xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dump Blu-Ray Movies via PS3 Linux  (Read 138 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Dump Blu-Ray Movies via PS3 Linux
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:10:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | 29-11-2006 1:34 EST

From ps3news.com:

Today CJPC has dumped the first PS3 Blu-ray Movie as well- namely Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby! Before we get into the specifics, the reason why many were having issues dumping a PS3 MOVIE (via Linux on PS3) versus a PS3 GAME is because the Blu-ray MOVIE filesystem differs being UDF 2.5 and the stock PS3 Linux kernel only has support for 2.01. When attempting to MOUNT the disc you will receive the following error: UDF-fs: minUDFReadRev=250 (max is 201). It's important to NOTE that you do not need to mount the drive to be able to do a raw read from it.

In order to succesfully dump PS3 Blu-ray MOVIE discs, you must use the command: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/blu-raymovie.iso, however, there is an untested patch available for 2.50 which may work... we will update on this after CJPC recompiles the kernel and verifies whether it works or not. For those who updated to v1.11 Firmware today, CJPC has also confirmed that it will not adversely affect (block) the dumping of PS3 discs so that is refreshing news indeed!

As for the Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby PS3 Blu-ray MOVIE dump, it weighs in at 20.9GB (22,474,719,232 bytes) and a FileList.txt is also available for those interested!

Read More: ps3news.com

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »

Yup another disc dump.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:56:00 PM »

From AVS:
Any desktop/laptop PC which has BD drive or HD DVD drive can copy, open any of files on a BD or HD DVD disc without any trouble. Of course, those files are protected by AACS, what you get is just unusable files.

Is THAT really news?

I mean sure, it's neat that it was done on the PS3 as opposed to a seperate PC, but the files are just as useless.

elmo_sni

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 29 2006, 01:27 AM) *

I mean sure, it's neat that it was done on the PS3 as opposed to a seperate PC, but the files are just as useless.

untrue... is it certain that blu-ray players have media storage flags, so BR-R/RWs wont work? i'm sure a firmware update on those BR drive's can fix that. and i'm willing to bet someone is already hard at work on this

This post has been edited by elmo_sni: Nov 29 2006, 07:20 PM

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(elmo_sni @ Nov 29 2006, 01:51 PM) *

untrue... is it certain that blu-ray players have media storage flags, so BR-R/RWs wont work? i'm sure a firmware update on those BR drive's can fix that. and i'm willing to bet someone is already hard at work on this

I believe if you burn those files on to a BD-R all you will get is an $18 coaster.  The only thing that makes this "news" worthy is that it was done on the PS3 and not a seperate PC.
I've been looking at flie listings like this for a long time. As long as your PC can read UDF2.5 and has a BD drive, you CAN open them like a disk, and even copy the whole disk to your HDD. What is missing is that once copied, the m2ts files themselves are scrambled and not useful unless you can deAACS them.

I believe people have done the same on a toshiba qosmio with a hd-dvd, but I believe you will get the same thing, only scrambled .EVO files instead of .m2ts files.

The PS3 version of Fedora 5 lacked UDF 2.5 capability so it couldn't dump the disc contents.  Once the proper UDF version was used the PS3 could then dump the disc, but again nothing new as several people that own those $600-$800 BD-ROMS could do the same thing with their Desktop PCs.  Do you understand why I'm saying this isn't news worthy and why the PS3 has not been "h@x0red"?

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 29 2006, 08:10 PM

bonevichio

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

After dumping the iso - has anyone tried to play back the iso using a virtual drive?

Bizquick

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »

I'm shocked that we havent found a way to hack the Blue ray movie content. Maybe cause I havent seen a PC blue ray player yet. if so. then really I would think it wouldnt be to hard. just take a shit load of time. but you could copy the content much like how you hack Apple I-Tune files that are locked. Just use a play to play the content and dump the output digitaly to a folder. quality would deffenly depend on your video settings on your PC and what card you use. but we all know that computers are way better viewers that TV and higher res.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »

AACS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS

It's little tougher than previous protection methods.  Will it get cracked...sure, but when is the key.  The guy who cracked the DVD and I-Tunes protection has said he will crack it in 07, or so I read on the interweb wink.gif.