xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Analyst: PS3 a Crutch to the Blu-ray Market  (Read 402 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Analyst: PS3 a Crutch to the Blu-ray Market
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 24-4-2008 0:41 EST

From next-gen.biz:

Just as some game makers might worry that people are buying PS3s just for Blu-ray movies, movie studios may need to worry that that people are buying the consoles just for games, according to one analyst.

"The studios better hope that people are playing movies on their PlayStations," said ABI Research analyst Steve Wilson. "Otherwise there's very little installed base."

The comments come from an abstract of ABI Research's new study, "Consumer Video Technologies Forecasts," which found that "the state of the Blu-ray player market is not all that encouraging," because of the market's reliance on the Blu-ray-enabled PS3.

"In 2008 about 85 percent of the Blu-ray players in the market will be found in PS3s; the dedicated consumer electronics and PC-based types of Blu-ray players won't catch up in terms of market share until about 2013," Wilson added.

Full Story: next-gen.biz

itchy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »

I mostly use it for blu ray movies.  However I wouldn't mind if Sony pulled metrics out of my PS3 to see how it's being used.

hardcandy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »

I use it for both games and movies. But I am amazed at how fast all the deals/discounts/etc disappeared once HD-DVD gave up. Blu-ray disks are around $25 and above. The discounts I see are "Buy 2, get one free", which still leaves the price around $22-26 each. Oh competition, how I miss thee.
I stopped buying movies a month ago when the discounts seemed to dry up. Amazon has some and Deepdiscount DVD has some once in a while on movies I do not want.

mercury187

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(hardcandy @ Apr 24 2008, 07:55 AM) *

I use it for both games and movies. But I am amazed at how fast all the deals/discounts/etc disappeared once HD-DVD gave up. Blu-ray disks are around $25 and above. The discounts I see are "Buy 2, get one free", which still leaves the price around $22-26 each. Oh competition, how I miss thee.
I stopped buying movies a month ago when the discounts seemed to dry up. Amazon has some and Deepdiscount DVD has some once in a while on movies I do not want.

Ive been getting hd dvds at hollywood video @ buy two for 10$ each. The titles are ok movies that I wouldnt mind paying 10$ to see.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »

Fact of the matter is that if they have a PS3, whether they only play games or not, it's more about having a movie they'd WANT to buy. They can already play it. Looks like Hollywood is still blaming other things for their "lack of sales". I guess blaming piracy all the time got a tad redundant (especially since it doesn't guarantee a sale/lost sale), but they're still not willing to admit they're pumping out crap after crap (seriously, almost every move to come out last year was a remake of something, or a sequel). An installed base is an installed base. PS3 handles BOTH BD and games, so anybody with one has the option to buy either. Make something they want, and they'll buy it.

Giga_Death

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »

the dedicated consumer electronics and PC-based types of Blu-ray players won't catch up in terms of market share until about 2013,"

HD market has yet to reach over 10% of the market in the US. I think the 2013 predictions might be a bit late, but it could be near that.

man_the_king

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Apr 24 2008, 01:15 PM) View Post

Fact of the matter is that if they have a PS3, whether they only play games or not, it's more about having a movie they'd WANT to buy. They can already play it. Looks like Hollywood is still blaming other things for their "lack of sales". I guess blaming piracy all the time got a tad redundant (especially since it doesn't guarantee a sale/lost sale), but they're still not willing to admit they're pumping out crap after crap (seriously, almost every move to come out last year was a remake of something, or a sequel). An installed base is an installed base. PS3 handles BOTH BD and games, so anybody with one has the option to buy either. Make something they want, and they'll buy it.

This was one of the most insightful remarks on this page. I agree - Hollywood has forgotten that movies are not business, they are about art - that is why we see such muck year after year. Movies like "Shutter", "Prom Night", "AVP" - now who wants to see such unmitigated crap? Add to that American audiences' aversion to seeing subtitled movies and you can see how a whole lot of good movies get missed out.

mercury187

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Apr 24 2008, 11:15 AM) *

They need to get the price below 20$/piece for blu rays also if they want mass adoption. I'll continue to buy them used until they are less than 20$ for a blu ray movie. When I first got my ps3 a month or so ago they were 29.99, half the price of a game. It's hard to justify spending 30$ on a movie you will watch once and then who knows when you will watch it again, whereas for 60$ you can get something you know you will use over and over for a while.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(mercury187 @ Apr 24 2008, 10:51 PM) View Post

They need to get the price below 20$/piece for blu rays also if they want mass adoption. I'll continue to buy them used until they are less than 20$ for a blu ray movie. When I first got my ps3 a month or so ago they were 29.99, half the price of a game. It's hard to justify spending 30$ on a movie you will watch once and then who knows when you will watch it again, whereas for 60$ you can get something you know you will use over and over for a while.

I've got a nice small BD library built up, and I've spent ~$15 ea. The key is to find the right sales. I got the PotC trilogy + Ratatouille for $50 as part of a BOGO sale @ Toys R Us a while back. Got some trilogy box sets on sale for great prices, etc. Always check your local circulars & websites (Amazon is great for some ~$15 BDs) for a great sale. The reason MSRP is so high right now is that they need a larger installed base for a lower profit margin to make everyone in the chain money. Of course, dropping the price would expedite the adoption process, but it seems they'd rather wait.

braincore02

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »

well i dunno if this has as much to do with the ps3 install base as the videogame side, but it really is the only blu-ray player worth it's salt right now.  the picture, while it may not be the best, is damn good.  the cell processors allow it to load titles and bdj especially much faster than the other players i've used.  that and it's future proof, advancing profile levels as the new ones become standard.  the only real problem is the lack of normal remote support, which can be worked around thru a few methods.

i work in the industry, and whenever anyone asks me what player they should buy, i tell them to buy a ps3, and make it very clear i advise them to buy nothing else.

i agree tho, i will not be buying many or any movies until they drop to $20 average.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(braincore02 @ Apr 25 2008, 04:57 PM) View Post
i work in the industry, and whenever anyone asks me what player they should buy, i tell them to buy a ps3, and make it very clear i advise them to buy nothing else.
Working in the industry myself, I let people know about the PS3 and how it's faster and can be upgraded simply by downloading updates, but I never push people to buy it. Some people can figure out a standalone better. On, disc in, watch movie. Also a standalone tends to blend in better as far as looks go, not to mention some people are scared (for some unknown reason) of people playing video games on their tv. But I always let them know about the PS3 and the $25 attatchment for a proprietary remote. The lack of a power button on the remote is also something the older crowd must take into consideration.

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Apr 26 2008, 03:17 PM) *

Working in the industry myself, I let people know about the PS3 and how it's faster and can be upgraded simply by downloading updates, but I never push people to buy it. Some people can figure out a standalone better. On, disc in, watch movie. Also a standalone tends to blend in better as far as looks go, not to mention some people are scared (for some unknown reason) of people playing video games on their tv. But I always let them know about the PS3 and the $25 attatchment for a proprietary remote. The lack of a power button on the remote is also something the older crowd must take into consideration.

You can power it on with the PS button, or were just insinuating the older generation isn't intelligent enough to figure that out?  Which I would agree with.

braincore02

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Apr 26 2008, 07:17 AM) View Post

Working in the industry myself, I let people know about the PS3 and how it's faster and can be upgraded simply by downloading updates, but I never push people to buy it.

i might clarify i do not work in the industry in a sales position.  i give this advice to friends and colleagues who ask me, and i tell them all the ups and downs in my perspective, and obviously i feel very strongly the upside outweighs the down.  i wouldn't say i'm pushing anyone, but to me it is simply the most logical, best "bang-for-the-buck" purchase if you want blu-ray at this point in time.

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zod5000 @ Apr 26 2008, 11:51 AM) View Post

You can power it on with the PS button, or were just insinuating the older generation isn't intelligent enough to figure that out?  Which I would agree with.
Actually I was talking about what you need to do to turn the system off. But still, some of the older crowd would have a hard enough time trying to figure out why the power button is all the way down there.

QUOTE(braincore02 @ Apr 26 2008, 02:20 PM) View Post

i might clarify i do not work in the industry in a sales position.  i give this advice to friends and colleagues who ask me, and i tell them all the ups and downs in my perspective, and obviously i feel very strongly the upside outweighs the down.  i wouldn't say i'm pushing anyone, but to me it is simply the most logical, best "bang-for-the-buck" purchase if you want blu-ray at this point in time.
I agree the pros do outwiegh the cons. But for some people, simple is best.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Apr 27 2008, 08:13 PM) View Post

Actually I was talking about what you need to do to turn the system off. But still, some of the older crowd would have a hard enough time trying to figure out why the power button is all the way down there.

The type of person who can not cope with switching a machine off if the standby button is not in an identical place to his TV remote is not really the type of person who would be interested in a BR player. If they are interested enough in BR to want a player they would have some basic understanding of something like the remote control.
 If you are meaning the near death age of the population, then they probably purchased a BR player because they read they need one in  a magazine somewhere. They won't need the off switch. They will never switch it on or use it, just like the DVD player they thought they needed biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2