xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Playstation 3 will go BD Live this summer  (Read 195 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Playstation 3 will go BD Live this summer
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | 26-2-2008 13:02 EST

From dvdtown.com:

Sources close to Sony has said that a BD Live update to the Playstation 3 could arrive as early as May or June.

Sony told Home Cinema Choice Magazine that PS3 owners can expect the firmware update when the first BD Live stand alone players hit the market.

Full Story: dvdtown.com

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

Sorry to say you can see why I loved HD-DVD, none of this update crap it was all there right from the go at least my PS3 can update

Not turning this into a flame war but I'm just saying you know you shouldn't have to update movie players imho at the end of the day you are just watching a movie!

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

Isn't giving the ability for a Movie Player to update via internet only a good thing? Thats where we are these days is being able to update any of our electronic devices these days for more features, bug fixes, etc, etc

Like you said, at the end of the day your just watching a movie, and you can simply do this with any movie players before any update

maxpower2001

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 26 2008, 09:56 PM) *

Sorry to say you can see why I loved HD-DVD, none of this update crap it was all there right from the go at least my PS3 can update

Not turning this into a flame war but I'm just saying you know you shouldn't have to update movie players imho at the end of the day you are just watching a movie!

There were hardware changes for dvd as well.  Wasn't Progressive Scan a big thing when it came out?  I didn't remember complaining that the 700.00 dvd player i bought didn't have progressive scan.  Technology changes.    I could still watch dvd movies with it, no big deal.  After the player died i just went shopping for a new one that had more features.  I don't see what the fuss is about with new features being added.

BD Live isn't even a big deal.  It adds internet capabilities to your bd player, i'm assuming for online content of the particular movie you're watching - that's it.  You can still watch your BD movies without bd live.  

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 26 2008, 08:56 PM) View Post

You still can just watch the movie without updating.
Upgradeable firmware and such is the way of the world now. It is actually a masterpiece idea that allows the addition of features and bug fixes. If you don't have upgradeable machines you are tied to whatever is current at launch. Same goes for HD DVD. what problem is it? The update will be free it will give extra features/stability etc.
What would you say to the 360 not being upgradeable from the off. No dash updates no added features etc. The principle is no different. You shouldn't have to update a 360, at the end of the day you are just playing a game wink.gif
Off Topic a bit (still to do with upgrades)
Hey Bucko a bit of inside info  for you here. If you have Sky at home there is a major software update in the next 24 hours. If you want it now Switch the box off at the wall and plug it back in while holding the backup button the front. Keep the button held in until all the 4 leds light on the front and the message updating system software comes on the screen. You get the update first. takes about 10 minutes and the box switches off when done

dave.k

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 27 2008, 07:56 AM) View Post

Fair point.  But, come the update, Blu-ray will be as good as HD-DVD was, as far as the software is concerned.  It was always better as far as the hardware spec was concerned.  So overall, Blu-ray is the better choice for the future.

QUOTE(bucko @ Feb 27 2008, 07:56 AM) View Post

As a previous poster mentioned, you don't need the update to watch the movie.  All Blu-ray players can watch all Blu-ray movies.  It's just the extras that some may miss out on.