xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 "phone Home" Question  (Read 338 times)

Lucied

• Archived User
Ps3 "phone Home" Question
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »

I hope this isn't in the wrong place.

I can get a touch paranoid, I admit.  But I'm wondering if the PS3 "phones home" with any info regarding the media I play on the system, whether it be metadata or file names from images, music, or videos?  I don't like the idea of anyone gathering info on personal photos, the type of music I like, or even television shows I downloaded because the series isn't out on DVD.  I only skimmed Sony's privacy policy, and I didn't catch any mention of the system sending this data to Sony, but like I said I can get paranoid. o_o

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »

If you are that paranoid and just admitted to getting tv shows before release you might as well get off the internet right now.   rolleyes.gif

Lucied

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Aug 28 2011, 03:26 AM) *

If you are that paranoid and just admitted to getting tv shows before release you might as well get off the internet right now.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

That was just an example...

I know companies like to build profiles of their users for marketing purposes.  They like to know what you buy or what you watch or what you listen to.  Sometimes it's unavoidable, and other times there's an opt-out.  I'm just curious if Sony does it.

I guess I just couldn't think of a better way to explain my question when I posted that.  I do get paranoid to an extent, but I suppose without context I came off like a wacko.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »

Yeap they do collect that data. What firmware are you on?

Lucied

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Sep 19 2011, 03:20 AM) View Post

Yeap they do collect that data. What firmware are you on?

I forget the exact number.  They updated the firmware a few days ago, and I'm on whatever version came just before that.  (I haven't used my PS3 in a couple weeks.)

Do they just collect usage data on PSN media, or all media?  I wouldn't think they would care much about music and videos I copy over from a thumb drive.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »

The PS3 phones home *ALL* the time. Every last program you run is stored in a log called the "pushlist" (google it), and regularly uploaded to Sony's servers. Every website your visit, every change you make... your entire play history is sent to Sony on regular intervals. Even while your PS3 is sitting idle, it's phoning home. This has been covered numerous times before.

I got that from a web site that is talking about the PS3 privacy patch. Since you are on an non-exploitable firmware you will just have to deal with your PS3 ratting you out on everything you do.

CODE
playstation.com
playstation.net
playstation.org
sony.com
sony.co.jp
bitwallet.co.jp
qriocity.com
trendmicro.com
allmusic.com
intertrust.com
marlin-drm.com
marlin-tmo.com
oasis-open.org
octopus-drm.com

You can block those addresses using your router and stop it but you will lose the benefits of being on the newest firmware.

Lucied

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »

I'm having no luck with Google.  What sort of info do the PS3 logs keep about non-DRM media?  Like stuff I buy or download via my computer but transfer over to the PS3.  Does it only keep the file name, or does it keep logs of meta data and file tags (like ID3 tags for MP3 files)?  Or does it even care to keep a log of non-DRM media?  (Media being anything other than games, of course.)

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lucied @ Nov 1 2011, 03:57 PM) View Post

I'm having no luck with Google.  What sort of info do the PS3 logs keep about non-DRM media?  Like stuff I buy or download via my computer but transfer over to the PS3.  Does it only keep the file name, or does it keep logs of meta data and file tags (like ID3 tags for MP3 files)?  Or does it even care to keep a log of non-DRM media?  (Media being anything other than games, of course.)

I am not 100% sure of what is collected but I have read that everything you do on the PS3 is reported to Sony.