the higher quality choice: video phones
or
B. the lower quality but more convenient choice: cell phones

Example 3: VHS < DVD < [what comes next?]
A. the higher quality choice: blu-ray disc
or
B. the lower quality but more convenient choice: digital downloads

Blu-ray wont be going anywhere but I'll be surprised if it ever reaches mass market appeal.

Right now Digital Downloads are still in their infancy and if sony can get a sub $250 player out by the end of the year and take a clean $10-$15 price cut off media across the board then yeah they'll have a shot, but if we don't see that this fall there will be more people buying Apple TVs than people buying blu-ray and you'll se it go the way of the laser disc... SACD and other technologies that couldn't garner mass market appeal even without any competition simply because they offered no advances to convince.

hardcandy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 1 2008, 10:10 AM) View Post

I've said it hundreds of times before... convenience drives the market NOT quality...

Example: vinyl < cassette < CD < [what came next?]
A. the higher quality choice: SACD/DVD-A
or
B. the lower quality but more convenient choice: Digital Audio/MP3s

Example 2: telegraphs < party lines < home phones < [what came next?]
A. the higher quality choice: video phones
or
B. the lower quality but more convenient choice: cell phones

Example 3: VHS < DVD < [what comes next?]
A. the higher quality choice: blu-ray disc
or
B. the lower quality but more convenient choice: digital downloads
Blu-ray wont be going anywhere but I'll be surprised if it ever reaches mass market appeal.

Right now Digital Downloads are still in their infancy and if sony can get a sub $250 player out by the end of the year and take a clean $10-$15 price cut off media across the board then yeah they'll have a shot, but if we don't see that this fall there will be more people buying Apple TVs than people buying blu-ray and you'll se it go the way of the laser disc... SACD and other technologies that couldn't garner mass market appeal even without any competition simply because they offered no advances to convince.

Along with convenience comes cost. Each of the samples you listed are the more convenient but also are the lower cost choice.
To get the most out of high definition discs you need a nice $600-$1000 TV, a nice audio set-up, and a player for at least $300-400. So, not only are the disks twice as high as dvd's, the eqipment to enjoy them requires a substantial outlay.
Remember, movies and audio are not the majority's priority- education of children, homes, furniture, transportation, clothing, and social life take a lot of folk's disposable income.
My point is that convenience and cost go hand-in-hand. Having a chaffeur drive you to work is more convenient but the cost precludes it.

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

ooops... huge typo. wacko.gif

anyway, you get the idea.    ph34r.gif

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »

I agree with the sentiment of this thread, as well as the slow economy too:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=649203

rooter75

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »

So I had to go back and read through that again cause I was confused about the "may ball" comment, the second time reading it I had to pick myself up off the floor and wipe my eyes that is some funny $h*t. stevenalvarado no worries about the typo like I said I didn't catch it the first read either ... biggrin.gif  I guess dyslexic minds think alike huh?

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

dyslexic minds?     maybe I´m from costa rica and "knowing" 2 languages sometimes is kinda hard.

y comenzar a escribir en español se les va a hacer muy dificil entenderme, como vi en otro lado no les gusta mucho los emuladores en español  laugh.gif  link

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 1 2008, 09:05 AM) View Post
I disagree vehemently about the picture quality. The quality is far beyond standard res DVD even on 32 inch TV sets.
The question is, is it good enough? If you bought a 32 inch tv for your main TV, you probably don't care enough about HD to buy every movie in HD anyway.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ May 4 2008, 08:05 AM) View Post

The question is, is it good enough? If you bought a 32 inch tv for your main TV, you probably don't care enough about HD to buy every movie in HD anyway.

You are intimating in that statement that there is not much difference between standard def and Hi-Def on the smaller screens. This is not true. There is still a world of difference between the two. many people are restricted in physical size by their location (size and space in their dwelling). The difference is night and day.